Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Exciting news!


Misty Moonshine
 Share

Recommended Posts

Looking at that building, maybe SASS has visions of a bonafide SASS museum someday, looks like they’d have plenty of room. Regardless of where the new HQ is some folks on the Wire wouldn’t be happy. The 2-3 job loss for Edgewood, N.M. will spell economic disaster and a huge economic boon for the new place, similar to getting a Tesla or Boeing  plant (that’s a joke folks). Knowing some of the players on the SASS advisory board,  I’m pretty certain this decision was given plenty of thought and study before it was made. For those of you thinking it should have stayed out west the west for the most part is getting bluer and bluer,  pretty sure that was in the discussion too.

 

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colt Laredo said:

Why was this location chosen?

A small dying town in the middle of nowhere, an old forgotten building.

What kind of foot traffic goes through this town that would equate to new members?

Are we even trying to attract new members? 

I'd sure like to know the decision process that was taken considering we had the whole country to choose from.

 

I was wondering how long it would take.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only problem I see is that they stopped one state too soon.:P

Go Bucs!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colt Laredo said:

Jealous of what?

As a Member, they are legitimate questions.

Why? If you drive a Ford are you entitled to know why they choose specific plant locations?

 

I trust their judgment and hope it means we’ll see EOT or the NC at Paradise Pass.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Colt Laredo said:

Why was this location chosen?

A small dying town in the middle of nowhere, an old forgotten building.

What kind of foot traffic goes through this town that would equate to new members?

Are we even trying to attract new members? 

I'd sure like to know the decision process that was taken considering we had the whole country to choose from.

 

I often find myself walking thru towns looking for random organizations to join.  Most places don’t have a “walk ins welcome” sign but I just look at the building and knock on the door to see if I can join.   

 

SASS has gone thru some incredible changes the past 2 years,  Membership is on the rise and the new board could not be more well rounded and inclusive.   Misty has been more open and forthcoming with what is going on in the organization then it ever was in the past so why dont we let her do what she thinks is best and support her?

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that growth is currently slower - COVID, ammo, reloading component shortages, gas prices, etc.  But none of it has anything to do with where the SASS office is located.  However, I believe we, as in SASS members or clubs, are always trying to recruit new members.  We have this website.  We have numerous Facebook pages.  Individual clubs conduct recruitment events.  Clubs have their own FB pages and websites.  There are many ways to recruit new members and our club uses them, as do many others.  I don't feel it's up to Misty and Ruby or, for that matter, anyone on the board of directors to do the recruiting.  However, both Misty and Ruby have attended large scale events.  If you have ever worked one of these events with them you would see how hard they work at recruitment.  Unfortunately, COVID had forced the cancellation of them over the past year.....hence the relocation of EOT this year.  

Edited by Black Hills Barb
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gosh, the way some of you describe this little town makes me want to move there.

 

I'm a 'Mayberry' type citizen and any town with more than a couple red light and a few stop signs

is too big for me.

 

My guess is that this venue will supply the space and accommodations needed for the Home Office

to thrive (if needed) and yet cost less.    I wouldn't be surprised if Indiana also offered some tax

incentives.

 

But in the big scheme of things, they needed a place of operations and apparently got a good one.

 

Congratulations Misty and Ruby.

 

..........Widder

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OH WOW!!!  Right in the middle of the Old West, where Cowboys rode the range, and drove cattle, and fought Indians!!!!  

SASS screwed up when they listened to Chisler and Tex and bought the Flounders Ranch property because it had a buffalo on it.

If they wanted their own property, out of California, they should have looked at the Las Vegas area.  Cheap airfares, cheap motels, 

good restaurants, and LOTS of tourists to buy from the vendors.  Why are the Nationals Final Rodeo in Vegas every year?  For this 

reason.  Is SASS telling the members this is the only place they could move to out of New Mexico?  Or are they planning to hold 

EOT in Indiana from now on?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Have I missed something??  Did someone declare a couple of these dudes "entitled??"  I don't see anywhere in the SASS handbooks that states "members may demand answers."  Get over yourselves buttercup.

