SASS Wire Forum

Songs that have been seared into your brain

All of the above, and more.  I do remember one day, riding along with Petey, & it came on the radio & I'm singing along: I turned 21 in prison, doing life without parole...

His response: how do you even know that?  I can even remember Dylan lyrics, and that's a lot of words.

I did like "Love Shack" by the B-52's.

About 20 years ago I met a friend for a beer in my hometown.

It was early, around 5pm.

Eating, drinking, talking. repeat repeat repeat.

Around 8pm a group came in. Sound hardware. 3 ring binders around the bar. Place filled up.

Karaoke night was here. The quiet night of reminiscing was gone.

Every drunk in the place, for some reason, wanted to sing Love Shack. Totally not kidding.

Nothing like having a song you like modified with extra notes and 80 proof shots by people who think singing louder is better.

Left at 9:30. Still can't listen to Love Shack. It has been un-seared.

We played Love Shack in a wedding band I played in 20 years ago. We had to play that song at least 3 times a night! My God how I hated that song and still do!:(

Celebration is another one and they still play that song at weddings today! Really???:o

My top 3
#1- Charlie Siringo- Red Steagall.

#2- Too old to die young-  Moe Bandy

#3- Bandy the rodeo clown- Moe Bandy

I supplement my income by fronting a very good band!!  We have a song list that includes over 400 songs and I'm the lead singer on 385 of them!!  One or another of the songs we cover that were originally performed by the Beatles is probably the first song I learned as a jr. high schooler and I performed them back when they were new!!  My favorites are those and numerous old and new blues songs!!!

As a early hard core Iron horseman,   Steppingwolf  'Get your motor runnin'

Then as life slowed me down, ' big iron on his hip.   The man that shot Liberty Valance,  Ghost riders in the sky.

About 98% of those listed above

Ghost Riders in the Sky

Long Black Train

Paper Roses

He stopped Loving Her today 

Put your sweet lips a little closer to the Phone

"Beth" by KISS

" Elizabeth" by the Statler Brothers

Jabez Cowboy

A bunch of us American kids were playing hockey in Davos Switzerland in 1972.  American Pie had just become a big hit.  Whenever we hit a local bar, and they learned we were Americans, American Pie was on the Jukebox.  Must have heard that song a hundred times.  So, yeah the lyrics are seared in my brain and every time I hear it, it brings back some great memories.

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy JABEZ:

A question about one of your listings, 'Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone".

Would that not be Jim Reeves  "He'll Have To Go"?

..........Widder

Why oh why did I open this thread??. :angry::P

This thread may never end.

Put me down for Linda Ronstadt singing “Long, Long Time”.  Especially in her Cub Scout uniform. The eyes on that girl!  Wife says she’s the only girlfriend I am allowed to have.  

Seamus

For whatever reason that I can't figure, lately, I've found myself singing or humming "Loch Lomand" in my head...

"Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road, and I'll be in Scotland afore ye..."

On 3/30/2020 at 9:36 AM, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

One from my time in France

Never been in France but drank a lot of beer to this one.

Burned into my brain would have to be I want to go home. Every tent hootch or barracks in 1967 had this blaring.  I was a little more mature so I drank gallons of gin and tonic to it.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:36 AM, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

My good luck song on the juke box at the Timber Tavern in Boulder, Colorado, 1965-67.  Pizza, beer, coeds.

Sigh.

9 hours ago, Noz said:

Burned into my brain would have to be I want to go home. Every tent hootch or barracks in 1967 had this blaring.  I was a little more mature so I drank gallons of gin and tonic to it.

That song brings back good memories from my 3yrs in France. I was there from 1955 to December 1957. Made it home for Christmas. My drink of choice in France was gin and lemonaide (local concoction.)

CCR's "looking out my back door."

1970, just out of HS, my best friend and I road tripped to Kansas to see a friend of ours who had moved because his father was in the Army. Our parents were camping in Illinois that week-end, so instead of stopping at home, we joined them. On your way home, that song came on the radio.

Like most, we went our own way, and over the years, had less contact with each other. We reconnected a few years ago now that we are both retired. I told him that every time I hear that song, I think of that trip. He said he has the same reaction.

On another note, I use to enjoy messing with a co-worker. Every day, I'd hum, whistle, or sing a different song first thing in the morning. He'd curse me up one side and down the other because he'd have it in his head all day long.

Archived