SASS Wire Forum

What Motivated You To Pick The Category You Shoot?

Bart Solo

In my case I just decided to shoot my age category because I didn't know any better. What influenced you to shoot in your chosen category and do you change categories like you change socks? How does somebody decide to shoot frontier cartridge duelist anyway?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried out Gunfighter Josey Wales as a joke at a Charity Shoot. I was surprised at how natural it felt for me. I shot a real match the next week and I wasn't too bad at it. So I stuck with it, been shooting Gunfighter for two years now! LOVE IT! Even was accepted as a Jedi Gunfighter earlier this year..and it's the only category I shoot now.

I do shoot FCD and have for 10 years or so. What got me to shoot that category? Well when I first started shooting, I shot (and still do) with Ruff Cobb, World Champion Duelist. I am pretty ambidexterous (sp?) and thought I can do that, so I asked for a few pointers and started shooting double duelist. I got the urge to shoot BP about the same time, so there you have it!

I also now shoot FC Gunfighter too. I really like it too, lots of fun!!!

I wish my brain would allow my hands to shoot gunfighter, but it just won't, i need both hands on the pistol. I was lucky enough to be on the same posse as Rock Rotten and Possum Skinner at DOFP last weekend and man was it fun watching them shoot.

It's too hot down here for some of the other catagories with costume requirements, so age catagory it is for me.

When I started, back in 2002, Traditional seemed like the logical category for me. Two hands on the revolver was a familiar method and seemed like the safest way to hold the gun while I learned about everything else involved in Cowboy Shooting. A few years later, when I turned 49 and having never shot an age based category, I switched to Frontier Cartridge, still shooting two handed. I had always wanted to shoot Gunfighter so after a couple of years, I switched to Frontier Cartridge Duelist shooting Double Duelist in an effort the educate my stupid hand. Two years of FC Double Duelist and made the transition to FCGF. Been shooting FCGF for the last 5 years or so and I cannot imagine ever changing categories again!

Dogmeat Dad

I've always shot one handed so I've been a duelist of some kind ever since I started in 1996! Duelist, Classic Cowboy, FCD, now Senior Duelist. I've tried shooting two handed but it just doesn't do it for me! As long as I can cock the hammers one handed I will.

Rye, a dedicated duelist ;)

I was told by a shooter, that I have much respect for, "If you're going to wear all that crap, you might as well shoot Classic Cowboy." :lol:

I'd been wrestling with the idea and that was the final push. I switched and haven't looked back.

Dutch

My first match was the Florida annual. What a disaster, only 1 clean stage had more than 20 unfired rounds from firearms purchased a week earlier.

My next match was the next Florida annual, and on a posse with Buffalo Brady. What a hoot he had with Black Powder and I decided that was my game for the future. Bought Rugers, SKB and 1873 to fix the reliability problems.

My categories are FCD and Frontiersman, and I thank Buffalo Brady for the inspiration.

Amarillo Rattler

Shot duelist when I first started for 6 months, thats how I thought cowboys should be shooting along with the .45's with the 250gr. bullet and 8 grains of powder that I was using at the time. Could literally not hit the broad side of a barn, switched to 2 handed found that I could still not hit the barn only I could do it faster. Been shooting that way ever since. I dabble in gunfighter and duelist but I am a 2 handed shooter at heart. Unless I want to dress like Elton John (B Western) or shoot BP (nasty stuff) then I have to shoot Cowboy with all the 17 year olds. At 34 I believe I was the oldest in the top Ten cowboys at EOT this year LOL.

Two hands two guns. For me it just made sense. Other than when injury prevented it I've always shot gunfighter. I even my first match i was allowed to switch to gunfighter half way through

Shot duelist when I first started for 6 months, thats how I thought cowboys should be shooting along with the .45's with the 250gr. bullet and 8 grains of powder that I was using at the time. Could literally not hit the broad side of a barn, switched to 2 handed found that I could still not hit the barn only I could do it faster. Been shooting that way ever since. I dabble in gunfighter and duelist but I am a 2 handed shooter at heart. Unless I want to dress like Elton John (B Western) or shoot BP (nasty stuff) then I have to shoot Cowboy with all the 17 year olds. At 34 I believe I was the oldest in the top Ten cowboys at EOT this year LOL.

He's telling the truth there.lol, but he was sure fast!!! Glad he left that one handed catagory to old guys like me.

I swapped a reproduction Sharps for a pair of Ruger Old Armies. Love at first shot!

Ten years later I declined the offer to swap back...😎

I was shooting "Traditional" with 41 mag Blackhawks. I was standing at the unloading table with my back to the stage when a gowdawful explosion happened behind me. I turned to see a huge cloud of smoke with a Remington sticking out of it.

Hooked!! Frontiersman!!

30 days later I had a pair of Remingtons then found out they are not made for my hands.

Went to Colts, 1860s and 1861s

I have not fired a round of smokeless in competition for over 8 years.

I've tried gunfighter but my left hand simply does not want to play that way.

when I joined this game I wanted to be a gunfighter. My local club said you have to shoot double duelist for a year before you can shoot gunfighter. Well 9 months into it they finally gave in. Been a gunfighter ever since.

Why do I love Gunfighter?

Because there is nothing like two 7 1/2" 45's going off in harmony, in YOUR HANDS!!!!

Scratch

What motivated me to shoot Gunfighter? A couple of stiff Margaritas as I recall. Plus mentors like a Deadly Sharpshooter, Shifty Eye, and others.

I shoot classic cowboy. I already had an external hammer shotgun (Favorite Cowboy shotgun) and a 45C Henry1860 rifle Favorite 1800 era rifle. Then again I always wanted to be a cowboy growing up, and Classic Cowboy has Cowboy in it's category name.

S. Floyd.

Years ago shot the Modern Category, Then became a Senior some years later and now into Cattle Baron/ Range Boss.

I went right to gunfigher. Which was natural since I shoot skeet with a encore and a contender.410s. Made it through my first year with smokeless. Then went to FCGF for second year. I can't see going back to smokeless. Thanks to Willie Harp and Chantry for help in converting me to the dark side.

Gunfighter cuz it wuz tha coolest...B Western so I cud haz a excuse ta make more clothes.....and Josey Wales when I gits tha chance cuz it's so much fun....

Has anyone else noticed the most proud about their category

Are Gunfighters

Hmmmm……..makes you think, there must be something about

Being a Gunfighter

Gunfighters Rule

Scratch

When I started I was just trying to shoot without dropping my gun.I shoot with Possum Skinner,Texas Gator and Crosscut Hardy ,they are all gunfighters and were have so much fun that I had to try it and I love it.

I'll add my name to the gunfighter ranks. I shot my first match squaw grip and kept getting told to cock the hammer with my left hand. Couldn't seem to do it right. Even slip hammered it out of alignment (back when I shot rugers) and had tj gk around the horn. I shot gun fighter the second match and every match since. Now I mostly shoot gunfighter with BP in my pistols and rifles. I'm not loading shot shells yet and no hurry since no one recognizes FCGF around here. Heck, I'm usually the only gunfighter on my posse as it is, and often the only one or two Gunfighters at a match. I would shoot classic cowboy if I could shoot it gunfighter.

Archived