SASS Wire Forum

I've been watching carbs and keeping the weight down somewhat so I don't eat much bread anymore. I've been throwing away the ends. What do you do with them.?I've never liked the ends of bread unless it's from a freshly baked warm Italian bread!

Mrs. Lose takes them out to the ranch where she works and feeds the peacocks the heels of bread.

3 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Mrs. Lose takes them out to the ranch where she works and feeds the peacocks the heels of bread.

I used to throw them out in the back yard for the birds but I've heard it's not that good for them so I stopped. Maybe it's different for peacocks.

They make great open-faced sandwiches, and also great sandwiches for soggy materials such as chicken salad.

Duffield

I put PNut butter on one end.........strawberry jelly on the other end.......and mate them together for a 

nice afternoon delight.

Some will use Pnut butter & Pnut butter.

Some will use Pnut butter & Mayonnaise

etc..........

..........Widder

I save them for cheeseburger night!! Ten times better than a hamburger bun!  Usually, I’ll put two patties with lots of melted cheese and thick slices of tomato, onions and pickles on a toasted heel and slather the other heel with mayo and maybe some horseradish. The end pieces of English toasting bread or dark rye are best!!

I feel lucky if I find the heels available.  They're my first choice in any sandwich.  Love a sausage egg and cheese on toast for breakfast, on wheat bread ends.

Slather with butter, sugar, cinnamon and toast the upside in the oven set on broil with the door cracked open, and the bread set close to the heating element.  Makes great cinnamon toast in a couple of minutes.  Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.

4 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I feel lucky if I find the heels available.  They're my first choice in any sandwich.  Love a sausage egg and cheese on toast for breakfast, on wheat bread ends.

Eggs over easy!!

I don't eat them, but my wife does. I have used  them with peanut butter to get my dog to take her meds. 

Tear them into small pieces.

Place them in the oven at low temperature to dry them, then freeze them in a Zip Lock bag, to prevent molding.

Come Turkey Time, use the accumulated bread crumbs to make stuffing, with sage, onion. celery, apple etc.

Thinking about it, I guess it comes from growing up poor.

It never occurred to me to throw the heels away, or feed them to the birds, or give them to the dog.

They are bread. I eat them.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I put PNut butter on one end.........strawberry jelly on the other end.......and mate them together for a 

nice afternoon delight.

etc..........

..........Widder

Your definition of "afternoon delight" and mine differ greatly.;)

We always called the ends of bread "heels". I always throw them away as I don't like them and neither does my gal.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've been watching carbs and keeping the weight down somewhat so I don't eat much bread anymore. I've been throwing away the ends. What do you do with them.?I've never liked the ends of bread unless it's from a freshly baked warm Italian bread!

I'm like you.  They get trashed and I am also on a diet: down to 210-213 from 293.

Costing me a ton of fun money just to stay in clothes that fit.  Hell, even my boots and hats are too big now.

And damn your eyes for mentioning fresh hot Italian bread.  :angry: Guys like you are why guys like me can't stick to a diet.

I have a friend who refers to that part of the bread as the "slut" He says they call it that because everyone has touched it and no one wants to eat it...:rolleyes::D

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And damn your eyes for mentioning fresh hot Italian bread.  :angry: Guys like you are why guys like me can't stick to a diet.

How about the heels of a loaf or rye, warmed and slathered with butter?:P

No need to thank me!

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Cheese toast.

The heels of a loaf of bread are my favorite part; so, I eat them by themselves or as a part of a sandwich.  I prefer chewy bread over gummy.

On 6/8/2020 at 8:48 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

nice afternoon delight.

etc..........

..........Widder

I thought you wuz gonna put your speshul gun lube on one end and some nanner on the other end and have a compressed nanner split!

Most folks don't know this but you can bury the ends of the bread and a new loaf will grow in its place.

Widder, you just can't make this kinda stuff up. :D:lol:

Kajun

Archived