SASS Wire Forum

What Motivated You To Pick The Category You Shoot?

Bart Solo

First year of shooting 2005 traditional...At the 2005 Iowa State SASS championship I seen this cowboy...chaps...spurs...bandana... it was Lefty Henderson shooting Classic Cowboy. Knew then that's what I wanted to shoot. Took me a couple years to get the gear and been shooting it ever since. Have a monthly shoot tomorrow and after 7 yrs I still get excited about putting on all the gear and shooting those big .45's and hammered shotgun. The match tomorrow is at the Zen Shootists which to us stands for Zero Effort Needed. Classic Cowboy is that to me it just flows from my spirit....ZEN.

Chili Pepper Kid

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started as a Gun Fighter, hopefully someday I'll be good at it ( I want to be a Jedi)! I have never shoot anything else. Was

thinking trying FCDD but I'm not sure that a real category.

Rippen

I started out in 2011 shooting Cowboy Category... Shot it a few years then switched to FRONTIER Cartridge. I loved shooting black Powder, but this past year I switched to Classic Cowboy. And it has been a perfect fit for me, and I plan on shooting it for a very long Time!

Started Traditional category and then changed to 49er and then duelist and now gunfighter working towards FC Gunfighter. GF and FCF just seem like a lot more fun and in a lot of cases a little more thinking has to be applied when shooting gunfighter.

Started as Traditional, cause that was the kind of handgun I had... then bought a '51 Navy, shot BP as it was called back then, think Frontiersman, except two-handed. Then they did away with it, changed to Frontier Cartridge. Then they started Frontiersman. But, I shoot my age category when I don't feel like cleanin' my BP guns... Have shot in Classic Cowboy... but it's often too hot here for ME to do that and I don't like Duelist or Gunfighter, so mostly shoot Frontiersman.

Mainly, I shoot for a time on each stage, shootin' their 'eyes-out' for accuracy rather than speed. Yes, I'll be slowest, but satisfied if I can still spot my shots where no one else does!

Shot 49er when I started. Then my Local Club (Texas Ten Horns) came up with a category called Renegade. Shoot two stages two handed, two stages gunfighter, and two stages duellist. Was gently prodded into trying it and had a blast. Discovered that I like Duellist and Gunfighter.

Yusta B introduced me to Frontier Cartridge. Nothing like the challenge of hitting targets obscured by smoke.

Texas Ten Horns also shoot Cody Dixon at the Saturday matches. Chewing the fat before a match and commented that I would like to try it but lacked the proper rifle. Great cowboy by the name of Tommy Reb turned me onto a good deal on a 1874 Sharps in 45-70. Later I lucked into a great deal on an 1895 Marlin. Alternate between them depending on how I feel and what the other C/D shooters are shooting.

So at any given match I may shoot Duellist, FC, FCD, Cody Dixon, or Renegade. When I can find the time to practice I want to transition to gunfighter and FCGF.

I had pretty much always been dressing the part but was still using a Marlin so my category was Wrangler. As soon as I got my first '73 I switched to classic cowboy and have not looked back. I throw in some black powder now and then and call everything hunky dory.

In my case I would say friends asked me to join them in classic cowboy I have had the equipment for almost any category through the years except modern as I've never owned ant Blackhawks. I had a bascadaro drop loop rig before it was stollen in 2009 when I totaled my Rv and a Marlin I sold for money to repair my Rv in 2012. But I still had a thunderbolt that would work but I doubt that I'll try it I kinda shy away from the clothes required not my style. But since 2005 when I joined I started off with traditional then quickly switched to gunfighter and shot that many years the the dark side called when I won a secon cap and ball revolver at winter range one year. I took the one I had and the one I won and shot until I could aquire a pair of Ruger old armies. That made shooting c&b shooting so much more fun for me then one EOT around 2011 Texas ghost and brother king asked me to join them in the classic cowboy cat. Been shooting it since I was able to aquire a TTN SxS that fall then about a year ago I switched to a 87 from Lassiter that I bought cheap and the gun almost runs it self. Nudge this way a pull that and the action does the rest. I've been buying the options for the seven required items I probably have one of each three I refrain from spur, cuffs and gloves. But the rest I try to mix up and wear during a shoot so that it's not the same look each day.

ALL MY HERO'S ARE COWBOYS ON THE SILVER SCREEN AND I COULDN'T FIND A ONE OF THEM THAT WAS A 2 HANDED SHOOTER, 95% WERE DUELIST OR ONE HANDED

STYLED HOMBRE'S. DUELIST'S IS THE ONLY WAY. ONLY ONES ON THE SILVER SCREEN WHO HAD TO SHOOT WITH TWO HANDS WERE THE WOMEN FOLK

HYMAN

I was trained on a douple action revolver. Start squeezing the trigger as you sight in the target. Found out early in this game that training was bad for a single action. To break the habit I went two handed.

