SASS Wire Forum

Did you pay back your student loans.

Pat Riot

I see Father Christmas of the Toppling Christmas Tree just forgave 813,000 Federal Student Loans. This could cost taxpayers more than $400 Billion per the Congressional Budget Office.  

I am all for people getting and education and I am all for giving people loans with reasonable interest rates, but this sends another message of “See, we don’t have to abide by contracts. We just whine and cry long enough and the government will step in and take care of it…Sure, I am going to vote for that party.”

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.  Paid them off before our eldest child graduated from high school.  The interest rate on my loan was 3% so we kinda stretched it out a bit.

;)

I got a factory job right out of high school. They paid all my schooling costs.

My son learned a trade. I paid what wasn't covered out of pocket.

My daughter is going to Purdue for an engineering degree, compliments of her employer! 

Screw student loans. 

Nope, couldn't afford college. Had no idea at the time that I could just whine and govt. would pay it off. I'm so damn sick of paying for everyone else's education. Can barely afford my property taxes due to education taxes I pay to teach children that they can and should change their gender.:angry:

Yes. Also,  my wife. And, both of our children have too. It's not that hard if you're unafraid of work.

When I went my tuition cost a whopping $545 the first semester. What loans? Lol

No loans and I chose a second tier state level university and lived at home.  My Grandmother invested my Grandfather's life insurance money wisely and that is what paid for me tuition.  IIRC tuition, fees and books were about $1000 per semester and I paid for the books.

Just looked, a bit over 30 years later tuition & fees is $6190 per semester.

Using my handy, dandy inflation calculator, that $1000 as of 1990 would be $2354 in 2023 dollars.

Too many professors getting paid stupid money to teach and probably too many other paid employees that don't teach.  Also too many unnecessary required courses that have nothing to do with the major a student selects.

I did not go to college. I waited a year after high school graduation and joined the Navy. I graduated at 17. 
I got all the technical training I needed to keep me employed from 22 to 62 when I retired. I never went to college. 

But I do pay my taxes so d’bag political people can misuse my hard earned dollars on BS social programs like above. :angry:

Paid mine as I went...

Look at this for what it is. 

1) Buying votes with the taxpayers $.

2) Subsidy to liberal academia

The whole thing reeks.  You signed the loan, you owe it.  Oh you didn't understand?  See there is the problem, you were not college material to start with.  See these stupid kids are pushed into college, the college helps them get the loan, college gets its $$$$.  Kids figure out that after 4 years they owe $100k or more.  Maybe they graduate maybe they don't.  First year is often learning that should have been covered in public school that we already paid for.  Oh and then lots of these stupid kids get a degree in something useless (unmarketable).  I thought about not be offensive and giving my opinion of degrees that are largely a waste of money.  I put 'largely' there so that those of you with that degree that have succeeded can not be offended:

Women's Studies

African American Studies

Kinesiology

Parks and Recreation

Psychology

Any other major that over 10% of D1 football players are taking

Yea, I feel bad for the kids but they signed on the dotted line.  And we know nobody will say the college took advantage of them.....

4 minutes ago, Gungadin said:

Look at this for what it is. 

1) Buying votes with the taxpayers $.

2) Subsidy to liberal academia

Absolutely 

$400 billion my ass. The money to pull this off does not exist. It has to be created out of thin air and the cost of inflation created by this gets ignored. Hell, our debts are so bad the government can’t successfully auction bonds anymore, so we print more fake dollars to buy our own debts previously purchased with previously printed fake dollars. What investor wants meager, or even negative returns, from bonds in 10,20,30 years out when it’s obvious that inflation and the rate at which the US dollar will continue to devalue is undefined and is of no concern to too many Republicans or Democrats now or in the near and distant future?

The benefactors of these grants will pay more in their lifetime through inflation, against their income, caused by this fiat money being printed out of thin air, then used to pay off these university debts, than if they self funded their education in the first place. (Yes I know, these universities have already been paid up front. I’m simplifying matters to make a point).

But most of these recipients are too ignorant to recognize that… 

30 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Never had school loans.  Worked overtime year round, doubles in the summer and paid each semester.  Talked to a girl recently who owes a $130k student loan debt.  That bought a nice acreage when I graduated. 

