SASS Wire Forum

Your all time very bestest Western characther (TV or Movie)

Tom Harte from Broken Trail.

Broken Trail chaps 3.jpg

Dang...as many times as I have thought about this it is still hard to pick just ONE!

Okay, character, not actor...Matthew Quigley

AUGUSTUS McCRAE.

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

Capt. Augustus McRae and Capt. Woodrow F. Call are a toss up for me.  Lonesome Dove, my favorite movie.  Tombstone a close second.

ff66c2371e2af57a74cdd53d74c4c4e0.jpg

394b671d4001da78858897f765b6831d.jpg

Jack Elam, you say? ;)

jackelam.jpg

Festis Hagan TV, Jack Elam the big screen.

Favorite character? Wow... That's actually quite hard for me! Some that come immediately to mind:

steve-mcqueen-as-vin-in-the-magnificent-seven.jpg

600px-QDUSharps1874Long-4.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

601px-Tomb-saaq3.jpg

Quigley is a durn tough one to beat. Too many great ones out there. Like...

Tom in Crossfire Trail

serveimage (15).jpeg

Tom in Monte Walsh

serveimage (16).jpeg

Tom in Saber River

serveimage (18).jpeg

Tom in Shadow Riders

serveimage (22).jpeg

And there's this other guy...

serveimage (13).jpeg

Good thing Tom likes that other fella. Them two hombres could be trouble fer each other. 

serveimage (21).jpeg

Wow, so many to choose from............overall I'd have to say Clint Eastwood especially in Outlaw Josey Wales!

Here's the problem. My parents limited my TV time as a kid, so almost all the westerns are like first run to me now, so I have not seen all of them. I am enjoying Hopalong Cassidy every Saturday night now. I enjoyed Bat Masterson when it was on a few years ago. Tom Selleck is great in every western I have seen him in. My wife wishes I looked like Sam Elliot. And, who doesn't love Doc Holliday and Kurt Russell in Tombstone? I would love to ride into Tucson with Manolito (Henry Darrow) in High Chaparral. But, I would have to say my all-time favorite is James Drury as The Virginian.

I guess my favorite would depend on which movie I was watching at the time.

My vote is all of the above.

But I plumb forgot about Larry Storch from F-Troop.

Or maybe Chevy Chase in Three Amigos? (LOL) :lol:

And I've mentioned this before, a bit of Trivia, Ken Curtis who played Festus, started out as singer in the way-back Original Sons of the Pioneers, country band.

I'm tempted to say Clint Eastwood, cause it seemed like he was always the same character in all of his movies.  But to stick with the guidelines set forth, I'm going with the sheriff (james garner) in support your local sheriff. 

Doggone it I didn't hit send quick enough, now I can't submit without mentioning the sheriff from Blazing Saddles and the sidekick from Rustler's Rhapsody.  Oh and of course James's sidekick, but he's already been mentioned. 

Funny how I don't remember any of those character's names. 

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Dang...as many times as I have thought about this it is still hard to pick just ONE!

Okay, character, not actor...Matthew Quigley

Absolutely!

Followed closely by Doc Holiday by Val Kilmer.

Steve McQeen in Wanted Dead Or Alive, The Magnificent Seven.  Bill Boyd as Hopalong Cassidy (MEtv keeps advertising him, but don't see that in Denver! :( )   Hank Worden as Old Mose in The Searchers and a number of other characters in John Ford movies.  Ben Johnson as Sgt. Tyree in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.  John Wayne as Capt. Nathan Brittles in the same movie.  Richard Boone as Paladin. 

21 hours ago, Dead Eye Jake said:

Capt. Augustus McRae and Capt. Woodrow F. Call are a toss up for me.  Lonesome Dove, my favorite movie.  Tombstone a close second

+ 1 to this. I also like Man With No Name - Clint Eastwood.

Archived