SASS Wire Forum

I am now Retired !!!

For those that did not follow the Kansas State - Classic Cowboy Showdown thread.  I am now retired after 20 years at Texas Woman's University, Facilities Management and Construction in Denton Texas.  Prior to that for 25 years I worked for 3 different Architects in Fort Worth Texas.  So that is 45 years in the industry, 25 working with Owners and Contractors producing construction documents and 20 years as the owner working with Architects and Contractors marking up construction documents.  Now I can travel and play Cowboy without having to deal with limited vacation time.

Started off my retirement May 1st by traveling to Kansas to shoot the State Championship and Classic Cowboy Showdown.  Later this month I will shoot the Mississippi State Championship then the Wisconsin State Championship.  Mississippi will be my 22nd and Wisconsin my 23rd different state to shoot Cowboy Action.  Maybe I will get to meet you down the road if we have not already met during my 22 years of shooting Cowboy Action.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

It won’t be long before you wonder how you ever found time to hold down a job!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Congratulations @Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L :D

I retired July 4th of 2022. I love it! I don’t have the money I once did, but I don’t care. 

I hope you have many many days of fun in your retirement. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Go get'em Scout. Good seeing you again in Kansas. See you somewhere down the trail.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

Congratulations!

I worked for 48 years, then retired at 69, seven years ago. I'm occasionally asked if I miss work. 

I say that I do miss it in many ways. I miss the action and involvement. But I have no desire at all to do it again, and I like being retired very much.

Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations.  You have arrived.  I retired about 8 years ago and I adjusted to it really well.  I'll be at the Mississippi State match in a couple of weeks.  Hope to see you there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

^^^^ THIS

• Thanks 1

Congrats, Scout!!  Hopefully, Uno and I will be joining you soon.  Hope to see you at some matches here in Florida.  

• Thanks 1

Congrats, retirement is what we all work for. My grandaughter graduated from TWU, good school. TN State is the first weekend in June, if not this year maybe next. Come on down.

Imis

• Thanks 1

Congratulations and Happy Retirement :D:FlagAm:

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

For those that did not follow the Kansas State - Classic Cowboy Showdown thread.  I am now retired after 20 years at Texas Woman's University, Facilities Management and Construction in Denton Texas.  Prior to that for 25 years I worked for 3 different Architects in Fort Worth Texas.  So that is 45 years in the industry, 25 working with Owners and Contractors producing construction documents and 20 years as the owner working with Architects and Contractors marking up construction documents.  Now I can travel and play Cowboy without having to deal with limited vacation time.

Started off my retirement May 1st by traveling to Kansas to shoot the State Championship and Classic Cowboy Showdown.  Later this month I will shoot the Mississippi State Championship then the Wisconsin State Championship.  Mississippi will be my 22nd and Wisconsin my 23rd different state to shoot Cowboy Action.  Maybe I will get to meet you down the road if we have not already met during my 22 years of shooting Cowboy Action.  

Hey!  I'll look for you at the Wisconsin match.  Congratulations on the retirement.  I'm working on mine but I'm doing a lousy job at it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 8:41 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

^^^^ THIS

True, but you don't HAVE TO BE most places unless you want to be.  "I have nowhere to be and have all day to get there."

I can't be hired, fired, promoted, demoted, transferred, laid off, and I don't have to take much from anyone.  I have become very adept at telling people what I think and using terms that are not always polite and almost never politically correct.  I buy things I want, but have difficulty justifying it to myself some of the time.

I have more time for friends, hobbies, reading and watching videos, for going places "just because", meeting new people and reconnecting with some that have fallen off of my every day contact list.

I can take time to do things that need done (or put them off for as long I choose to) and can start a new hobby or restart an  old one.

I can smile at pretty women and babies, stop to pet a dog, eat lunch or dinner at a new place or two....or several....comment on someone's hat or car or motorcycle, and take time to go watch pronghorns, eagles, horses, or just to look at the scenery.

Being a widower (8 years tomorrow) I can have lady friends who are simply that: friends.  I can also dodge the attempts to  set me up with single women.  Thanks anyway folks, but I have never had any difficulty meeting women (or anyone else) and I don't want any romantic entanglements.

So welcome to a new sort of freedom.  Take time to get used to it and practice doing nothing at all sometimes.  If you're ever out this way let me know and we can share a meals, spin some yarns, and just goof off.  Your choice.

Oh, yeah: congratulations, too.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Like 4

Have a great retirement, you earned it. I retired 24 years ago after 40 years as an aerospace engineering manager. Don't know when I ever had time to work!!!

• Thanks 1

That's awesome!

Been retired 10 years. When people ask you (and they will) if you miss working, use this:

I miss the clowns, but I don't miss the circus.

Congratulations!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Congratulations, Scout. I hope you enjoy many years of retirement and cowboy shooting.

• Thanks 1

Good for you!  Enjoy retirement and shooting more!!   SB

• Thanks 1

Seems like once you retire or at least semi-retire then everyone is finding ways to help you fill your time.  Hope all goes well.  Congratulations.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 6:10 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

My father in law described his own retirement in very nearly these exact words!

Edited by Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103
  • Thanks 1