SASS Wire Forum

"May I have your daughter's hand?"

Alpo

Anybody ask that?

Anybody have that asked of them?

Always seemed dumb to me. I asked my wife to marry me. I didn't care what her father thought about it.

"Good evening sir. My name is Frank, and I really love your daughter, and would like your permission to marry her."

"NO."

"Honey, your dad said no."

"Well, shucks, Frank. Guess we can't get married, then."

Yeah, that's really gonna happen.

When my (future) son-in-law came to me, clutching my daughter's hand, joy on both their faces, and told me he loved her and wished to marry her and did he have my permission --- I just looked at him for a minute.

Then I told him, "Ten blankets, two rifles and six good ponies".

He kinda did

jon-stewart-confused-what.gif

If her dad is named Achmed..........

I did so ask.

The answer was yes.

Been just as happy as if I had good sense ever since that day.

I asked for permission not specifically "may I have her hand" . It was more of a show of respect than actually getting permission in my opinion. Had he said no, which would have been extremely unlikely as we've always gotten along well, I would have said Ok then and left, then go and ask her anyway.

My granddaughter's future hubby came to her mom and asked and then drove to our house and asked my permission. He treats her like the princess she is AND he has a license to carry in Texas.

All that makes him a man in my eyes. He got my permission and he knows I carry too...

I asked for permission to date. Funny old man knew I was coming so he was waiting for me on the porch with rifle across his lap. Three years later I told him I wanted to marry his daughter and got his blessing.

Fourty two years ago.

Nothing wrong with that.

Uno asked my dad. It showed us he respected my family enough to get their permission. I think it's an old school formality that's very classy. Dad would not have said no because ultimately the decision was up to me. The fact we had been together for 10 years didn't hurt.

As Calamity said, it's out of respect. I asked my wife's Dad that back in 1976. He wasn't going to say no, but I had that "talk" with him anyway. Although he didn't make it easy.... Everyone knew I was coming over that night to ask. When I walked in the house the first thing he said was "I hope no one askes me anything that gonna piss me off....." He was playing... Sort of. :)

I'm about to hear that fairly soon from my daughters boyfriend. Everyone's knows it except him. He thinks everyone is in the dark about it.... Thing is my daughter has always told us everything. Sometimes I've had to tell her "honey you can keep that to yourself" LOL!

But I do think I'm going to use Alpo's come back with the trade. :)

I asked my late father-in-law 50 years ago, and he said, "Yes!" My older daughter's husband asked my wife and I, and having become acquainted with him for about six-months, we said, "Yes!"

Our younger daughter was a bit older (around 25, IIRC). She had been introduced to her now husband by a co-worker at the school she taught at. The co-worker had gone to middle and high school with him, plus her husband was a cop! They dated for a couple of months, and both came in to our family room, and he said, "I asked your daughter to marry me and she said, 'Yes!'" And that was that!

If you ask her father the marriage won't last long.

We were only married 50 years and 10 months.

I'd give anything for another fifty years.

Last Thursday was 28 years ago I buried mine. I will always miss her. It's tough, it's hard.

Guess he thunked it were a joke.

I didn't git me no blankets, nor no ponies, nor no rifles neither.

I s'pect he got the better of the deal.

I did git two grandbabies, but they ain't spendable.

If you ask her father the marriage won't last long.

We were only married 50 years and 10 months.

I'd give anything for another fifty years.

Screen just got a little misty there...

I still keep you in my prayers, and while I know you will never stop missing her,

I pray your heart finds a little easing of the pain!

God bless you,

SC

I definitely asked for permission. Of course we had already gotten married. Justice of the peace. Town of Belton, Bell County Texas. My last name is Bell. The Marriage certificate has two Bells wrapped in a ribbon. I never lived that one down since my Father was a 29 year vet, and a Chaplain. Even served has the Army Chief of Chaplains when General Lindsey Passed in 1976. No Regrets, don't believe in big weddings and starting out putting someone in debt. Our honeymoon was at Stillhouse Hollow dam on Belton Lake. A kegger and a tent. Been blissfully married for 37 1/2 years.

My wife insisted I ask her dad. He was an alcoholic and a real SOB but to please her I sat down with him and told him I would like his permission to marry his daughter. He told me to go right ahead, he didn't give a s&%t but don't expect him to pay for anything and if there was going to be alcohol at the reception he wouldn't go cause his family were all Baptists and didn't drink. He was stoned when he said that (he was pretty much always stoned).