And she owes more than her annual pay that the degree got her.  Odds are more than twice her annual pay.  But boy did the kids have fun drinking and smoking the bong for 4 years......:o

Hell, it is rare for these kids to graduate in 4 years and they probably average over one change of major.

It took me until I was 31 to pay off mine and no I didn’t party or do drugs. I’m still broke after putting my son through college but it was worth it, 

My wife has a nephew that is in his 14th year of college with no plans to ever finish. His folks are stoopid enough to keep footing the bill for all of his expenses that he can’t get financing for. 

My wife and I attended the same private college for undergrad, and both worked year-round to pay our tuition as incurred.  No loan balances after graduation.  I went on to law school, and ended up needing a loan the last semester; the price of tuition was accelerating faster than any jobs we had.  Still, we paid them off within 2 years of graduation.

The big difference is the artificially inflated cost of college.  My freshman year tuition (1970-71) was about $1200; you could earn enough over the summer to pay that bill and still cover some living and commuting expenses.  Today, that same school charges $45,000 per year.  How does a kid earn that much while still in school?  

My High School guidance counselor suggested, based on aptitude testing, that I become a plumber; maybe I should have listened.

LL

Nope, never had any loan. Went to work in the electrical trade, guess I paid for that with blood, sweat and skin. I don't appreciate being forced to pay (in a roundabout way) for someone else's "higher" education either.

Next we'll be paying for Tommy's Denali truck and mansion cuz he didn't know he couldn't pay for them. They signed the loan, pay the damn loan and shut the $#&@ up :angry:

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Nope, never had any loan. Went to work in the electrical trade, guess I paid for that with blood, sweat and skin. I don't appreciate being forced to pay (in a roundabout way) for someone else's "higher" education either.

I went into electronics, TV & radio repair out of high school. Which led to working for Ma Bell for 27 years. 4 of the guys that worked me had psychology degrees, but got dirty at the phone company making twice what their degree would have had there been any jobs available! They did use that education to try and drive me crazy however. But hey, good on Sniffy for teaching yet more young people that you don't have to be responsible for your decisions or commitments.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I see Father Christmas of the Toppling Christmas Tree just forgave 813,000 Federal Student Loans. This could cost taxpayers more than $400 Billion per the Congressional Budget Office.  

I am all for people getting and education and I am all for giving people loans with reasonable interest rates, but this sends another message of “See, we don’t have to abide by contracts. We just whine and cry long enough and the government will step in and take care of it…Sure, I am going to vote for that party.”

I don't know where you got the idea that the loans are "contracts" like any other kind of debt.  A great deal of these loans were forgiven on the Public Service Loan Forgiveness or on the provision of the law that all student loans are forgiven after 20 or 25 years.  Those provisions were passed by Congress a long time ago, and they were always part of the "deal" struck by borrowers with the government for the loans.  The loans are not like a car loan where you are told what the payment will be and the terms up front.  Student loans are totally different in that these conditions of potential forgiveness/discharge are built in to the terms from the very beginning.  For example, all federal student loans are discharged if you become "totally and permanently disabled." 

The suggestion that these things "cost" the taxpayers anything is also misleading.  The government owns these debts and expects repayment of some of them.  But unlike a home mortgage or a car note, there exist many legal reasons why the loans may not have ever been repaid.  As such, the "cost" was the government loaning the money under those terms in the first place.  That the person exercises their right under a statute (Like PLSF, or disability, or after 25 years) to discharge the debt is part of the terms of the loan.  It's not as if it's a new cost to forgive the loan when the government agreed up front to forgive the loan if you satisfy its conditions.

I worked my way through college most of the time.  My parents would front me some that I always paid back within a month or two except for $5.000 my senior year.  I was commissioned a 2LT in the Army and paid them back in the first five months I was in.

My wife didn't get back to college until she was 55 and we paid that out of pocket.

My daughter went Carnegie Mellon on a near 100% scholarship and worked at several jobs.  We paid her living expenses and she reimbursed us in about five years. 

It's still BS in my book.:ph34r: Maybe they should pay back all the honest hard working folks that paid off their loans and just hand people like me a 100K because I didn't know it was just a hand out after 25 years . Pure BS.

Archived