SASS Wire Forum

What's yer go-to? Drink that is...

Doc Shapiro

Allie's Special Lemon Drop

2.5 oz. Absolut Plain Vodka (I don't like flavored)

2 oz. Margarita Mix (I use Cuervo or Trader Joe's)

2 T Gran Mariner

Juice of 1 lemon

2 tsp. sugar

Mix until sugar is dissolved.

If you like, dip rim of glass in additional sugar.

Pour over crushed ice or cubes. Or, strain into the glass that is dipped in sugar.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:12 AM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Jameson's Irish for everyday, Redbreast Irish for special occasions, Glenmorangie Original Scotch for variety.

The Basil Hayden's bourbon is in the cupboard for guests, mostly, although I test it to make sure it hasn't deteriorated.

All neat 95% of the time; ice the other 5%.  Never mixed with anything else.  If I want a Coke, I'll have a Coke.

J-Bar I know what you mean by deteriorated.  Since, 1988 my lean bar has had a 1.75 liter bottle of JD & when my son was a teenager (he's in his 40's) my sippin' habits didn't fit my alias. So, it could sit in the bar untouched for a month or more.  On night after arriving home from work I poured a couple shots in a glass. I took one sip and spit it out because, I can't drink watered down whiskey.  I schooled my son that while I didn't want him drinking alcohol I didn't appreciate his attempt to hid his theft by adding water to maintain the level.  Thereby ruining my JD stash.

Glass of ice, two shots of grey goose, two thirds full of diet squirt, splash of pomegranate juice...

8 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

J-Bar I know what you mean by deteriorated.  Since, 1988 my lean bar has had a 1.75 liter bottle of JD & when my son was a teenager (he's in his 40's) my sippin' habits didn't fit my alias. So, it could sit in the bar untouched for a month or more.  On night after arriving home from work I poured a couple shots in a glass. I took one sip and spit it out because, I can't drink watered down whiskey.  I schooled my son that while I didn't want him drinking alcohol I didn't appreciate his attempt to hid his theft by adding water to maintain the level.  Thereby ruining my JD stash.

I loved your story!:D

During Prohibition in the 1930's, my grandfather kept a jar of bootleg whiskey hidden in his garage.  He would fortify himself after work before facing Grandma for the rest of the evening.  He noticed that the whiskey was getting used up faster than he thought it should be, and suspected my uncle, then a teenaged boy, of sampling his stash.  So Grampa poured the moonshine into another container and filled the original jar with turpentine.

Then next night when he got home from work, Grandma confronted him:  "Are you trying to kill me??!!"

Uncle Ralph loved telling this story.  One of the few times in his life he was blameless!!  :D

Glenfiddish 18 year, one ice cube.

since I can't afford it often I usually settle for a cold Stella Artois or a Hefeweisen.

Lynchburg Lemonade.

Shot of Jack Daniels, Shot of Triple Sec, Shot of Sweet & Sour mix and the rest in 7up tall glass with ice.

Incidentally, for those of you that like Margaritas, a suggestion:

After years of using Cointreau, Triple Sec and/or Grand Marnier, I found a new (to me) go-to orange liqueur, which I think is better than all of the rest:

Patron Citronge

Great fresh, orange flavor

LL

17 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Incidentally, for those of you that like Margaritas, a suggestion:

After years of using Cointreau, Triple Sec and/or Grand Marnier, I found a new (to me) go-to orange liqueur, which I think is better than all of the rest:

Patron Citronge

Great fresh, orange flavor

LL

If you want to try something really interesting, use Mezcal instead of Tequila, and Blood Orange juice instead of the normal lime.  It's a wonderful combination.

I'm a cheap drunk...

That said, Under the circumstances, probably a glass of  water. 

But when it is really hot, a cold beer, preferably a Moosehead, a Bore's head pale ale. 

On a cool winter night, perhaps a little MacNaughton's. 

21 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Allie's Special Lemon Drop

2.5 oz. Absolut Plain Vodka (I don't like flavored)

2 oz. Margarita Mix (I use Cuervo or Trader Joe's)

2 T Gran Mariner

Juice of 1 lemon

2 tsp. sugar

Mix until sugar is dissolved.

If you like, dip rim of glass in additional sugar.

Pour over crushed ice or cubes. Or, strain into the glass that is dipped in sugar.

Bet you don't drink much of that.  Takes an hour to make it. :P :D

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Bet you don't drink much of that.  Takes an hour to make it. :P :D

Here is the part of the recipe I did not share. Do I get the last laugh. :lol:

I like to mix a big batch of lemons and sugar before leaving for an annual match. The sugar has time to dissolve then. Actually, you could mix it all ahead of time and just pour over ice when you are ready to drink it.

I prefer to put it in a 24 oz. thermos mug with a lid over ice. That stays cold and lasts me all evening

I rarely drink, but when I do my favorite is a properly made Mai Tai. It’s a good thing I’m not a heavy drinker, because making one takes a bit of time and some expensive ingredients, but they’re potent enough that one’s all I need. And of course I have to drink it out of a tiki mug. 

4 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Well after reading ALL these posts, I have come to the conclusion that... we are all a bunch of drunks. (Jest joshin)

Guilty. Not only that, I've already enjoyed a glass of wine and a Bloody Mary.  :rolleyes:

Archived