SASS Wire Forum

Thinking of a new press

LostVaquero

My Hornady LNL has had a major breakdown for the second time in 4 months.  It is probably five years old at this point and I can't even begin to figure how many thousands of rounds.  Anyway, first the index pawls went and then the index wheel but the whole thing is starting to need a little help working.  Yes I probably can get a new index wheel and might but thinking maybe getting a new press instead.

Now I have read a lot of people like Dillions.  I have never used one.  Looking on the site it would appear the 650 is closest to the LNL (with a 5 die head).  I am guessing the dies I have will work.  The big change would be getting new plates (not inexpensive) but considering I use about 4 calibers most of the time doable.    A new Hornady is a bit less expensive but getting tired of some of the fussiness of the machine.

So should I jump from red to blue?

I would. The 650 is an awesome machine. Wish I had got that instead of my 550. Don't get me wrong, the 550 is nice but I sure would like the auto indexing feature

I made the jump to Dillon a few months ago. I have two used 550s. Yes, your existing dies should work, but the Dillon dies do come part easy to clean without changing any adjustment. The Dillons have a little of a learning curve which could be translated into fussiness. I wouldn't want to go back to my single stage press but setting up a Dillon isn't as easy as I thought it would be. All things being equal, I would go to Dillon.

Dillon 650 is a great choice.   Started loading two years ago this March and have run 60k through a used 650.  Cal Conversions are 10-15 minutes.  Customer service rocks.     I broke the indexer ring on mine yesterday---called them today and they mailed out the part free of charge and the alignment tool for free as I will need one for reassembly.   Sent mine in at 30K for a free overhaul, had it back in ten days from when I shipped it with additional parts installed and I was not charged for.  They are awesome machines.  As I was new to loading I used youtube to set up my first set of dies.  Was up and running in about an hour. 

Dillon 650 and don’t look back. After initial setup, follow directions and take your time, worry free and world class customer service. Approaching 50000 rounds and only replaced three plastic parts.(no charge), case feed bushings.

+6 on the 650.  After 13 years, 3 matches a month and now two shooters, for the last 7 1/2 years, I have no idea how many rounds I've loaded.

Like others have mentioned, I've have had somethings break, but Dillon always replaces them free of charge.  They have the best customer service department I've ever dealt with. 

You can’t go wrong with Dillon. I have 2. Tool heads are easy and quick to change, uses standard dies, caliber changes are quick etc etc etc. 

sure they may be a bit more expensive but the difference in cost comes durability, ease of use, reliability and customer service that can’t be beat. I have 550’s but know numerous folks who have 650’s and love them. 

Just my humble opinion of course. 

Good luck in your quest. 

p.s.:  I just finished loading 1700 38-40 bp rounds without a single issue. 

I have 2 650's, one set up for large primers and the other for small pistol primers.  They are worth the extra money and their customer service (plus free replacement parts for life) are the envy of the industry. 

13 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

You can’t go wrong with Dillon. I have 2. Tool heads are easy and quick to change, uses standard dies, caliber changes are quick etc etc etc. 

sure they may be a bit more expensive but the difference in cost comes durability, ease of use, reliability and customer service that can’t be beat. I have 550’s but know numerous folks who have 650’s and love them. 

Just my humble opinion of course. 

Good luck in your quest. 

p.s.:  I just finished loading 1700 38-40 bp rounds without a single issue. 

Too Tall what do you use for a hopper for loading bp?  For the Hornady I have a RCBS metal bp hopper.  Have not loaded bp in ages but maybe one day FC Gunfigter might be in the future.

Only the SDB press uses proprietary dies.  For some calibers non-Dillon dies are too short to install the lock ring on top side of the tool head.  

5 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

My Hornady LNL has had a major breakdown for the second time in 4 months.  It is probably five years old at this point and I can't even begin to figure how many thousands of rounds.  Anyway, first the index pawls went and then the index wheel but the whole thing is starting to need a little help working.  Yes I probably can get a new index wheel and might but thinking maybe getting a new press instead.

Now I have read a lot of people like Dillions.  I have never used one.  Looking on the site it would appear the 650 is closest to the LNL (with a 5 die head).  I am guessing the dies I have will work.  The big change would be getting new plates (not inexpensive) but considering I use about 4 calibers most of the time doable.    A new Hornady is a bit less expensive but getting tired of some of the fussiness of the machine.

Hornady has the EXACT same policy as Dillon. 

Send the press to them and they will fully recondition it and return it to you.

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Hornady has the EXACT same policy as Dillon. 

Send the press to them and they will fully recondition it and return it to you.

