SASS Wire Forum

What Motivated You To Pick The Category You Shoot?

Bart Solo

Gunfighter = most fun fighter.

I'm ambidextrous, and I've always made it a point to practice shooting all my weapons with both hands. When I first started CAS, I was unclear on the rules and I think I shot 3 stages 2 handed (even then I shot left and right handed), and the other 3 double duelist in that first match. One handed felt right. I wanted to try gunfighter from the beginning because I wanted a category where my ambidextrousness would give me an edge (which I laugh at today), but my local club was unclear on the rules and told me that if I chose the category, I could not go back to DD if I didn't like having both guns out at the same time during the stress of a match. Once we cleared that up, I tried it and never looked back.

If (when) I start reloading, I will probably start shooting BP because it looks cool. I plan to find a way to flavor my loads with bacon grease so it'll smell better than everyone elses.

Once you get your bacon flavored loads worked up you can then shoot FCD.....Fry Cook Duelist :lol: :lol:

Kajun

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried 2 handed when I started but never felt right. Went to the Bar 3 for a weekend shoot and saw Tbone and Nuttin Graceful shoot 1 handed and never looked back. I shot duelist classic cowboy and now FCD. May dabble in gunfighter at some point.

DC

Heee Haaaa..Well I started out FCD usually full cases of FFgGoex.. :wub: Back in 05.. :unsure: I was pretty good,and was haveing alot of fun, ;) Then my hands began began to get old and degenerative arthritis set in.. :o After both hands had been operated on and I was pain free,I shot duelist with lighter loads. ^_^ BUT it became a struggle,my times were increaseing,I had two AD's in one match. :blush: The FUN was Gone :( I took the advice of my GOOD Friend "Doots"and shoot Sqaw-Gripper.. :D

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::FlagAm:

This topic leads to a question I was going to post so... It takes a back story to get there but here goes... Even though my number is an earlier one, hubby and I joined SASS years ago but life got in the way and we never got started. I am a new shooter. Never really liked guns much, only knew how to shot a shotgun for 'protection' and certainly didn't ever want to practice. Well about a year and four months ago hubby and I went out to our local range and met the folks. They were all amazing and I had more guns placed in front of me to try then I could count!! Scared to death, and having no idea what 'kind' they were, but I tried some. One guy at shoot was shooting guns that were louder and more smokey then the others. Eventually I got brave enough, and he was kind enough to keep telling me I could do it, ;) to try and shoot one. He loaded it for me and boom I was HOOKED!!!!!! I began learning all I could about "the Dark Side" and Black powder... I did try some starter guns that were cartridge. But I would always ask our now 'mentor' if he would load his for me to shoot. ;) told ya HOOKED!!

He also had to literally teach me to shoot, and everything about guns in general. He tried teaching me to hold my guns with two hands... Well it was a struggle. I finally just pulled out a pistol with my left hand and said "can't I just shoot this gun with this hand the the other gun with my right hand????" It just felt natural to me.

I have been shooting my 1862 Army Police for a year now and as I said HOOKED!!!!!! I shoot my left pistol with my left hand and my right pistol with my right hand. I am not fast, I am faster then when I started, and I have a lot of work to do to get faster. But I have FUN and I LOVE BLACK POWDER!!!! And I love cap and ball!!! I will never shoot smokeless!!

And., if ya are still reading this here is my question. I have always signed up as Lady FCD. Now,I have never gone to a match other then my close local clubs and there has been no other ladies that shoot cap and ball. There has to be others out there in SASS

Land???? What category do they sign up as???? Frontiersmen? Lady Frontier-Person? Stick with FCD even though I shoot cap and ball?? I mean, it's not really that important I guess.. With our local matches I would be the only one no matter which one I choose. But.... If I ever get good enough, and brave enough to try a bigger match, what do I sign up under? And what happens when you are the only one? Gee, with all these questions maybe I should start another thread.... :/

Oh I found another thread! It's from dec 2014 but a gentleman by the name of Rev Lyin Kerrdawg asked the same question!! So maybe I will message him. And a couple of other names were mentioned to ask, Kow Katcher and Bent Barrel Betty. ;)

My wife and I went to watch our first match back in 2014 to see what this is all about. I saw a couple gunfighters and knew that was the category I wanted to shoot. I shot double duelist that season to learn the game and to increase my accuracy with my left pistol.

I spent the winter dry firing gunfighter and practicing with the left hand at our indoor range. This season, I made the switch to gunfighter and am enjoying every moment of it!

When I started at CAS I was about 25 and shot for about a year with Old Model Vaqueros (yuck) That was about 13 years ago and they only had a few classes so I shot two handed. I think I remember them coming out with Classic Cowboy right around the time I was moving on to other things.

