SASS Wire Forum

Which chambering

Alpo

If you were going to have one revolver - only one, no mas.

Which chambering would you want it in? 45 Colt or 44 Winchester?

These are your only choices. I do not wish to hear 357 or 22 or 44 Magnum. 45 Colt or 44 Winchester?

Single action or double action is irrelevant. Barrel length is irrelevant. 45 Colt or 44 Winchester?

.45 Colt

45 Colt

.45 Colt.

I have a few.  Also, from my late teens (1960's) I always wanted a lever action rifle or carbine thusly chambered; alas, none made.  I searched for a reasonable priced used Winchester or Marlin receiver to resurrect as a .45 Colt, but never did find one.  Vendors at gun shows wanted new rifle prices for junk actions.  I even considered converting my Marlin 336, which I bought new in '71, but just never got around to it.

And now, thanks to the popularity of Cowboy Action Shooting, they're as common as springtime buttercups along the roadside and I gots some!  ^_^

45 Long Colt

:P

18 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

.45 Colt, which also chambers .45 Cowboy Special and .45 Schofield.

.44 WCF is a rifle round and only chambers the WCF cartridge.

You might want to rethink that statement.

The top picture is a 44 Winchester cylinder. Lying next to it is a 44 Winchester cartridge and a 44 Smith & Wesson Russian cartridge.

The bottom picture is the same 44 Winchester cylinder but now it has the same 44 Winchester cartridge and 44 Smith & Wesson Russian cartridge in the cylinder.

You can shoot 44 Russian in a 44/40 revolver. Probably would not feed well in a rifle, but it works in a pistol.

44Winchestervs44Russian.thumb.jpg.33a95b6b402921bf2d659faf023b8a5d.jpg

44Russianin44WCFchamber.thumb.jpg.7180b9e8713c65262270eea24c337632.jpg

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You can shoot 44 Russian in a 44/40 revolver. Probably would not feed well in a rifle, but it works in a pistol.

I know that 44 Russian will feed in a 45 Colt Winchester 1894!

Wife grabbed the wrong ammo once and then asked me why the cartridges were so deformed when ejected!:wacko:

A friend was shooting my Super Blackhawk one time. I looked at his target. He was shooting at 25 feet, but he didn't have a group, he had a pattern. Look like he was shooting buckshot at 50 yards.

Then he ejected the brass. Aha.

"You should not shoot 357 in a 44. The bullets need to touch the barrel on the way down. That helps to keep the holes closer together."

And the 6 357 cases split from mouth to rim.

I world not Pick einher one. 

I would choose double action

20 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I world not Pick einher one. 

I would choose double action

So why does that mean you can't choose either of those cartridges?

There are many people here in the Saloon (ACS) that have double action revolvers in 45. Birdgun and Pat immediately spring to mind.

And while I don't have a DA45 Colt anymore, I do have this.

544TWT44WCF5inch.jpg.83e6478c3a396c14c174885b337d29ff.jpg

Archived