SASS Wire Forum

Those that have been around...and will be forgotten.

Phantom, SASS #54973

Talking to newer members...mention folks like China Camp and others...get a blank stare.

Trust me when I say that others will soon be forgotten. In a few years folks will say the Judge who? Tex...???? Kate...who's she?

That's life some say...just too bad that some are eager to expedite the process of forgetting these folks that have given so damn much to this game.

That's all...and I WILL NOT respond to any comments posted on the WIRE. If you have some deep down need to contact me, send me an email.

Later...see ya on the range.

Phantom

I recently met two shooters who had been in the game a year each. I really liked them. They'd never heard of Tex or PaleWolf Brunelle.

I somewhat understand never having heard of the founders; but their TG should have sent them rule clarifications by PWB during the last year.

Well I knew most of them, and have not forgotten them. Some left a bigger footprint than others, but they all added color to the game which became a central point in the life of many of us.

I agree with what Phantom said. Something we need to remember Is that to the new participants of this game the people that they shoot with now will become the ones that they remember. Yes even Phantom!

So let’s remember to act the way that our heroes of this game acted and leave A good memory for those who are just starting now.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Talking to newer members...mention folks like China Camp and others...get a blank stare.

Trust me when I say that others will soon be forgotten. In a few years folks will say the Judge who? Tex...???? Kate...who's she?

That's life some say...just too bad that some are eager to expedite the process of forgetting these folks that have given so damn much to this game.

That's all...and I WILL NOT respond to any comments posted on the WIRE. If you have some deep down need to contact me, send me an email.

Phantom

So true.   Much of life is like that.

I never had the pleasure of meeting many of our founders or our more 'dedicated' members who

gave much to our game and set 'honorable' standards to help ensure SASS and CAS had a solid

foundation on which to build.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

The guy that started this topic......cant recall.....I think I met him a few times.....I think....oh heck, it dont matter, even if I do remember him, I'll soon forget him.....oh look a bird!

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

Good post Cowboy.

Thanks, Phantom,

You re right on..

It wasn't just that they were "The Folks" back them.

It IS that they established a community, a philosophy and the character for what we enjoy today.

It surely isn't the same as they started in action and maybe goals,  but the character and community have certainly lasted.  At least around here.

Best to them all and us for carrying it along.

Ol'  #4

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I WILL NOT respond to any comments posted on the WIRE

You mean on this topic correct? because your comments are a huge source of entertainment for me when i'm perusing random threads on here :P

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

We shared posse duties with some of the best. 

In my mind, Bojack topped that list. -_-

Respectfully, 

OLG 

How about Sara Sota?  She was the SASS office staff for years, even as SASS was growing exponentially.  The SASS office was in her garage.  Her husband was a SASS founder whose alias I have forgotten, and I'm not even a new shooter.  

Folks are known for and will be remembered for different reasons. The things remembered will also vary depending on who is doing the remembering. A lot depends on the interactions shared.

For instance, I have never shot with or met Phantom. I'll remember him for his persona on the wire mixed in with input from people that do know him. Whether that's fair or accurate isn't really of any consequence. People who shoot regularly with him, probably wouldn't think of the wire at all when they hear the name Phantom. People he has had interactions with will remember him. It will be up to THOSE people to perpetuate his memory to the people that didn't know him.

I am one of those people that gives a blank stare when you mention the name China Camp. It is because of ignorance and certainly not out of any disrespect(I even respect Widder). I didn't know him. Other than me thinking that is one cool alias and reading a comment from Phantom in the past calling him his mentor, I am at a loss. Sure, I have heard the name but that's the extent of it.

No telling what people will remember about me when I'm gone.

I'd love to hear all about some of these people. Maybe hear some stories campfire style about them from people that knew them. 

How do we go about making a sticky thread on here, or even a separate section of the wire. We have the saloon, classifieds, and merchants corner, etc. Can we add a section dedicated to the history of some of these people? I'm sure there are some great memories that need sharing, and I for one would love to learn more about them. 

I know that SASS has always had really great themes for EOT each year.

@Youngblood @Youngblood #60304 mentioned what could be a great theme,  Shoulders of GIANTS.

Dedicate that theme to some of the greats of the sport who have gone on.

