SASS Wire Forum

Sit or Stand at the Loading Bench?

Since I started loading 6 or 7 years ago, I've always stood at the loading "bench" since my presses are on a countertop in the basement. There's no option to sit at that location because there's no place for my knees if I sit.

I recently acquired a second Hornady LNL AP from a pard, but this one has a case feeder. I found it's too tall for my countertop location as the basement only has a 7' ceiling. That means building another table. I've never sat in front of a press before and it seems that long handle might be awkward to push and pull?

Just taking a poll on what y'all do.

EDIT: pic added

IMG_1061.JPG

I sit on a stool (taller than a chair) with my Dillon 550B..

I made the reloading bench like a desk, little taller, with a knee hole and drawers..

Same way with shotgun reloading..

I sit on the same stool..

My Mec is mounted on a 18"x18" portable board that sits on my table saw extension..

Rance ;)

Edit: I sit a smight to the left of the Dillon reloader for the swing of the lever..

I sit straight in front of my Mec...

I sit on a stool, to the left of the press.

My bench is two base cabinets from Home Depot with a pre-fab countertop also from HD so it's countertop height. My 650 is on a Sturdy Mount so sits above that. The height of the press is one reason I stand. The other reason is for leverage. I find using my whole body to operate the press causes a lot less fatigue than sitting and just using my arm.

Sit on a bar stool, left of the press (I'm right handed).

Loading shotgun sheels I temporarily mount the press on my bar and stand while loading. Bar is considerably taller than my loading bench.

My LNL is mounted on a Craftsman workbench. I sit on a craftsman stool to load. Works for shotgun shells through a MEC sizemaster as well. LNL is mounted to a 2x8 that is c clamped to the bench top. Do the same with the Rock Chucker, and LEE load all. MEC is just c clamped to the top.

Fingers (show Me MO smoke) McGee

Reloading%20setup_zpsoqmbucka.jpg

I prefer to stand when reloading, probably cause my bench is already at waist height. One thing I did to make it more comfortable was to put some rubber mats on the floor.

I sit all day long at work, so I find that I enjoy standing at the press. I also feel like I have better control over everything while standing. As with most things related to this game, ask me again in 20 years and my answer might change.

My LNL is mounted on a Craftsman workbench. I sit on a craftsman stool to load. Works for shotgun shells through a MEC sizemaster as well. LNL is mounted to a 2x8 that is c clamped to the bench top. Do the same with the Rock Chucker, and LEE load all. MEC is just c clamped to the top.

Fingers (show Me MO smoke) McGee

Very nice setup. That gives me some ideas.

If you are sitting then you will find this handle much more comfortable for reloading pistol ammo.

http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/hornady-lock-n-load-ap-ergo-roller-lever/products/short-roller-lever-for-hornady-lnl-ap

Since I started loading 6 or 7 years ago, I've always stood at the loading "bench" since my presses are on a countertop in the basement. There's no option to sit at that location because there's no place for my knees if I sit.

I recently acquired a second Hornady LNL AP from a pard, but this one has a case feeder. I found it's too tall for my countertop location as the basement only has a 7' ceiling. That means building another table. I've never sat in front of a press before and it seems that long handle might be awkward to push and pull?

IMG_1061.JPG

Do I sit or stand when loading, answer: yes-------actually I set up everything so I can and do both using my 650. I do use one of those cheap black Walmart bar stools that fold, one I use at shoots.

I agree with the ones who sit. When I reload, I will reload hundreds of rounds at a time and sometimes reload more than one caliber. This means I reload for hours at a time. I really don't want to stand that long if I don't have to.

Sit. My bench is built on a set of kitchen cabinets with a 2x6 running across them to form knee space. I use a couple of different height barstools depending on which 550 or MEC I'm at.

DSCN0420_zps6f65c3a7.jpg

I used to sit when I loaded on my 550 and RCBS Rock chucker. When I moved to the Square Deal B and then the 650, I chose to stand. I like it better. I even seem faster.

I can't stand for long periods of time because of back issues so I use an Irwin Sit Stand stool. You're sitting but you're actually standing and it really helps my back out. I have two of these in my shop. One in the reloading room and one at my woodworking bench. I bring them to EOT and use them up at the gate if any of you that will be there want to take a look.

Presses secured to the top of an old wooden desk. I sit in a small wooden chair slightly to the left of my Dillon 550, at about 7:30 position, facing the 1:30 position, which allows me to sweep the lever down with a push instead of a pull with my right hand. Very comfortable.

Both, I have a press on a low bench (sit) and the others on high benches (stand). Makes little difference. You do want the pivot point of the press lever below your shoulder, or else you are partially pulling down rather than using your upper body weight to press down.

Good luck, GJ

I have the same basic press and recently built some new cabinets and counter top which gave me some much needed storage space. My old bench was horrible, my arms and back would ache after a while of stooping and stretching. Here is what I came up with and I couldn't be more pleased. I sit all the time and comfortably load as long as I like since I don't have to stretch to push primers in or bend over to push the handle down. The secret to my comfort is the after market handle which made all the difference in the world. It's throw is much shorter than the standard "stick shift", ergonomically it affords long comfortable loading sessions.

Some measurements that might help put things in perspective:

29" - stool seat height

34" - bench height

43" - base of press which is mounted on a riser block

36" - center of press handle at lowest position

47" - center of press handle at highest position

Here are two photos which give you an idea of the setup, they are large so I left them on my site, just click the link to see them. One shows the handle up, the other shows the handle down.

http://www.arizonapenco.com/images/press-handle-up.jpg

http://www.arizonapenco.com/images/press-handle-dwn.jpg

Almost forgot, I built the counter top so I could sit with my knees underneath but found that when loading, the press and handle position allow me to scoot my stool back to where my legs don't go under the counter afterall.

Howdy

I too have a couple of Hornady L&L AP presses. This is the one I do all my large primer loading on. I like my benches a little bit on the tall side, they are all 36" high. My presses are mounted directly on the bench top, the linkage extends down below. This also pushes the press out a little bit from the bench, allowing a little bit of space for my knees.

primercatchedrHornadyLLAP02.jpg

I ALWAYS sit when I reload. I am too old, fat, and out of shape to stand for long periods of time. With the Hornady presses I have a cheap office chair set at it's lowest level. With the Hornady press you work the handle with your right hand and all the activity of loading brass and bullets happens on the left side with the left hand. This allows me to sit just to the left of the machine, the handle swings down past my knees. This arrangement has worked quite well for me for probably about ten years now.

reloading%20station_zpsjthhfqcb.jpg

asdfasdfasdf

I sit on a 36" stool when using my 550 but stand when using the MEC Grabber. The force needed to operate the 550 is horizontal directly out from the press, then downward. Seating the primer requires a horizontal push. Sitting on the stool puts me in a better position to pull then push the handle.

The Grabber requires downward force on the handle through the whole stroke. I can't generate enough force to operate the handle if I am sitting down. Standing lets me use the weight of my fat arse to operate the press.

Holler

I have one of the Hornady lock and load AP with a case feeder. I sit to the left of the press on a stool I cut down that allows me to work the handle comfortably and monitor the case feeder and powder cop. I also have a light shining down on the table of the press that gives me great illumination, especially when a split or cracked case drops from the case feeder that I didn't catch earlier during cleaning and inspection.

Archived