Fast forward to winter 2014/15 when I got the itch again and I says to myself I'm going to do it right this time around. So I bought 44-40s and an outfit that works for Classic Cowboy and it was off to the races. The only thing I might improve next season is to shoot the FFg Goex and pretend that Frontier Cartridge Classic Cowboy is a category. ;)

DD

I had been shooting USPSA for 20 years when I was coerced into watching a cowboy match. Once there, I was handed guns, ammo and leather and encouraged to shoot the match. I was used to having two hands on the gun, so shot Traditional. By the next match I had all of my own equipment. By the third match I was shooting duelist. Four months later I had switched to Gunfighter. Over the last ten years, I have shot Jose Wales, Cody Dixon, black powder cartridge and shot Outlaw for about two years. Arthritis has affected my left thumb and I am back to Senior Duelist. I was never fast in any of the categories but always had fun.

I was reclassified at work to "Relief Operator" which means I work the shifts the other fellows were able to take off.

Guess which day of the week they most commonly need filled.

(Hint: it coincides with our monthly matches!)

Consequently it's been too long since I shot but I finally made it.

I asked if they have a Decrepit Old Geezer category and they said you're old enough to shoot senior, so I said put me there.

After the first stage, Rye Miles said "You're shootin' Senior Duelist!" so I reckon that's what I am.

They never did say whether there's a Decrepit Old Geezer category.

I started out two-handed, shooting smokeless and sharing the whole set of guns with my son. As time went by I managed to scrape up another set of guns, and decided to start shooting Frontier Cartridge. Went from there to Classic Cowboy just 'cause CC is cool. Came a time when I either had to buy a whole bunch of smokey powder or use the smokeless I had, and money issues dictated smokeless, but I'm still shooting CC. As Brother King said in a recent thread, "All the other categories are redundant". :D

I am SHOCKED! SHOCKED! I tell you... can't even believe what I am reading here. You mean to tell me that there are other categories besides the one true original, makes-the-others-redundant CLASSIC COWBOY!??!!

Dang, learn something new every day. ;) Me and Chili Pepper Kid are fixin' to write a book, 'ZEN, and the art of Classic Cowboy"

Frontiersman since 2003....

Cuz It's fun, I got my guns to shoot reliably, and mostly 'cuz nobody else around here does it....

I shoot frontier cartridge, since I have been shooting black powder since 1979 as a buckskinner and shooting the Quigley matches since 1998. Unfortunately I am very wobbly shooting one handed so I shoot two handed.

Shot duelist when I first started for 6 months, thats how I thought cowboys should be shooting along with the .45's with the 250gr. bullet and 8 grains of powder that I was using at the time. Could literally not hit the broad side of a barn, switched to 2 handed found that I could still not hit the barn only I could do it faster. Been shooting that way ever since. I dabble in gunfighter and duelist but I am a 2 handed shooter at heart. Unless I want to dress like Elton John (B Western) or shoot BP (nasty stuff) then I have to shoot Cowboy with all the 17 year olds. At 34 I believe I was the oldest in the top Ten cowboys at EOT this year LOL.

Now there is an image. Duece shooting Elton john {b western} all dressed up and on his safety glasses has those little light thingies :blink: . Expect to see that modeled for us at winter range. After all it is the silver jubilee. LOL. :D:D

Started out 2handed in 49er...went to the darkside frontier cartridge... Switched to double cocking gunfigher... But that did not feel right... Finnaly learned to alternate pretty good... Now going to try Fcgf soon....

When I first started I was intrigued by the size of the .45 cal. bullet as compared to the .38, and I really liked the external hammers on the shotgun. Every cowboy movie I ever saw the cowboys shot with one hand (well, almost--sometimes it was a gun in each hand). And I always thought if you are going to play cowboy, might as look the part, so Classic Cowboy is where I started and what I have been shooting ever since.

I love watching gunfighters, and I am tempted on occasion, but my left hand is stupid and I can't stand to miss. I am also tempted by the cap and ball guys, but I think that is when my days of being competitive in CC are over, and that hasn't come yet. Might never come if we ever get a Senior Classic Cowboy category, but that is another topic.

i walked into this as a new club was forming and got my input by osmosis mostly , thankfully i had a good family of friends that helped along the way l, but i started shooting my age group because i was just not really aware of all of the options ,

i adopted a subdued B-western look because its available without much real searching , once i realized the extent that would require i turned away from going that direction , i did not and do not shoot well enough to seek out the speed categories , so...........

ive settled into my age category as the right place to be , im comfortable just admitting my age these days - nice part is there is still older shooters than me ,

I like to shoot Pale Rider, no girly loads, a big boom and lots of fun. If its not offered, I shoot Classic Cowboy.

Archived