SASS Wire Forum

What's yer go-to? Drink that is...

Doc Shapiro

Ok, so here's the situation.  You're at home and wantin a drink.  The bar is fully stocked.  What is it you make for yourself?  And if you decide to have 2 or 3 (or maybe 4 or 5), do you change it up or stick to the same?

For me, fill a glass with ice.  A little over half way with bourbon, fill with ginger ale.  I can drink 3 or 4 or 5 of these.  Love it.

What about you?

Sapphire martini. Liberal dash of vermouth, and multiple olives. Shaken 100 times and poured into a frozen glass.  Want it COLD.

OR vodka (quality label) tonic.

OR a decent whiskey on the rocks with a splash of water.

Do NOT "change it up."  That'll give ya a headache for sure!  :lol:

Irish and water or cheap gin and tonic. I like my gin coarse tasting when I mix it with tonic.

Depends on the mood, but there are basically three go-to libations for me.

A glass of petit syrah.

If it's hot outside, I like either orange or cranberry juice with vodka over lots of ice.

If I'm in a good mood and it's later in the evening, especially with friends, two fingers of any of several craft whiskeys in my bar.  Neat.

These days it's Sweet Tea or Sweet Tea and Lemonade. My sweet tea is not really all that sweet but it sure beats no sugar at all. You see, I became allergic to alcohol and I fought off diabetes but I still have to be careful.

When I drank it was cold beer, I was partial to Hefeweizen, and a shot of Jim Beam or Crown Royal. In my early days it was Jack and Pepsi. Coke would do if that was the only option.

Before sunrise, coffee.

Before sunset,  coffee.

Between sunset and lights out, bourbon.

Probably ought to drink more water. 

Whiskey and ginger ale, locally called a Highball!!:) Not picky about what kind of whiskey or ginger, I'm not much of a drinker but I do like the Bulliet bottle!!!:lol:

I will invariably just grab a beer. Guinness, or a lager along the lines of Sam Adams.

If I do go for liquor, it is likely to be vodka and tonic. On occasion I will get a taste for scotch.

My preference depends on my mood or activity. A big Zinfandfel with griled meat.Bourbon or Tequila while watching westerns. A nice dark beer after a really hot day or a gin and tonic if I'm wearing my pith helmet. Ocassionally a vodka martini made with Tito's and jalapeno stuffed olives.

And always a White Russian while watching The Big Lebowski.

Note: If you are watching an episode of Deadwood, do not try to match Al Swearengen bourbon for bourbon. It will not end well and you will miss some parts of the show. ;)

I love me a dark beer after a hard day's work. If I'm going to be sitting back relaxing though. Bourbon straight or with just a couple drops of water. I prefer cooled but not refrigerated. If I'm out drinking, whatever's available. Usually lean towards, Jack and Coke or vodka and coke. I also like tequila but I have to stay away from it as I can drink WAY too much of it.

When it's hot and I've finished my chores for the day, I like an ice cold Pacifico cervesa out of a bottle (hate drinking anything out of a can!).

In the evening my preference is Glenlivet single malt (the 18 year variety), sometimes neat, sometimes over ice, depends on my mood. In the summer I also sometimes drink it with soda as it is pretty refreshing. I don't drink anything with tonic as I think it tastes like crappola!

Jameson's Irish for everyday, Redbreast Irish for special occasions, Glenmorangie Original Scotch for variety.

The Basil Hayden's bourbon is in the cupboard for guests, mostly, although I test it to make sure it hasn't deteriorated.

All neat 95% of the time; ice the other 5%.  Never mixed with anything else.  If I want a Coke, I'll have a Coke.

16 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Ok, so here's the situation.  You're at home and wantin a drink.  The bar is fully stocked.  What is it you make for yourself?  And if you decide to have 2 or 3 (or maybe 4 or 5), do you change it up or stick to the same?

For me, fill a glass with ice.  A little over half way with bourbon, fill with ginger ale.  I can drink 3 or 4 or 5 of these.  Love it.

What about you?

Ice cold Coke, stirred, not shaken.

I like beer. It makes me a jolly good fellow...

OK, how 'bout a Clamato juice Caesar with enough Tabasco sauce to make ya sweat.

When I feel like drinking, which isn't often, I'll drink either beer (Shiner  Bock or Corona Extra) or Jack Daniels, neat.  Mixed drink? Margarita, Gin and Tonic, or Rye and Ginger Ale (rye is much better than bourbon with ginger ale.)

If Im setting at home and not going out, my go to libation is Revel Stout, Canadian whiskey on ice. Or Southern Comfort with ginger ale or 7-up. These are after chores are done. Ifn I still have chores to do then its beer (Molson). Ifn we are all horsebacking in the mountains and got a good camp fire going, and singing. its whatever anyone gives me.

Before I had to stop mine was a shot or three of Cazadores Reposada over ice. Unfortunately after a few surgeries I ended up on painkillers for chronic pain. Alcohol and painkillers do not play well together, AT ALL.

Lots of interesting drinks listed.  Another that I REALLY enjoy is a bourbon barrel aged stout.  They don't turn up often, but when they do, I'm all over it.

Today was a great day.  Job interview this morning, and an offer this afternoon.  I got into the good bourbon!  Woodford Reserve, neat

Archived