SASS Wire Forum

WHO would YOU want to take lessons from?

Widder, SASS #59054

There is a thread on the Wire about your clubs efforts to help shooters improve.

I didn't want to hi-jack that thread so I thought I would just ask this question:   Who would you want to take CAS lessons from?

Personally, I would attend classes given by Deuce.   And I would attend classes given by Shamrock Sadie.

These 2 active Pards know their stuff and often give classes at big matches.  I know it would be very beneficial.

..........Widder

I would say Shamrock Sadie as well, but I'd be waaay too intimidated....nothing against her, I know she's a great GF and have heard she's an excellent teacher, which is why I'd be intimidated.....

any middle of the pack GFs out there giving classes, sign me up please!

I am beginning my Wild Bunch participation so I would look forward to learning the '97 from you.

I would like to learn how Sante Fe River Stan or Smokestack run a rifle like they do.

I have watched Cobra Cat do some amazing things with his pistols, just to fast for me to see what he is doing.

Several like Slick McClade, Deuce, and Oklahoma Dee do some awesome work with a SxS that I could use to upgrade my game.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

There are a ton a great options. Techniques aren’t hard to learn. Learning to shoot fast is also within scope for the vast majority. 

But my choice may be a little different. I’d opt for a lesson from Brian Enos.  What goes on between the ears is critical. That’s where I’d want a lesson. 

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

If my givadam wasn't broken I would study under T Bone and Nuttin Graceful.

Same here ......

2 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

I would say Shamrock Sadie as well, but I'd be waaay too intimidated....nothing against her, I know she's a great GF and have heard she's an excellent teacher, which is why I'd be intimidated.....

Mary, My wife took a class from her this year. She is super nice and the class was great. If you get the chance, do it!

I like to take classes from many teachers.  Every class I've taken has given me an insight I did not get from others.  I still remember Longhunter telling me I needed to shoot my SxS faster.  I tried and found he was right.

4 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

any middle of the pack GFs out there giving classes, sign me up please!

Now mary you know I've been trying to get you to come to gunsmoke for years... there just happens to be a gf class that goes on there. Not sure if I'm middle of the pack or not.   I never really cared where I place. I just like to have fun. 

I've learned from the best as well as those that are not a big named shooter.   

I'd answer your question a little differently and say the only one I wouldn't take a class from is someone who claims to know it all. Clearly they are delusional. 

I am not so much interested in a one time class as I would like to have folks to practice with that are also wanting to improve their skills.  When Stogie started coming out on Tuesdays to practice, we both got a lot better very quickly.

I usually practice alone and I often find that what started out as a serious effort to improve my skills morphed in to a wide open plinking spree with a lot of lead downrange but not much improving going on.  (always fun though which is important also)

Hey Smokestack!  I’d love a practice day with you. I think we’d both learn a lot, and it would be a ton of fun.

I’ve learned from so many that I couldn’t begin to list them all. There’s something you can learn from almost everyone. Learning is a life long pursuit. 

48 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Hey Smokestack!  I’d love a practice day with you. I think we’d both learn a lot, and it would be a ton of fun.

I’ve learned from so many that I couldn’t begin to list them all. There’s something you can learn from almost everyone. Learning is a life long pursuit. 

I hope we can make that happen at some point. 

Shamrock Sadie is an intense competitor no question however, she’s a good teacher. she’s my friend and I shoot GF as well...I’m frequently second place... her desire to help lady shooters is genuine. ..when she puts together Doily Gang clinics, she gets a lot of top tier ladies to help her - I would forget folks so I’m not gonna try to name them. I’m always busy vending/doing business when the clinics are going on but I get some tips from her “off the range”. 

I like to take tips tips from whomever I can - my posse mates....

Hugs!

Scarlett

13 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

If my givadam wasn't broken I would study under T Bone and Nuttin Graceful.

Amen, Brother!

When I first started in 2003, I went thru Evil Roy's shooting school. Evil Roy and Holy Terror were great and I really learned a lot as a beginning shooter.

I was fortunate to have some mentors along the way. Each of them Taught me different things. Fireball taught me fundamentals and how to be a better reloader and how to take care of my guns and gear, he also taught me how to play within the "spirit of the game". Longhunter was a really good influence and he always took the time to answer and questions or just shoot the breeze for a minute, the way he played and competed is something I've tried to mimic as much as I can. Over the years I've also been very fortunate to count a couple of really good shooters that I compete with as friends. Santa Fe River Stan has been a extremely positive influence and a great friend, he's helped me with my mental game and we bounce a lot of ideas off each other, wish we got to shoot together more often. It's really impossible to know everything, and I'm convinced that there is no one way to do things. Take chunks of knowledge when you can, modify it and make it work for you. The techniques used in this game are as varied as the targets and stages we shoot. 

WidderMaker,

I studied under Deuce Stevens awhile back thinking he could help me with pistol and rifle speed.   Was happy to get help with the shotgun. 

Think of this for a moment,

A right handed double barrel shooter helped me figured out what I was doing wrong as a left handed 97 shooter.   Deuce is a great asset to cowboy action shooting.  

4 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Pecos Clyde.  The man knows shooting.  ALL kinds of shooting.  He's also a student of the human being so he can and does tailor his teaching style to each student's needs. 

As you should know:huh:-One has to learn to 'walk', before they can 'run'...........^_^

:P

OLG

I'm with Smokestack--- I believe I'd take a class with anyone willing to do one in the Northeast.

Being new to CAS I am grateful for any information that would increase my knowledge and understanding of this sport. I have been a newbie in other interests and found it important to be able to decide which works best for me. There is a saying I heard many years ago which may apply here.

"Steal one idea from one person, plagiarism. Steal many ideas from many people, research." 

yep undoubtably there are some great teachers of cowboy out there...but i figure by watching , picking brains & personal training a person can obtain good  results,   [ well for many of us not as good as the elite or 'freak shooters' ]so many shooters out there to pick from to get what you want !

Be a champion in your own mind.....The older you get -the better you were

+1 to Smokestack: I keep an open mind when my friends give me pointers.  It is very hard to change your game on the range.  You have to remember what they told you and apply it at practice to get the muscle memory and let your mind see it work before you can be fast and furious.

I kicked myself for a long time not taking golf lessons when I used to golf a lot.  So I applied this lesson to SASS.  I took at class at Gunsmoke this year.  I recommend signing up for Deuce Stevens and Cowboy Carty’s class.  You’ll gain more speed from that class than what you would get from the newest speed gadget.

Widder I want to see you in a dress so you can get lessons from Sadie :D

of course I need lessons from you!!

Maybe you could teach me how NOT to stab my finger when I try to run my Marlin fast :blush:

all the spotters ask, did he miss, did he miss? When they hear

bang-bang-Oww-bang-bang-Oww ...........

Chicken Scratch

Archived