For those of you wanting to know more about China Camp: https://www.sassnet.com/HallofFame/ChinaCamp-HOF2004.php

There are also some more profiles on some of the SASS HoF members:

https://sassnet.com/Museum-Inductees-001A.php

2 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

There are also some more profiles on some of the SASS HoF members:

https://sassnet.com/Museum-Inductees-001A.php

Thanks for the link.  I didn’t know that existed.  Hope that page will be completed soon.

2 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Thanks for the link.  I didn’t know that existed.  Hope that page will be completed soon.

There is also a world champion page that has profiles of many of SASS's world champions.

This one has not been updated with 2018 and 2019 results, however.

https://www.sassnet.com/EoT/champions.php

I HAVE been around for a bit and I DO remember the great World Champion (many times) China Camp.

Never met the man, but he was an icon in our sport long before we had sub-10 sec stages and stand and deliver as a big part of matches.

He set the bar for following Champions! Bounty Hunter was another great Champion in our sport. His video really got me going into CAS.

Diamond Dick was another in the Northern California area. What a man to look up to. The list goes on...

These folks put their heart and soul into Cowboy action shooting and SASS and deserve a special place in our history.

In my heart, they will never be forgotten.

16 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I recently met two shooters who had been in the game a year each. I really liked them. They'd never heard of Tex or PaleWolf Brunelle.

I somewhat understand never having heard of the founders; but their TG should have sent them rule clarifications by PWB during the last year.

In the 8 years that I have been a member of SASS I have never received any correspondence from a TG (don't even know who my TG is) or anyone else from SASS for that matter. The folks I have come to know, the knowledge about the sport I have gained, and the questions I had that were answered, all came from the good folks on this wire. For that I thank you all!

I'm a noob shooter, and get more historical exposure here, than at the range.
We have a few of the highly-respected old-timers in our local posses, who I have had the pleasure of meeting.

This is my last year of Living In The Sixties... so I am very much aware how the oceans of time wash away the best sand castles.
Every year the loss of family and pets drives this point home.

For me, I see as much loss in the DIY gunsmiths as much as the other movers and shakers.
I see the names here regularly, but I don't see mention of those skills being passed along to the next generation.

I am a member of Diamond Dick's cowboy town, but know nothing about the man himself.
Until a moment ago, I didn't know how it was named.

I met the Judge and thanked him for starting this great sport, he’s a great guy. I told him how much money he cost me and we laughed about that!:) I also met Tex and his wife, we shared a picnic table at GOA in maybe 2005. Great people, as friendly as can be! 

Several years ago there was a subject that I can't remember now but was passionate about it then.

I was walking thru the main meeting area at the range in Sparta Ill.. There were two men standing and debating the subject.  I had to squeeze past them and the taller man made a comment that I was violently opposed to.  I stopped and interjected myself into the conversation and told the taller gentleman how wrong he was and how his ideas would be the death of the sport. I supposed that he was a newby and gauged my comments accordingly so that his incorrect thoughts were argued completely down and he would be a proper thinker from then on.  I left the conversation with a feeling of victory in that I had contributed to the education of  a newer shooter.

The gentleman in question has not followed thru with my wishes.  The last time I saw him he was surrounded by shooters so I did not get the chance to straighten him out again.

Let me tell you though that the next time I see Tex, I'm going to let him have it again,  At least I would if I could remember what the topic was.

23 hours ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

How about Sara Sota?  She was the SASS office staff for years, even as SASS was growing exponentially.  The SASS office was in her garage.  Her husband was a SASS founder whose alias I have forgotten, and I'm not even a new shooter.  

RJ Poteet, original Wild Bunch and a SASS founder.

I am in complete agreement with Snakebite and Ol' #4. I've met most of the founders and appreciate their conception and promotion of the Spirit of the Game to keep us focused. My only lament is no longer getting to do the shenanigans we used to do during a match on the clock. I'm getting a little tired of 10, 10, 4 but understand that we have had to adapt. 

When I started Tequila was a name I heard often. I bought a set of his training videos and they helped me enormously. I went from a poor shooter to mid-pack mostly. but I got better and that was the whole point. I appreciate that he was there with the info I needed. I have met some of the founders and old timers and enjoyed that too.  It is a great game .

Imis

Archived