My son in law approached me and told me he and my daughter were planning to get married and they would like my blessing. I didn't hesitate a minuet. He's a great guy and 13 yeard later they are still happy as far as I can tell.

Asked my father-in-law-to-be for Schoolmarms hand. He replied, "Sure, but you gotta' take the rest of her too!!"

Funny................. she ain't laughing. :blink::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I asked Miss Lorrie to marry me about 50 times before she said yes. I wasn't about to get her father involved in my victory.

I never asked permission. It just seemed rather odd, given the personalities involved. Her parents recognized we were serious because she had graduated and had an interview and anticipated job offer with a publishing house in New York that she decided not to pursue. I shifted gears and instead of going active duty military, opted for the Army Reserve (the National Guard came later), and a planned return to college. Then I gave her my fraternity pin (which she still has in her jewelry box), something my fraternity considered pretty much as good as engaged, and something her family considered likewise. I think her mom spotted her wearing it from about thirty feet away the first time. No, i am not kidding nor exaggerating.

At any rate, after we decided, yes, we want to get married, we went to her parents' house, and she told her mom, who told her dad, who evidently asked "Well, what do I do now?" Her mom's response was something along the lines of "Go congratulate him, you idiot," He did so, from behind me, in a booming voice, scaring the hell out of me. He then proceeded to show me EVERY gun in his collection. I later said to Mrs. Doc I wasn't sure if it was a welcome or a warning. She looked at me, said "Both," and smiled. It turned out well, though. I think most of you know we were very close, and he was a mentor, father figure and friend. One of the reasons I gravitated toward Cowboy Action and away from Trap after he passed away was because I would look down the firing line and it always felt odd he wasn't there.

As for Mrs. Doc, she has been the most important part of my life for over twenty-five years, and I am thankful for her every day.

Agree that asking for leave is more a matter of showing respect than a need for permission.

My own quest was a bit more complicated; I had to learn to speak enough Latvian to ask my future father-in-law for his consent in his native tongue.

Trickier than it sounds; the word for "daughter", if slightly mispronounced, means "rotten meat"; I was very, very careful. And very successful. Forty years this Fall.

Hard to forget how nervous I was.

LL

My oldest daughter was dating a guy who I considered a real jerk because of the way he treated my daughter and others. When he came to ask me the question I told him that I didn't think it was a good idea until they had both grown up more. Well they didn't listen and got married and about 6 months later my daughter told me how miserable she was married to the guy. I told her that she was the only one that could do anything about it and she did about a year later they were divorced. She remarried about four years later and they are parents to a really fine grandson and are really doing well.

I asked my FIL if I could get his permission to marry his daughter and his reply was to question my choice as even he considered her to be damaged goods (divorced. Old time Catholics) but he said if that is what I wanted, it was Ok with him. My father was a complete ass about it. It's been 37 years now. All predictors said we wouldn't last 5 years. I think we stayed together out of spite. Successful people have a common objective or a common enemy. We had a number of detractors.

My SIL came and asked me for permission. It was kind of post proposal as my daughter was giddy showing her mother the ring, so there I stood like a bump on a pickle. I didn't feel like I could truly be happy until the boy came and talked to me because he knew I expected him to man up. He did eventually. He has grown on me but every once in a while I need to clean a gun when he is around.

Alpo, I think you did pretty well. I'd still hold out for the blankets.

Forty Rod, I think about you every time I see your posts. It is a pain I can't even imagine.

My wife and I were both in our 30s and a second marriage for each so that wasn't much of an issue.

My daughter's beau came to me a few years ago. I was quite happy to welcome him to the family.

It is definitely more about showing respect and not asking "permission".

I was 32, she was 30 when we became engaged. So no, I didn't ask her dad anything.

Been 29 years now. Best years of my life. What she sees in me I don't know, but I'm glad she does.

"She sees things in me no one else does. She sees things that aren't there".

Anyone recognize the quote? Maybe it applies to me too.

I didn't even have the opportunity. My brother in law asked my dad though. The funny thing is that during the lead up my BIL mentioned the future, which led to a lecture from my dad about how both of them needed to go back to college. He finally got them to agree to go back to school and another discussion was getting started when the BIL said "LOOK, I'm just trying to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage!" Which took my dad off guard and he said, "What? Of Course. I was wondering what was taking so long. I was beginning to think you'd already done it and didn't invite me"

Archived