SASS Wire Forum

Which pistol do you draw first?

Procedural Pete

When I started shooting SASS about a year ago, as a right-handed shooter, I started drawing my right or strong-side pistol first. I've noticed many shooters draw their weak-side pistol first.  I noticed today while practicing transitions that I could be laying my shotgun down with my strong hand while starting to draw the pistol with the weak hand. That seems to be a good argument for a week hand first draw. What are your reasons for drawing the weak or strong hand pistol first?

I will alter which pistols is pulled first, not for usually speed, but for safety reasons.  I will pull my left pistol first if moving to the right.  It keeps my body between the pulled pistol and spotters/TO. I may also choose which pistol to lead with if there is movement after shooting.   If a shooter has to move to the left after shooting, the right holster comes to the pistol as the shooter moves.  The left holster moves away.

Mileage will vary, and there are much better shooters than this cowboy.

I draw my left pistol first.  It is a habit that started a long time ago that I need to change.  The stages at many of the matches move from left to right and drawing left first works fine BUT, as more and more stages are being designed differently I need to draw according to stage design rather than habit.

Blackfoot

I shoot gunfighter so most of the time I draw both, now depending on the stage ill shoot the left or right which ever makes it flow smoother

Draw the one that makes the associated transitions easiest and smoothest.  Split pistol stages can be interesting in that regard. 

I use a cross-draw on the left side and I pull that revolver first, with my right, strong side hand, simultaneously raising my left hand to engage with my right, in a two-hand shooting grip to fire five rounds. 

I then give up right-hand control of the empty revolver to my left hand, grabbing it over the top of the cylinder and re-holstering it as my now-free right hand is pulling the right, strong side revolver.  

By that time, the left side cross-draw revolver is secured and my now-free left hand is rising at the same time to engage the right, strong side revolver to fire the second five rounds in the two-hand shooting grip.

I then disengage my left hand, giving up control to my right, and re-holster the right, strong-side revolver as I move to the next shooting position.

If I can I always draw my crossdraw first depending on the stage and how it's written.

I drew the left gun from cross draw first for so many years that now that I've transitioned to double strongside I just automatically draw the left gun first.

7 hours ago, Procedural Pete said:

When I started shooting SASS about a year ago, as a right-handed shooter, I started drawing my right or strong-side pistol first. I've noticed many shooters draw their weak-side pistol first.  I noticed today while practicing transitions that I could be laying my shotgun down with my strong hand while starting to draw the pistol with the weak hand. That seems to be a good argument for a week hand first draw. What are your reasons for drawing the weak or strong hand pistol first?

What Catagory are you shooting?

As a Duelist i start with whatever is more efficient. Things to think about, sequence of the targets, direction of your movement after last shot is fired, what gun are you transitioning to. 

You are correct about laying down shotgun with strong hand. But you can just as easily lay it down with your weak hand. The stage tells the story.

EMN

3 hours ago, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

I use a cross-draw on the left side and I pull that revolver first, with my right, strong side hand, simultaneously raising my left hand to engage with my right, in a two-hand shooting grip to fire five rounds. 

I then give up right-hand control of the empty revolver to my left hand, grabbing it over the top of the cylinder and re-holstering it as my now-free right hand is pulling the right, strong side revolver.  

By that time, the left side cross-draw revolver is secured and my now-free left hand is rising at the same time to engage the right, strong side revolver to fire the second five rounds in the two-hand shooting grip.

I then disengage my left hand, giving up control to my right, and re-holster the right, strong-side revolver as I move to the next shooting position.

Exactly the same approach for me.  It's more important for me to focus on muzzle control then the next (if any) transition.

SC

It all depends on the stage.  Depending on the movement and what came before and what comes after, I may draw strong first, I may draw weak first.  If you can draw or holster on the move, it saves you time.  As you noted, if you can be grabbing the next gun while holstering, it saves you time.  It's all about the transitions.

I think having a set order when you start is a good thing, but as your skills and experience progress, allowing the stage to dictate which you  draw first based on transitions is definitely a time saver, and adds fun as you figure out how to do things more efficiently.  

Grizz

Holsters at sides I draw left, weak side first. Mostly.

Crossdraw & strong side (right) I pull my cross draw first.

When one is cross dominant (left eye/right handed) one usually says "Who cares". Bound to get screwed up somewhere :ph34r:

Howdy Procedural Pete.

Ive been on this here wire a long time and never said this before.

Please consider picking a different alias.

That one has an odd sound about it.

Best

CR

If I'm wearing a stripped shirt the right one first.

If I'm wearing a sold shirt the left one first.

If I'm wearing a shirt with a pattern..........both at the same time 

I shoot two handed with two straight side holsters, i.e. no cross draws..  If you shoot that way, time your right hand first vs. left hand first for 10 shots.  I'm right handed and cock with my left thumb.  Pulling the right hand revolver first is about .5 seconds faster than pulling the left hand revolver.  That's mostly because of the gun transfer from the left to the right hand for me.  YMMV.

