SASS Wire Forum

Do you have a passport?

Alpo

TV and movies, they frequently have people jumping up and going to other countries on the spur of the moment. Now that's a wonderful thing, if you've got the money to pay for the plane trip to go to this other country. But occasionally I wonder why did they have a passport?

Back about 02 I think it was, the government decided that you now needed a passport to go to Canada or Mexico or the Caribbean islands. So my company got me a passport, because I was frequently making trips to Puerto Rico. I tried to explain to them that Puerto Rico was America, but they didn't care and they got me a passport anyway. I've never used it. And it expired, and I never renewed it. Why? I don't go overseas. I don't go to other countries. Why would I need a passport?

I surely can't be the only person that never leaves the country. So I'm just wondering how many normal people have passports.

If I was rich, I can see having one, because if I was rich I might take it into my head to jump on a plane and go to England or Germany or Japan. And I would need a passport. But I'm not rich, so I'm not going to make one of those spur of the moment overseas flights.

• Like 1

I got a passport card in 2013 in order to go to Canada for PAL classes.

Used it once since then (2019) to certify an RO Instructor.
It expired a year ago...on-line renewal has been down...need to make an appointment at the local PO I guess. 

Didn't need one for a trip to Puerto Vallarta back in 1984.

• Like 2

I have one; Mexico is close by - I have business interests in Tijuana and Rosarita and a couple members of my staff regularly go down to TJ for stem cell treatments. 

And we are currently in talks with a company in Dubai (so a 16 hour flight that I am not looking forward to).

So since I may need to cross into Mexico or hop a plane on short notice - I keep my passport current.

• Like 2

I got one in 2019 because I went on a cruise and the cruise line required it. Inside passage from Seattle to Alaska and back, with one of the ports being Victoria, BC. We'd both been there, so didn't even get off the ship, just did some laundry, caught a movie on board... something... I don't remember...

• Like 1

Nope. And still don't have my Internal Passport (Real ID).  I suppose I should get around to getting that one or soon I won't be allowed to go into state or federal buildings.  
If I don't have the Internal Passport, and get called for Jury Duty, will I be dinged if I don't report because I can't get into the building?

• Like 1

Never had one or needed one.

There were 3,000,000+ other people from south of the border that never had one and apparently didn't need one either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Nope. And still don't have my Internal Passport (Real ID).  I suppose I should get around to getting that one or soon I won't be allowed to go into state or federal buildings.  
If I don't have the Internal Passport, and get called for Jury Duty, will I be dinged if I don't report because I can't get into the building?

Don’t know about you but I answered the fed questionnaire with “75”.

• Like 1

Nope.

My work tried to force me to get one in 2012 and I told them to shove it; zero reason for me to be outside the confines of the Continental US.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may get one...just in case. But...I won't go to Canada again. I used to have to cross the border up to six times a week...three trips in and out of...and I got so tired of dealing with smart-a$$ border agents...on both sides of the border...but a lot of times...the US guards made you feel like you were coming into a foriegn country instead of coming home. Now I refuse to go to Canada

Never had one and don't need one right now. I'm not going to Canada or Mexico in this lifetime. If I decide to take a trip to maybe Italy then I'll get one.

• Like 1

I renewed mine last year so my wife and I could go to Niagara Falls. 

I like having one so I have a second government ID in case I should need 2 official photo IDs.

Why would I need that, you ask?

Because I want it.

• Like 2

That reminds me of the joke where the old man is going through customs in Paris. And he did not have his passport out when he got to the front of the line. The passport official was quite rude, which I understand is pretty much the way it always is when the French are speaking to Americans, and he told the old man, "Haven't you ever been to France before? You should know to have your passport ready!!"

And the old man says that he had been to France once before, and nobody wanted to see his passport.

And the passport official demanded to know where and when this was, so he could make a report of it to his Superior.

And the old man says, "Normandy, June of 1944".

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

. The passport official was quite rude, which I understand is pretty much the way it always is when the French are speaking to Americans, and he told the old man,....

I've been to France several times, the first 40 years ago, and found this to be untrue each time.

• Like 1

Had one for work travel (mostly Europe, Canada & UK) since '96. Our son and his family were stationed in Okinawa from mid  '20 til Jan '24. So, it's unlikely that I ever renew my passport again.

As an international investment banker, I needed a passport to travel to all kinds of horrible international countries for business.

Now that I'm retired, my international travel is restricted to Canada. My last over one inch thick passport was happily not renewed.

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

I surely can't be the only person that never leaves the country. So I'm just wondering how many normal people have passports.

Hey Alpo, since when do you consider yourself "Normal"? :P

I have one because I had to travel to The Netherlands for work.  Work paid for it, and they paid for the expedite fee because the trip was very short notice.  Company did pay for a "business" class seat because it met the "international" travel requirements for length of flight. :D That was an experience considering I had only ever flown as part of the herd of cattle squeezed into the little seats in the back of the plane...there are advantages of being part of a multinational company.  I got the simple card at the same time because we also have a company just south of the border and since the company was paying, why not.

BTW, surely I dont consider myself normal.... and dont call me Shirley.

Edited by Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428

36 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Hey Alpo, since when do you consider yourself "Normal"?

I not only am normal, but I am the standard by which normal is measured. Everyone out there that is like me is normal.

The rest of y'all, who are not like me, are abnormal.

If you take your brain out at night and leave it in a container so you can rest better, make sure that Eye-gor isn't anywhere near around.

• Haha 5

Do I have one? Yes.

Do I occasionally need it? Yes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Never had one and don't need one right now. I'm not going to Canada or Mexico in this lifetime. If I decide to take a trip to maybe Italy then I'll get one.

Don't say never, I have considered what my game plan would be if the US does get hit with an EMP that shuts down the nations electrical grid forever. If Mexico and Canada are spared from this I would consider hopping over the border to spend the rest of my life in some semblance of normal. Or to at least get to a working airport and go somewhere else that would be nice like Hawaii.

TM

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The things you learn here in the Saloon: if you never leave the country, you don't need a passport!

You can leave you just can't get back in

Wife and I have one.

We take a trip sometimes two a year that it is needed.

Either a cruise to the Carribean or fly to one of the islands.

Favorite is St Marteen.    

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I traveled a lot, to 47 states and seven foreign countries, by plane, ship, train, and car, and had no passport ever.

Military orders never required anything else.

I'm with Forty on this one. I haven't had the need to go anywhere else since Uncle Sam isn't paying for it anymore. I do have the REAL ID, but that's because I was a truck driver and had to provide the info anyway for my HAZMAT Endorsement.

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

You can leave you just can't get back in

Not exactly. They won't let you get on the airplane in the first place without one on an international flight, and if they did, the destination country won't let you in.

• Like 1