SASS Wire Forum

How many expensive hobbies do you have?

Pat Riot

42 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

gun collection, CAS, WB, insulator collection, beer stein collection, motorcycles (9), and my jeep... sooo not too many lol

Only 9? :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I no longer have the time or money for hobbies.....All I can do now is dream about them.

Once upon a time they were:

Hotrods.........all gone

Motorcycles.........all gone

Guns.........hiding in the safe

Shooting.........what ammo still around is collecting Social Security

Golf.........clubs collecting dust

:(

Right now just guns. Divorced 3 times and saved my home out of the financial mess of the first two. Between the house (replaced furnace, fixed furnace, fixed water heater, working on well/water issues now, fixed old ride mower and ended up having to buy a new mower, all in last year) plus heart attack and medical last two years - haven't had much to spend. Also two adult daughters who I help out with. Other hobbies - motorcyle that sits needing a tune up, battery, new tire, brake job, and transmission rebuild, and amateur ham radio but haven't been able to afford radios, antennas, etc.. Also had aquariums for 20 plus years and have all the stuff to set up the 120 gallon for fresh water with live plants but don't want to do it as may be leaving Illinois is a few years. Mostly nothing is going to happen other than shooting until I can get my small debts paid off (a few thousand which should happen by fall) and get my teeth fixed which have been on hold for five years. Then we'll see, but considering buying land in Arkansas or Missouri and building a home for retirement in a few years. Illinois is moving to ban lots of guns and raising taxes on gas, property, license fees, income tax, retirement income, and more. Already gave up FFL business due to aggressive and draconian state licensing that made over half the FFL's in the state give up their businesses. But I'm breathing and mobile and have my faith so all in all it's still good. Looking forward to CAS, fixing up home shooting range with more steel, getting my home fixed, teeth fixed, motorcyle fixed, and ham radio set up. Hoping to have most done sometime by end of next year, God willing. Blessed to have both of my kids with me for now, and my annoying dog.

My expensive hobbies include CAS, of course, other guns, motorcycling, 027 electric model trains, travel, custom fabrication on antique and high performance cars and trucks, and performing and touring in a rock/blues band. I also have two grandsons!!

How the HELL I ever found time to hold down a job, coach youth baseball and basketball, and run a successful amateur and professional drag racing team is STILL a mystery to me!!

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I am a tent camper. Pure camping. Love it. I don't begrudge the RVer, but I've found no better sleep than in a tent pitched next to a stream in the Rockies.

If a man has hobbies and enjoys them, he is a lucky man.

I didn’t get the chance earlier, but I’m right there with you regarding tent camping. I believe RVs have their place, but camping is in a tent or under the sky 

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Paintball is highly addictive. I did it for a few year back in the beginning stages. We started with Splatmaster marking pistols and grew with the sport. It was amazing good fun! I miss those games. No time now and like you said, we all moved on. Generally into real jobs and families. ;)

I am a tent camper. Pure camping. Love it. I don't begrudge the RVer, but I've found no better sleep than in a tent pitched next to a stream in the Rockies.

If a man has hobbies and enjoys them, he is a lucky man.

I might add camping ️ in the Canadian bush 45 air miles from the nearest artificial light with a million stars reflecting off the lake. The northern lights were always an added bonus 

25 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

5 Kids (not really a hobby, but expensive)

ok, we KNOW what your hobby is, and yes...it do get expensive....maybe you should take up quilting instead....that's my expensive hobby besides SASS, but it's a LOT cheaper than yours!!

Probably collecting old militaria (including firearms)

Shooting isn’t really that expensive for me anymore.