I may change depending on the stage.  If I'm going right I want pull the right hand revolver.  Going left, I want the left hand revolver.  Occasionally, there are stages that start on the left with split pistols so I'll make a decision based on what the next firearm is and how far away it is if I want to go left first.  

This year, I realized one of the best shooters never transfers the gun from hand to hand.  With two straight holsters, he shoots the right hand revolver cocking with the left thumb and the left hand revolver cocking with the right thumb.   I wish I had started that way because then it doesn't matter which one you pull first.  Alas, I'm a bit too old to change.

NNV

the stage should determine it.

I draw right first - reason being I 'm holstering left with left hand and the right hand is free to grab the next gun.
I'm right handed so there's that too.

I suppose if you're on a stage with a rifle at port arms and you set it down with your right hand you could draw left pistol first since left hand is free..but then you're holstering right pistol with right hand and need to grab the shotgun...

There are so many things to consider...which guns in what order, direction of movement, etc.

10 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Depends on the stage and the transitions for that stage.

This:)

If both pistols are shot from the same position:

If I am going to the pistol from the shotgun as I shuck with the right hand I draw the left pistol.

If I am going to the pistol from the rifle I lay the rifle down with left hand (upside down) and draw right pistol.

If I am moving to the right I draw right pistol first so my left is being holstered as I move, leaving right hand free to pick up next long gun.

If I am moving to the left and the shotgun I will draw left pistol first so my right will be reholstering and left will be drawing shotshells.

If I am moving to the left and the rifle I will draw right first so my left will be reholstering and the right will be free to pick up rifle.

My draws are not the fastest around but they are within 1 or 2 tenths of each other. If you have larger differences you might simply practice the slower draw until they are closer to each other.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

As double duelist, I tend to draw depending on stage direction.  If I am starting a pistol sequence from the left, I will draw with the left first and if sequence starts from the right: right pistol first.  If there is no advantage from either direction, i almost always will draw right first; that way with splits, i always know second gun will be on left side.  H. K. Uriah: I disagree that you have no transitions.   Being double duelist gives a great advantage for transition since you can be more effective by having a free hand when you have a preference of hand to pick up rifle or shotgun. I actually prefer to pick up my rifle with my right and my shotgun with my left (since i draw shells with my right) so in some cases this will affect my choice.  Agiain.. it depends on the shooter and the stage...smooth transitions = better times in most cases

This year I decided after many a year of shooting Duelist right handed in Classic Cowboy to switch to Double Duelist in Classic Cowboy. I'm right handed and left eye dominate. What got me thinking I can do this is at work if I'm inserting lines or drawing blood from a persons left arm I've trained myself to do it left handed.

So...I spent the winter dry firing. At our recent state match I spent a bit of time at the speed pistol stage and timed myself several times shooting Left gun first then Right, then Right gun first then Left and finally all Right handed. #1 Consistently I was faster shooting Left gun first then Right. #2 All right handed and #3 R then L. I also wear a opaque patch over my L eye.

Then today at our monthly match I broke my personal record for fastest 10-10-4 stage and I was shooting it L then R. And to me I'm still a little awkward L handed but it's getting better.

13 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

It all depends on the stage.  Depending on the movement and what came before and what comes after, I may draw strong first, I may draw weak first.  If you can draw or holster on the move, it saves you time.  As you noted, if you can be grabbing the next gun while holstering, it saves you time.  It's all about the transitions.

I think having a set order when you start is a good thing, but as your skills and experience progress, allowing the stage to dictate which you  draw first based on transitions is definitely a time saver, and adds fun as you figure out how to do things more efficiently.  

Grizz

I didn't expect it to be so complicated.   It seems that the consensus is to let the stage determine. That makes sense. I get so easily confused already, changing how I draw with each stage could be interesting. I may need to stay with a set order for a while.

8 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy Procedural Pete.

Ive been on this here wire a long time and never said this before.

Please consider picking a different alias.

That one has an odd sound about it.

Best

CR

There is a story behind that alias. When I started shooting I got so nervous and confused that I frequently got a procedural. I had picked a different handle but I referred to myself as Procedural Pete. When I officially signed up for SASS and I saw I needed alternate names I used Procedural Pete as one of the alternates. That the name they picked. I don't use that name at the matches. By the way, I haven't had a procedural since...this afternoon.

I am right handed and shoot duelist.  My natural instinct is to go to my right pistol. If the stage directions specify split pistols I shoot the left gun first because after doing something else in the flurry of the stage (shooting rifle or shotgun) I will automatically go to the right gun to finish.

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 1:50 AM, Procedural Pete said:

... What are your reasons for drawing the weak or strong hand pistol first?

I'm left handed and right eyed.

Left pistol is shot with the left hand and the right with the right hand.

If the string is left to right I start with the left pistol.  And if it starts on the right then the right pistol.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, Doc Shapiro said:

Depends on the stage and the transitions for that stage.

Haven't seen ya' for a while but I always listened to your advice. I also agree.....I let the transitions dictate the pistol order....it's faster and you don't have to "remember" what pistol to use when.,,,,,it just happens naturally.

Archived