SASS Wire Forum

What's your shooting preference?

D.A. Stranger

Just trying to decide on holsters and was wondering what shooters prefer: Double Strong Side or Cross draw and why?

Thanks

D.A.

Double strong side - I can shoot in more categories (if I were to choose to do so), but a requirement for me to shoot gunfighter or double-duelist.

When i shoot two handed i prefer cross draw. 99% of the time i use double strong as i usually shoot gunfighter

I switched to cross draw from strong side as I was afraid I would miss my left holster when holstering.

I like double strong side, though I will admit that I couldn't wear a cross draw even if I wanted to do so due to my famine insurance (belly)

I think that double strong side gives a shooter more options when it comes to transitions. Even when shooting two handed, the stage will dictate to me which to pull first to allow the best transitions and draw and holster options on the move.

When I started (a long time ago) there was so much complaining about cross draw and the dance. I just bought double strong side and never looked back. GW

Cross draw because it's cool!!! :)

+ 10 its fascinating watching someone who can run a cross draw. GW

I think that double strong side gives a shooter more options when it comes to transitions. Even when shooting two handed, the stage will dictate to me which to pull first to allow the best transitions and draw and holster options on the move.

I disagree on options / transitions being limited with a cross draw. I have yet to shoot a stage where I felt disadvantaged by my leather. Just my 2 cents.

I like double strong side, though I will admit that I couldn't wear a cross draw even if I wanted to do so due to my famine insurance (belly)

I disagree on options / transitions being limited with a cross draw. I have yet to shoot a stage where I felt disadvantaged by my leather. Just my 2 cents.

Haven't never shot with a cross draw, my opinion is based on observation and my experience shooting double strong side.

For the sake of the OP, I'll try to explain. Boil it down to just a stand and deliver stage, pistols first.

Double strong, draw strong first, draw weak while holstering strong, holster weak while strong hand picks up a long gun

Cross draw, pull cross draw, holster with weak hand while drawing strong, holster strong then grab long gun.

Yes, I know there are those who can holster their strong side pistol with their weak hand, but it would seem to me that you would have to be pretty lean and limber to do it, not to mention practice it a fair amount.

Another situation where I think a cross draw can be not as handy as a double strong, is when you are moving towards your weak side, you have to be extra extra careful drawing that cross draw on the move. Seen too many folks break the 170 doing that.

Of course, with practice and thought, there are ways to compensate for most anything and it comes down to what you like and what you learn how to use.

I shoot a strong side right with a cross draw... why? Because my left hand is stupid and has no idea what to do. :P

Major

What he said!

SC

I have one of each. I can shoot whatever it is I prefer on any given day. My dual strong side is by far better quality, but like others have stated, my left hand isn't the most nimble.

We have a couple of shooters that shoot cross draws and holster both guns with their weak hand. Makes my head hurt to watch them shoot 13-15 second stages. I shoot ROAs double strong side and am thrilled with a 35 second stage.

When I started (a long time ago) there was so much complaining about cross draw and the dance. I just bought double strong side and never looked back. GW

Howdy

Ask somebody to show you the rule where you have to do 'the dance'. Tell the same person to observe a straight draw shooter as closely as they do a cross draw shooter.

I have always used a cross draw holster in CAS. As already stated, my left hand is too dumb to be trusted handling a firearm. However I will add that my cross draw holster is a regular straight draw holster worn backwards on my left side. I do not much care for a cross draw holster right next to my belt buckle. Since I shoot a mismatched pair of Colts most of the time, I keep the one with the 7 1/2" barrel on the left in the cross draw holster and the one with the 4 3/4" barrel on the right. I found out a long time ago that trying to pull a 7 1/2" barrel from a strong side holster I would wind up with my elbow tangled up in my arm pit.

Just trying to decide on holsters and was wondering what shooters prefer: Double Strong Side or Cross draw and why?

Thanks

D.A.

Since I'm a huge advocate for gun control... I like TWO hands on each of mine, so a strongside and a cross-draw means I have no transitions between weak & strong hands,

I've shot both. My first rig was a double strong side. I made a cross draw rig to try out duelist. That's now my preferred rig.

All of my belts are set up with double strong side holsters (except my Cavalry rig...it's proper Cavalry style with two grip forward period flap style holsters). Been using them this way since I started shooting CAS.

Are you using your cavalry rig to shoot gunfighter? I ordered one set up this way from Mernickle a couple of months ago and will start shooting my 51's this way. But I'll do just about anything for style points

I shoot a cross draw but have been playing around lately learning to shoot double duelist with a cobbled together double straight hang.

I'm gonna kick you square in the..........................Dangit, just stay in your own category. The kid's already whipping me bad enough, I don't need you joining the party.

I ordered a double strong rig with a cross draw for Johnny Morris at my first Texas State when my belt broke and Johnny fixed it so I could shoot the match.Love the rig but have never put the cross draw holster on my rig belt because I started shooting gunfighter.

The fast cowpokes (wanted gender neutral) shoot cross draw. I am not fast so I like two strongsides, and it looks better. I have noticed some go to two strong sides close together.

Shoot with Shalako Tucker and Pinto Annie some time. They both shoot double strong side, cocking left gun with right thumb, right gun with left thumb. They're both purty fast ('course Annie's just plain purty!)

Me, I changed from crossdraw to double strongside for Classic Cowboy and started shootin' double duelist (had to do some serious trainin' on my retarted left hand) to take some of the load off of the arthritis in my right wrist.

When i shoot two handed i prefer cross draw. 99% of the time i use double strong as i usually shoot gunfighter

What the evil one says.

I'm gonna kick you square in the..........................Dangit, just stay in your own category. The kid's already whipping me bad enough, I don't need you joining the party.

I was ready to go there too. Then I remembered when I shoot duelist, I am a Senior Duelist. Soon to be Silver Senior Duelist.

Smokestack. You have my permission to make the jump. Shooting Bull needs someone to shoot against whom he has a chance of catching!

Archived