 

Atz a really neat looking building.  I'd be for leaving most of the period woodwork and furniture in place.  Use to patronize a really neat Restaurant in Old Sacramento was made up of old Bank Woodwork.  Really KOOL!!  Really neat move, by the way.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as CAS is alive and well,I really don't care where the SASS office is. I trust Misty and the Wild Bunch to make the right decisions for the continuing growth and ability to keep shooting CAS for many years to come. Thank you Misty and crew.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Colt Laredo said:

I'm not sure why it located in Edgewood either. That was before my time.

 

It just would be nice if our Headquarters was located near a major city or attraction. Someplace that has thousands of visitors come through every day.

Then it could be set up like a national park visitor center and maybe it would attract foot traffic and new members who walk in.

 

I'm sure everyone who lives in Akron love their little town.

But it doesn't seem like a good location for the Headquarters of world wide organization.

 

With this location, all you have are phones and the internet.

The office was in Edgewood because Founders Ranch was right up the road and I'm sure it was convenient and much less expensive than SoCal.

As for the office itself, I have never been there, but I'm pretty sure it's not a tourist attraction and I can bet Misty and Ruby have much better things to do with their time than play tour guide. It's a business office for cryin out loud! What would the "foot traffic" be coming in to see? The desks, computers and phones used to conduct business? It's not the Roy Rogers Museum! I think you'd be pretty disappointed if you actually saw most "word wide organizational headquarters". A few folks at desks with phones and computers. It's not a well-staffed tourist attraction... no matter how much some wished it was.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Misty Moonshine said:

100 % correct. 
 

HQ office location has zero bearing on the marketing or success of SASS. 
 

Misty

You are right....but I feel sorry for all the members (and former members) who donated a ton of time and money to SASS to develop and build the Founders Ranch. Special memberships, fund raisers for buildings and many volunteer hours. Sad deal. I have said enough.

Edited by Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

You are right....but I feel sorry for all the members (and former members) who donated a ton of time and money to SASS to develop and build the Founders Ranch. Special memberships, fund raisers for buildings and many volunteer hours. Sad deal. I have said enough.

We are fortunate that the Ranch was purchased by local businessmen who are continuing to operate it as a shooting range.  Local clubs continue holding matches there and the Sporting Clays ranges are being expanded.  The buildings are being improved.   I expect the range will host various regional shooting matches.  Thanks SASS for getting FR started.  The NM State's COVID restrictions killed 37% of small businesses across the state.  Outdoor venues like golf courses, tennis courts and outdoor shooting ranges should have never been treated like indoor entertainment venues.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This new location is just up the road from my ole home town. Akron is a great place , close to Paradise pass.  If I were to move back to Indiana , that would be  one of the places I would look at.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

You are right....but I feel sorry for all the members (and former members) who donated a ton of time and money to SASS to develop and build the Founders Ranch...

Their choice.  No one twisted their arms or rustled their cattle to force them.  No different than a Land agent telling the club that built the range "thank you, good bye".

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2021 at 8:08 PM, Chili Pepper Pete 11917 said:

 

I often find myself walking thru towns looking for random organizations to join.  Most places don’t have a “walk ins welcome” sign but I just look at the building and knock on the door to see if I can join.   

 

SASS has gone thru some incredible changes the past 2 years,  Membership is on the rise and the new board could not be more well rounded and inclusive.   Misty has been more open and forthcoming with what is going on in the organization then it ever was in the past so why dont we let her do what she thinks is best and support her?

Hey I do the same thing.  We should start world tour.  We could call it "Walking thru towns looking for random organizations to join hosted by Chili and The OTJ."

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, Ya Big Tree said:

Welcome to Indiana. Where the grass is green and the humidity... well you'll find out.

And the directions to anywhere you're going are always the same, "Jes go 1/4 mile past the corn field and turn left".:P:D:P

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

And the directions to anywhere you're going are always the same, "Jes go 1/4 mile past the corn field and turn left".:P:D:P

Unless you turn LEFT when you're supposed to turn RIGHT... then it is 3 miles...then right...3 miles then right....2 1/2 miles...and left...only 1/4 mile away from where your first RIGHT turn should have been made!!! OIY!!!

