SASS Wire Forum

Favorite burger chain?

Not wanting to hijack the animal style In N Out thread, what is your favorite chain and why?

For me, I like Five Guys. Their basic single-patty burger with mustard and mayo. Of course, their fries are heaven.

Sometimes I need a quarter pounder with cheese, but that’s mostly for nostalgia’s sake.  

What’s y’all’s favorite beef patty on a bun?

I'd have to rate three, in this order:

Nations

In 'n' Out

Rally's

Nation's started as a small "burger joint" in 1952, and grew into a small chain - with the burgers, fries, and shakes retaining that "cooked to order" impression.

In 'n' Out could have been created to be a modernized Nation's - quite good, but the food has a bit of a "mass-produced" flair.

Rally's Big Buford is just a really good double-patty burger.  Otherwise, the first two have a sizable edge on the chain.

Everything else is just "fast food."  Edible, even enjoyable to a degree, but not in the same league for quality of food.  ;)

1. Whataburger

2. 5 Guys

3. Freddie's

4. In-N-Out

5. Chili's

Yup, aside from In N Out, Rallys is pretty good.  They put one in my town last year.  Tough place to be since my town is the birthplace of In N Out (In N Out number 1 was just across from my High School), but Rallys puts out a dang good burger, and their chili cheese fries are great.

22 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Rally's Big Buford is just a really good double-patty burger. 

I forgot about them, mostly ‘cause I’m not near them any more. A Big Buford and their spicy fries were lunch ecstasy. 

I like Cook Out!  Great menu and the fries are superb!!  The burgers are thick and juicy and the sautéed onions and cheese just ROCK!!

Red Robin has several different burgers and lots of choices in toppings and buns, PLUS bottomless fries and fried pickles and the onion ring tower.

At one time I liked Carols junior , then Wendy’s after that Hardee’s. Then I discovered I made the best hamburgers. So it’s Bells Burgers, you have to come visit me to get one.  Reservations only , 2 months notice due to meat processing. 

Note: once I learned to cook, I quit eating out. Grocery bill dropped over $400 a month. Nnoboby else handling my food but the wife.

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Not wanting to hijack the animal style In N Out thread, what is your favorite chain and why?

For me, I like Five Guys. Their basic single-patty burger with mustard and mayo. Of course, their fries are heaven.

Sometimes I need a quarter pounder with cheese, but that’s mostly for nostalgia’s sake.  

What’s y’all’s favorite beef patty on a bun?

I'm with ya. None around these parts though.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That would be In N Out.  Great value.  Number 3, with,  ketchup and mustard instead, extra crisp fries, diet Coke. Pay at the first window. 

I found the worst In n Out in the world in phoenix. Usually they're great..:angry:

1. Culvers  (they got a little pricey after Covid-19, but their butter burgers are Yummy)

2. Wendy's

3. In-N-Out

4. Whataburger

It depends on where I am and what’s available. In-N-Out and 5 Guys aren’t everywhere, but those 2 are tops in my book. If I ever came to a place where they were side by side I would have to flip a coin. All other burger joints have their pluses and I like burgers at all of them.

The one I go out of my way to avoid is McDonald’s. And Red Robin is actually below McDonald’s for me but that one is a personal issue. I would eat at McDonald’s over Red Robin and that ain’t saying much. 

The only fast food joint within twenty miles of me is a single Burger King. Steak and Shake was my favorite but the nearest is over an hour away 

A little place in my town called Stevenson’s. Best burgers I’ve ever had!

Chain food would be Wendy’s.

I can only speak for myself with the available burger chains.

1 - Culvers

2 - Steak & Shake

3 - Biff Burger (yes, there is still one in St. Pete as far as I know)

4 - 5 Guys

Used to say to myself "Hey a 1/4 LB w/cheese sure does sound good". Then I'd stop and get one.......yuck. The rest of them seem just as bad. Sure isn't the taste of the old days.

As far as Rallys.....Checkers is the Rally equivalent. The last electrical company the I worked for did service work for about 10 of them in the area, I've been to every one of them. All of them were the nastiest, dirtiest chain type "restaurant" that I've ever worked in......including Chinese places. I would absolutely have to be starving to eat in one of them.

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I can only speak for myself with the available burger chains.

1 - Culvers

2 - Steak & Shake

3 - Biff Burger (yes, there is still one in St. Pete as far as I know)

4 - 5 Guys

Used to say to myself "Hey a 1/4 LB w/cheese sure does sound good". Then I'd stop and get one.......yuck. The rest of them seem just as bad. Sure isn't the taste of the old days.

As far as Rallys.....Checkers is the Rally equivalent. The last electrical company the I worked for did service work for about 10 of them in the area, I've been to every one of them. All of them were the nastiest, dirtiest chain type "restaurant" that I've ever worked in......including Chinese places. I would absolutely have to be starving to eat in one of them.

Biff burger brings back memories of fifty years ago. Eight burgers or six cheese burgers for a buck. Pure grease but for hungry students with limited funds they were great  

My favorite winter time breakfast in North Carolina was Steak & Shake beef soup and a large order of fries. 

Their burgers were pretty good too. I forgot about that place. 

Favorite chain burger. Hmmm...

Culver's, Five Guys and Steak n' Shake all do burgers I like. I like all of their fries too, despite them all being different.

Favorite restaurant burger is from a small place in Yellow Springs called Peach's.

Whataburger

the Green Chili Chesseburger. !!!!

OR 

The Bacon Chesseburger with a fried Egg

OR

Heck any burger from 

Whataburger

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Favorite chain burger. Hmmm...

Culver's, Five Guys and Steak n' Shake all do burgers I like. I like all of their fries too, despite them all being different.

Favorite restaurant burger is from a small place in Yellow Springs called Peach's.

With dessert from Young’s Dairy. 

39 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

With dessert from Young’s Dairy. 

But of course!!!

Archived