Son moved on to college, marriage, seminary, so I moved on the age based classes. 49er and then graduated to Senior.

Tried it all when I started. Ended up with GUNFIGHTER....shoulders started giving me trouble, started shooting Duelist.....as long as I'm shooting, it doesn't matter the category, but if I had my druthers, it would be GF.

KK

Before I shot CAS the wife and I went to the North East Reg. and just watched, saw Lassiter shooting and ask a friend that was a cowboy shooter what that guy was doing he said that's called GF it's one of the category's that can be shot in this game!!!

Started that way and have shot it since, may have to change in the future because of an injury to my right thumb and old arthritis setting in but for now and as long as that thumb can cock the hammer it's GF, I love the challenge offered by the style, may try Classic Cowboy in the future but for now it's GFer.

Spades H.

I change categories like I change socks. I've shot everything I'm eligible to shoot, but tend to favor FCD (double duelist style), FCGF, and Frontiersman. In four more months, I can also start shooting senior. B Western is a hoot, but I'm terribly duck-footed and spurs are problematic.

I started out shooting .45's with store-bought smokeless. Got too expensive so I bought a press, BP, brass and boolits and started reloading .45 & 44-40 and haven't looked back. Ever since my second match I've shot single handed. Don't know why - always a two handed shooter before - but it just felt more natural.

I'm never gonna be a fast shooter, but I'll always dress to the nines. So I picked me up some 45 pistols, a '73 in 44/40 and a hammered shotgun, started shooting one handed and never looked back!

and she looks good doing it too!!!! :wub::o:o;):D

I shoot GF because it is the coolest, even if it is the most difficult way to shoot yur pistols!! When I shot BW I still shot GF!!

Gunfighter = most fun fighter.

I'm ambidextrous, and I've always made it a point to practice shooting all my weapons with both hands. When I first started CAS, I was unclear on the rules and I think I shot 3 stages 2 handed (even then I shot left and right handed), and the other 3 double duelist in that first match. One handed felt right. I wanted to try gunfighter from the beginning because I wanted a category where my ambidextrousness would give me an edge (which I laugh at today), but my local club was unclear on the rules and told me that if I chose the category, I could not go back to DD if I didn't like having both guns out at the same time during the stress of a match. Once we cleared that up, I tried it and never looked back.

If (when) I start reloading, I will probably start shooting BP because it looks cool. I plan to find a way to flavor my loads with bacon grease so it'll smell better than everyone elses.

Howdy,

In July 2002 I visited the Smoky Mountain Shootist Society and noticed a cowboy, El Carrera, shooting Gunfighter. I knew right away that I had to shoot gunfighter. At that point in time you were required to start shooting Double Duelist prior to Gunfighter. So, in October I began shooting Dbl, Duelist for several months and then switched to Gunfighter.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Man o Man, lots o gunfighters in this thread.....SAME HERE haha. I started traditional, and like someone else mentioned, just didn't feel right holding a single action with 2 hands. I didn't do so bad when I started with the 2 hands, but I did only 1 match that way, switched to duelist. At that point I was using a cross draw holster on the left so it made sense. Got a new strong side holster pair, switched to double duelist. Shot that till the end of my first year. I'm in my first year shooting gunfighter and I couldn't be happier. Once I realized that I could actually cock the hammer with my left thumb and not break any safety rules, it became muscle memory and the rest is history! Now....time to start loading the cartridges with BP to really make a mess. Then we will see about the cap and ball. But I absolutely love gunfighter. It just feels right!

well I like the smoke and boom so fc for me.....and I like to go fast so yeah 2 handed for me....dable with gf from time to time....its all good

Started shooting Elder Statesman, then graduated to Cattle Baron. Now I shoot Grand Patron. All of this two handed of course. Really having a ball just shooting, and really don't care how Gene and Roy did it. At my age it's just fantastic to be able to enjoy our game at the level I do.

RBK

Started squaw grip smokeless in Wrangler to go fast.....found that I'm not willing or able to put in the time and effort to become as fast as I would like so I decided to go after the coolest guns available for fun.....so it's Frontiersman double duelist and someday FCGF with the cool cap & ball revolvers. I love the various types & styles of revolvers that are available in C&B style. Most of all, I love the fire, smoke and boom only produced properly with charcoal powders.

I was missing too much when I was shooting 49er. Watching "The Shootist" one night I realized John Wayne never grabbed one pistol with two hands and aimed. So I did like Josey Wales suggested & pulled both pistols while whistling "dixie". I am an OUTLAW shooter and as long as my hands can hold them guns that's the way I'll shoot. Duelist may be coolest but OUTLAWs are aimless!

Archived