635EAE58-4500-46A6-A30B-76BABBFF5B68.jpeg

2588552A-1FC6-4086-976B-85524167BC3D.jpeg

6B42C22C-D81C-46D1-BD8F-75C7A660CB49.jpeg

BFFB2593-3AB1-45A8-B3EB-15A2EABFD783.jpeg

669FAB07-2BA3-48E9-876A-171F71A2A823.jpeg

Well, I'm into sewing/embroidery.  I haven't finished a quilt yet but that's on my list.  Right now I'm creating patterns and prototypes for things like a concealed carry purse that doesn't look like one.  I also make accessories to better help you when you travel like a carrier you can put a hot curling/straightening iron into and throw in your suitcase, a matching bag to carry all your medicine vials to be TSA compliant etc.  My big machine was $15K.  I just bought a smaller back up machine that sews only for $3K, and we won't even talk about all the fabric, patterns, notions etc. scattered about the sewing room.  I have several lifetimes worth of fabric.  All I need is time.........

Kris, are you SURE we aren't twins?  well, except for the $15K machine part....none of mine are even close to that, but I do have the several lifetimes worth of fabric but not enough time thing.....;)

I don't have a pic on my phone of the quilt Calico made for Kaya dang it. It is absolutely beautiful and fits Kaya's personality to a Tee! Eternally grateful!

I don't shoot much anymore but I can't stop buying a gun or two...or three every six to ten months and just dropped almost $700.00 on new holsters and a gun belt.  They should get here in another week or so.

I am also building an 1950s - 1960s era Marx electric train like I never could get done before.  Hell, I'll never get it done this time.   Between money, time, and life expectancy iIcan't possibly finish it.  It will take up most of a 32 x 62 foot room in my workshop.

I collect pocket watches and walking sticks, and I am remodeling most of my house.

And then there's the thing about landscaping a half acre of mostly weeds.

Sold or gave away over 500 books in the last four years.  I hope they are appreciated and loved.

AND I've got my little dog, who doesn't cost much and keeps me warm in body and soul.

6 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I don't have a pic on my phone of the quilt Calico made for Kaya dang it. It is absolutely beautiful and fits Kaya's personality to a Tee! Eternally grateful!

And I'm eternally proud of my niece for becoming such a wonderful young woman!:wub:  

12 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

6 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

And I'm eternally proud of my niece for becoming such a wonderful young woman!:wub:  

Michigan Slim:

Hope this helps.....;)

On July 30, 2019 at 10:43 AM, Kid Rich said:

We do CAS.

$100,000 for truck and RV+

3-4 trips a year with an average cost of$3,000 per trip for shoots

Shooting nearly every weekend when we are home

We put 50,00 miles on the truck in a little over a year, most of it pulling the RV

I guess we only have one expensive hobby

I'm not counting the ammo, money spent eating, raffle tickets to support clubs we shoot at, camping fees or any donations made to clubs for raffles.

I think I don't want to know how much I really spend on CAS.

kR

Kid Rich

Are you bragging or complaining?

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Michigan Slim:

Hope this helps.....;)

That's the one! Now I got all blurry again reading all that. BTW, the job she said she applied for was with the State Dept. of Transportation. She got in as a seasonal employee, hired full time two weeks later and promoted two weeks ago. Things are going her way. Hard working kid.

The best part is that she can now pay for her own expensive hobbies!!!!

Guns and shooting, but we also like to go RVing.  We have a 35 ft Class A motor home that eats a lot of money, both to operate and keep on the road.  We have grand kids we like to indulge.  My wife Desert Willow no longer shoots.  She is an artist, which is more expensive than you might think, but she actually makes a profit!  I also like good food and drink. :)

20 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

That's the one! Now I got all blurry again reading all that...

My son is my son until he takes a wife.

My daughter is my daughter for all of my life.

I can't just have the ordinary so it seems  every firearm is a hobby to itself requiring more expensive gizmos , dies, and molds to make them run.  It adds up!  I didn't mention, fishing, golf, metal detecting, woodworking, vintage gun books, coins, pocketwatches, pocketknives, marbles,  or muzzleloaders.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:29 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Only 9? :D

10 if you count the one I lost... 

To elaborate, my dad and I picked up a 78 Suzuki gs1000 with no title for $150. We took it to his house, got it running and neither of us remember where it went after that... 

48 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I used to drink beer and chase women.

Then I decided to chase only drinking women.

It eliminated a step.:D

I spent most of my money on chasing women and partying...

The rest I wasted...

Archived