SASS Wire Forum

who shoots old model vaqueros

i have been in sass for years and started with Ruger vaquero's in ,45 lc which I customized they are slick  i haven't been to a match for a few years because of life events but i am doing to start shooting again.

• Like 2

Since I shoot only black in 44-40 Vaqueros, I guess I do.  If one wants to shoot 44-40, they will always be shooting the Old Models as Ruger quit making the 44-40 when they came out with their New Models.

With my backups and what I need when I shoot Josey Wales, I have eight 5 1/2, four 7 1/2, two 4 5/8 and four other manufacturers, all in stainless.

I have two 5 1/2 & two 7 1/2 stainless OM Vaqueros in 45LC.  I had previously sold 22 stainless OM Vaqueros to Barleycorn to get them back in circulation.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider

I shoot a pair of 357s and use to shoot 44 mags.  The weight of the revolvers protects my arthritic hands from recoil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do. Love 'em. Got a stainless pair of plowhandles in 45 Colt and 2 Bisley pair in 45 Colt. I can't ever figger which I like best. ;)

I does seem like this has become a show and shine post. The original Ruger Vaquero was replaced with the New Model Vaquero circa 2005. 2025 will be the 20th anniversary of the introduction of the New Model Vaquero, and 20 years since the last of the originals rolled out of the factory. I've sold most of mine, I honestly find them a bit big in the hand, but they are built rugged and strong. I kept one in 45 Colt, one in 44 Mag and one in 44-40. I don't use them often. 

TheBigBoys.thumb.jpg.4637563b3f12080def6fe5d3452dfd45.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

I recommend them to new shooters as "tank-like reliable".

That "tank-like reliable" went out the window with the New Vaquero, IMO.  At least the "tank" part.  Still a fine choice for this game, but "tanks" they are not.

I currently have 4 pair. Two pair of SS 45s, a pair of 38/357 blued and my favorites are 38/357 SS 4.62 bbls. I have big hands so they just seem to fit better. 

I have three pair.  44 40 with bisley grips that I like for duelist.  38 40 with extra 40 Smith cylinder plow handle grips.  357 birdshead that I'm converting to bisley.  The birdshead are too small for me to handle securely one handed.  All have the super blackhawk hammers and are in stainless steel. 

One each, 7-1/2" OMV and 5-1/2" OMV, both with convertible cylinders .44-40 and .44 Extra-Long Russian (aka .44 Mangle-em). Haven't been shooting for a couple of years, but hope to get back into it when the weather gets a bit warmer (but not too warm!). 

Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year, Pards!

Your obedient servant,

Trailrider

I have 2 and a half pair.

*1 pair 7 1/2" .44 mag stainless with stag grips

*1 pair 5 1/2"  44 mag stainless with stag grips

* 4 5/8" .44 mag stainless with birdshead / stag grips

Edited by T.K.
Fat fingers

I wouldn't shoot 'em even if I owned 'em.  I do believe I fired a pair of 'em that were borrowed at a match in AL several years ago.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yeah...OMV's suck...

:wacko:

Phantom

Yep

they suck so bad I currently have three pairs. :P

Guess I am just a slow learner!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me rephrase...  I wouldn't shoot (AT) them even if I owned 'em.  I did "fire" a pair of borrowed ones oncet.   Did the New Year celebratin' suck all the sense of humor outta y'all?