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grew up in Farmington, NM when it was a small town.

There was nothing but a post office, a bar and a dot here are there between Farmington and Aztec.

Anyway...I was given directions to someone's home.

Me: " Cool. How do I get there?"

Him: " Go through Aztec, and at the end of town look for the chubby chicken...I'm the house across the street."

Me: ( how am I supposed to see a chubby chicken in a yard?)

I went through Aztec, and yup...there on the right was The Chubby Chicken!!!

A drive up eatery!!!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's about time that SASS is getting control of it operating finances.

 

Moving to the MidWest makes a lot of sense. Although my personal, emotional preference would have the HQ  in the West, centering it  closer to where the SASS members live makes sense. Anyway, New Mexico and its governor are not as gun friendly as in the past. Indiana is pretty red.

 

Idaho, Montana and Wyoming still have only one area code. We aren't exactly heavily populated urban centers.

 

This move is one of the actions SASS needs to implement in order for it to survive. Sometimes difficult decisions must be made to ensure there is a future.

 

It appears that Misty Moonshine is a good financial manager and is being supported by the new board.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Times change, sometimes for the good. My family established our Idaho place in the 1870s. Our headquarters was the Bellevue Hotel. That is now under the water.

We had our own railroad station. That whole UP branch has been abandoned.

 

However, we now have electricity, telephone, television and internet services.

 

At least SASS is dealing with reality.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After visiting that area several months ago for EOT, I can see the attraction.  Corn fields make good neighbors.  However, I do question the wisdom of buying a bank while associating with a bunch of Outlaws.

 

I wish them well with the move.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

After visiting that area several months ago for EOT, I can see the attraction.  Corn fields make good neighbors.  However, I do question the wisdom of buying a bank while associating with a bunch of Outlaws.

 

I wish them well with the move.  

Now that's funny!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2021 at 11:06 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

 

Have I missed something??  Did someone declare a couple of these dudes "entitled??"  I don't see anywhere in the SASS handbooks that states "members may demand answers."  Get over yourselves buttercup.

 

Atz a really neat looking building.  I'd be for leaving most of the period woodwork and furniture in place.  Use to patronize a really neat Restaurant in Old Sacramento was made up of old Bank Woodwork.  Really KOOL!!  Really neat move, by the way.

Agree 100%. Some of these comments really cut to the bone and are for certain not the Cowboy Way. Some of the few just sound plum mad and I hope I never have to posse with them. Congratulations to MM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2021 at 4:32 PM, Colt Laredo said:

Jealous of what?

As a Member, they are legitimate questions.

Not really. Did the NRA contact you when they made their Texas move. What about AARP, did they also contact you? This new leadership team is energetic and working hard for the future of SASS. Just something to ponder, Maybe want to Cowboy up and lend support for these fine folks

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something else to smoke over! The town of Bentonville, Arkansas has a population of less than 60,000!

 

If you’re not familiar with Bentonville, it’s the home of Walmart!!

 

Don’t sell small towns short!!

 

As I said in another thread discussing this move, the median population center of the US is near the town of Modoc, close to the southern tip of Indiana!

 

The mean center of population for the US is Hartville, Missouri, just east of Springfield.

 

All of this just means that the new SASS headquarters will be MUCH nearer to the nation’s population center!

 

 

 

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Something else to smoke over! The town of Bentonville, Arkansas has a population of less than 60,000!

 

If you’re not familiar with Bentonville, it’s the home of Walmart!!

 

Don’t sell small towns short!!

 

As I said in another thread discussing this move, the median population center of the US is near the town of Modoc, close to the southern tip of Indiana!

 

The mean center of population for the US is Hartville, Missouri, just east of Springfield.

 

All of this just means that the new SASS headquarters will be MUCH nearer to the nation’s population center!

 

 

 

See...you are saying POPULATION center.

Yes, more people on the east side...

But folks say centraly located...wich is not so, that is in SD.

 

But, either way...Misty has a plan, let her fly.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.