SASS Wire Forum

How would you respond?

Alpo

This is a passage in a book. But it just seems so - no, ain't happening.

But maybe that's just me

Guy's sitting in a diner. Two people come in and sit at his table. The woman says she has to go to the little girls room, gets up and leaves. The man looks at the guy for a moment and then says, "Would you mind showing me some identification?"

He's not a uniformed cop. If he's plainclothes, he didn't flash a badge. He just sits down and ask you for identification.

The guy in the book shows him his ID. And I'm sitting there thinking - well, yes I would mind. Who the hell are you, and why should I show you anything?

But then, I have tended to grow mean and crotchety as I've gotten older.

How would you respond?

I would show him my middle finger of my left hand. My right hand would be elsewhere around the hilt or the grip of something. 

And before you get all uptight by my response please refer to my first sentence.

I believe i would say, "Do you have a reason for asking, and some authority you can show me?"  If he refused to show me his ID or badge, and a reason for asking, I would say, "Let's call a cop, and see what he/she would say." I would keep my voice low and calm. If he got hickey with me, I would ask the proprietor or wait person to call the police, or I might just punch up 911 on my cell phone.

Where the heck did he get off sitting at my table in the first place. We already have an issue, so asking for my ID would get a poor response.

I would start laughing  hysterically, then tell him to f off 

My carry gun would be in hand under the table, pointed at his balls.

The subsequent conversation would be brief.

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

So, it's not just me? B)

Does chuckling, sayin, "No," and telling him to get his own (expletives deleted) table because I don't appreciate folks interrupting with my supper count?

(Metal tableware ain't to be dismissed and is most likely already in- or at least at- hand.  A face full of salad fork, for instance, could be rather discombobulating.  So could getting the back of a hand skewered by one.  Ad hoc stuff like that ought to buy me enough time to get to more purpose built things.)

in general id be offended and say no unless he wanted to explain himself , but if i were a criminal i might be a bit concerned , 

i would have been real concerned at being joined at my table by unknowns , that would raise a red flag and put me on edge to start with , not normal thing to happen , i would ask why ? 

He must identify himself but…

There are 23 stop and ID states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont and Wisconsin.

My experience is that there will be some BS excuse.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

He must identify himself but…

There are 23 stop and ID states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont and Wisconsin.

My experience is that there will be some BS excuse.

An LEO stopping me and asking for ID is one thing, some guy walking into a restaurant and helping himself to a seat at my table with his lady friend, is quite another. Get the ef out of my face.:ph34r:

Simply smile and say “Yes, I would mind”.

The ball is in his court.

I might stand up and shout, “How DARE you make sexual advances toward me!?!?”  :lol:

In this day and age, If two strangers sat down at my table, I would have my revolver out, and pointed at them, under the table, by the time they sat down..

In response to the man asking for my I.D., I would look him in the eyes, and say: "I would mind, the answer is no". 

Then the ball would be in his court. 

Context? It's a pretty narrow snapshot of one scene in a more involved story.

Was the guy sitting at the diner table with the intent of meeting someone? Was he clearly standing out among the crowd? Had he just palmed the tip from another table? Had he just driven his truck through the wall of the diner? Was he on the run from another heinous crime in a nearby town? Is he the twin brother of a psychopathic serial killer?

Context.

He is driving from DC to California for a new job. Somewhere in Illinois his car gives up the ghost. He meets a girl, also traveling west, and she offers to give him a ride. Can't take him all the way to California, but she can take him further west than he is.

At a gas stop she tells him that she is tired and asked if he would care to drive. So he drives on through the night while she crashes in the backseat. And he notices they are being followed. The headlights stay back. He speeds up, they speed up. He slows down, they slow down.

The next morning, another gas station, and she is in the Ladies Room freshening up. He goes across the street to the diner for a cup of coffee.

The couple comes into the diner, sits down at his table, and the man asks him, "would you mind showing me some identification?"

It turns out that the couple are a shrink and his nurse, the girl is Looney tunes, and possibly murdered somebody in Chicago. But our hero does not know any of that, so it's actually irrelevant. All that he knows is this man and woman walk into the diner and sit down at his table and the man asks him for identification.

The shrink is a Russian spy. Cold War novel.

The girl was in the French underground, captured and tortured by the Gestapo. She was found in a prison camp at the end of the war, and after a couple of years in a British hospital they figured out who she was and sent her back home to Chicago, where her father is kept her wrapped in cotton wool, because she has no memory of her horrible experiences.

It's called the Steel Mirror, by Donald Hamilton. Just in case it sounds interesting enough that someone might want to read it. But then, I may have dropped enough spoilers that no one would be interested.

Archived