IMHO, that would be a no-brainer.  I love my Hornady LNL AP Press.  Certainly a lot simpler and cheaper set-up than this (no disrespect to Slowaz Molasses intended) :

IMG_0142.thumb.JPG.ebe93b70db5a0ff9a62e8f0c2ff9c759.JPG

I have no experience with the LNL but I did purchase a used RL550 that was probably 10 or so years old when I got it. I've been using it for 5 years and load ~ 23k rounds per year with very few minor issues. Can't go wrong with a Dillon.

6 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

Black. I just got a Lyman 310 to load my 45Colts on.  

br1150.jpg

Yes, this post is in jest... do't ask silly questions, only those with red machines will say no... I've only read of ONE person that was dissatisfied with their Dillon... (They probably don't like red, green, orange black, gray or gold machines either.:P  

If you have been running a LNL the 650 is the choice for you. Do not buy a 550, the allure is cheaper and quicker caliber changes changes but it's a glorified turret press with the weakest priming system in all of Dillons line. Just sold my 550 and could not be happier with adding another 650 in large primer. 

If you bought a Dillon 5 years ago, you could send it back and they would rebuild it for you.  My 550 has been completely rebuilt once.  No charge.

1 hour ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

If you have been running a LNL the 650 is the choice for you. Do not buy a 550, the allure is cheaper and quicker caliber changes changes but it's a glorified turret press with the weakest priming system in all of Dillons line. Just sold my 550 and could not be happier with adding another 650 in large primer. 

Gosh Deuce, now i have a good excuse to finally get the 650. Got a SDB don't care for the size of the machine if ya got big hand's it can be a pain to set your bullets, low clearance between the tool head and shell plate.  Iv'e been pretty happy with my 550 but it sure would be nice ta have auto indexing.  Maybe i'll send the SDB down the trail and set a 650 in it's place.

I've been running a Dillon 550 for 12 years +, I had it reconditioned 4 years ago. I've loaded 45, .44-40 and .38's. I like the manual indexing. It comes in handy if something doesn't work right, human error or not and I've never had a problem with the priming system. It works just great!;)

17 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Welcome to the BLUE world.

Been run'n a D/550 for 30+ yrs. ;)

Have no problem load'n 400+ rnds an hour.

OLG

Likewise, and comfortably run @ 2-300/rnds per hour.   I LIKE reloading, so, like my shooting I take my time.    

I've been running a 650 since 2001.  When I bought it, I started saving the tops from the boxes of 1000 primers.  About 8 years ago I cleaned out and had over 750 of 'em  That press has seen a lot of use.  Had to replace the primer seating ram once, and now the indexing ring is cracked.  Dillon is sending parts and the alignment tool.  Haven't ever sent it back for a rebuild.  Great press and service.

I have 2 SDBs, a 550 and a SD900 in 12 ga. I kinda like Blue. I tend to agree with Rye Miles, not that fond of auto index. Especially on the shotshell loader. If there is a problem, there can be a real problem. This is true for all progressives that I have used,  y'all tell me if I'm wrong, please.

Imis

A "friend" introduced me to his 1050.

Now I can't get it outta my mind.

There is no pushing forward after the down stroke to seat the primer. Seating the primer is another station and the primer depth is adjustable.

Thanks "friend".:lol:

Waimea

17 minutes ago, Waimea said:

There is no pushing forward after the down stroke to seat the primer. Seating the primer is another station and the primer depth is adjustable.

Waimea

The 1050 is something  but currently  way out of my range.

I lucked out as my SDB was my first press so SDB dies instead of standard ones weren't a problem, after all had to have some type.  bought it when it was $129.95 so that gives you an idea how long ago it was.

I, too, enjoy the reloading part and love to see the brass go from dirty, off the ground cases to brand spanking new looking reloads (use wet tumbling to get this look)

2 hours ago, Waimea said:

Waimea

Horrible for changing calibres and is not covered by their normal warranty because it's considered a commercial press.

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Horrible for changing calibres and is not covered by their normal warranty because it's considered a commercial press.

So far (10 years) only reloaded .38.

That could change but past performance...

I know about the warranty but thanks.

Appreciate it.

Waimea

1 hour ago, Waimea said:

So far (10 years) only reloaded .38.

That could change but past performance...

I know about the warranty but thanks.

Appreciate it.

Waimea

Yeah, I figured you knew... Guess I was pointing my thoughts towards new press buyers.

As others have said get the LNL reconditioned before going blue if you have to..I have  Hornady & Dillon & like the  performance  of both... YMMV.

I gave in to peer pressure and bought an SDP last summer.  I have yet to reload a trustable box of 50 rounds.  I know I need to call Dillon, but it is so easy to switch to my Lee turret and load round that I can believe in.

The 650 is a great machine. I had a 550 also. I sold the 550 and bought another 650. I regretted selling the 550 due the flexibility of the 550.  A few years later the 550 came back to me.

My only issues was a blown primer system on the 650.  Twice it happened, twice it was my fault. To big a hurry. 

Archived