SASS Wire Forum

Look back in time,

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Interesting video of a CAS match in 1995. We were still doing a lot of this type of stuff in Michigan when I started. I know asking our current crop to get down on one knee to shoot would be tough right now. But it's fun to look back.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deuce,

I started shooting in 1999 and there still was laying, kneeling, sitting on a variety of things including boxsprings or pretend horses,...

I'm not so sure I favor it any more. After tearing my meniscus, kneeling is not very appealing. Heck, I've even gone from my trademark booming SG loads to feather light equivalents after breaking a shoulder.

Time has a way of changing things that were once fun.

Regards,

Allie

A couple of observations.

1. While kneeling may not be practical for some of us for various legitimate reasons, maybe there is way to still include it. Something like this...

Start at Position 1. At the beep shoot will either A. kneel and fire through the opening or B, move to position 2 and fire through the window while standing. Move to Position 3 and.... Continue as normal.

Choice A or B would have different targets, and it would be shooters choice. It would have to be designed so that there is no advantage to getting 3 from either 1 or 2, and the kneeling or moving should take about the same about of time. Just a thought.

2. The third Calvary reenactors? Calvary is a hill outside of Jerusalem.

I started in May 96 and we did all kind of goofy stuff would getcha strung up now.

Funny to see pistol targets farther out than rifle targets are now.

Wonder if it was a mistake by the narrator and film maker or if Comancheria Days did used to be Comanchera Days back then. Still a great annual.

And no, the narrator like most Americans cannot pronounce cavalry...

I tried to shoot off the back of my horse a few times, My horse did not appreciate it, and became quite entertaining.

I started back in 95-96 and there was a lot of movement, and shooting behind cover, but I do not recall the rifle shots being at those distances.

At one local club, most often the pistol or pistols were staged, drawing from leather was considered a safety issue,

The game has chaned a bit, but I am having as much fun now as I ever did

Coffee

I noticed a couple of things in the video.

First, all the non-shooting stuff was on the clock. All of the targets were very small compared to today's targets and the rifle targets were really out there.

If a match director did those things today, he'd be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail. Many of the regular posters here on the Wire today tell us that all of those things will cause a club to go under due to lack of attendance.

And no, the narrator like most Americans cannot pronounce cavalry...

I have corrected a local funeral director twice this year of the mistake on obits. He insists that most won't know the difference. I told him that those of us that served in the Cavalry do, and the Veteran whose obit is posted would surely have known the difference.

A Troop 7/1 Air Cav

Vinh Long, Vietnam

70-71

Now that is what I remember as small and far targets. Maybe all big and close lovers will realize why back in the early 2000's we thought 16" squares at 7 yrds was more than hitable at speed. Evidently the 170 didn't exist in 95.

I wasn't going to say anything......but........

The target distance, size and off the clock stuff wasn't much different from 97 till 00 IMO.

is it just me or did not the 150 get broken a couple times with that handgun setup , not meaning to be rude as ii enjoyed this look back very much , i just know a couple times in the past ive seen folks get called for less ,

i agree getting down might be accomplished but rising from that knee might require a helping hand these days ,

Started CAS in 1994 and Shot there, Comancheria Days, many times starting in '96.

The targets were smaller and further but NO ONE complained, everyone shot the same one's.

There weren't as many catagories as there now either ;)

Had a blast everytime I was there :D

I remember shoots like that, on horse back, shooting out of a 4 legged bath tub, finding shells in boxes and whole lot more. those were fun days back in the early years. seen lots of changes in 30 years of shooting. thanks for the memories Deuce. I can remember when the fast cowboy shooters were in the high 30 to 40 sec per stage. Now look where it is. Keep em happy on the trail.

We had one stage where you had to lie down on your bed roll and jump up and toss a rope at a steer head before the shooting started. And that was on the clock. On another stage we shot while sitting on a saddle on a makeshift horse. President of the club broke one of the stirrups and fell off. Shooting little ketchup packages on a wall while sitting in a tub ala Glenn Ford in Cowboy. Ketchup flying everywhere. Yeah, the good old days! ^_^

I remember doing all that stuff, looking back it was a lot of fun but it's a different game now and just as much fun in it's own way.

I remember having to sit down and eat an oreo cookie "ON THE CLOCK" before you could start shooting. You had to open your mouth and show the TO that you were pretty much done! Bizzare!!! :wacko:

Rye

Its not all about ME, its not all about ME for Christ's sake! I can not do this anymore, I can not do that anymore, We are all old geezers now so none of that stuff is possible anymore! I remember different, lots different, throwing, lassoing, toting packages, shooting while holding swinging bags of gold, loading/reloading guns on the clock and very much more. I also remember looking around at some of my fellow shooters in those days and thinking they sure looked old and decrepit, so how did they play the game in the way we cry that it can not be played any more? It is very simple, we were just as accommodating back then as we are now, if you couldnt do it the hard way then you could do it however you felt you could get it done. HMMM, this does bring into play the fact that we were different people in those days also. If a cowboy said I just can not do it that way any longer, we believed him and did not immediately wonder if he was looking for a competitive edge!

As recently as a couple of years ago the two closest SASS matches to my house played cowboy in totally opposite ways, one still played pretty much the old way, and that was not always about physical torture or long range targets but I digress, while the other club shoots in the modern close, fast and not much stage creativity. Since I have not been to either match in at least two years I do not know if anything has changed since then but both clubs seemed to be doing well at last count. What is different from the WIRE BS is the fact that there are lots of shooters shooting both matches and doing so with big smiles on their faces and most of them can be seen at both matches each month. So do not listen to those who say there is no longer room in SASS for shooters who like a little variation in their shooting venues, even to the point of being regular! The real difference is that so many want every monthly match to be a carbon copy practice match for their next state, regional or whatever.

Starting cross legged at the campfire, shooting while standing on a piece of plywood mounted on an old bed spring (buckboard), getting on and off horses, rifle prone from under the wagon, the list goes on. Good memories, but I'm kinda glad they're memories. I like to be able to get out of bed the next day ;) I kinda miss the knife and tomahawk throw for bonus points :D

CR

Its not all about ME, its not all about ME for Christ's sake! I can not do this anymore, I can not do that anymore, We are all old geezers now so none of that stuff is possible anymore! I remember different, lots different, throwing, lassoing, toting packages, shooting while holding swinging bags of gold, loading/reloading guns on the clock and very much more. I also remember looking around at some of my fellow shooters in those days and thinking they sure looked old and decrepit, so how did they play the game in the way we cry that it can not be played any more? It is very simple, we were just as accommodating back then as we are now, if you couldnt do it the hard way then you could do it however you felt you could get it done. HMMM, this does bring into play the fact that we were different people in those days also. If a cowboy said I just can not do it that way any longer, we believed him and did not immediately wonder if he was looking for a competitive edge!

As recently as a couple of years ago the two closest SASS matches to my house played cowboy in totally opposite ways, one still played pretty much the old way, and that was not always about physical torture or long range targets but I digress, while the other club shoots in the modern close, fast and not much stage creativity. Since I have not been to either match in at least two years I do not know if anything has changed since then but both clubs seemed to be doing well at last count. What is different from the WIRE BS is the fact that there are lots of shooters shooting both matches and doing so with big smiles on their faces and most of them can be seen at both matches each month. So do not listen to those who say there is no longer room in SASS for shooters who like a little variation in their shooting venues, even to the point of being regular! The real difference is that so many want every monthly match to be a carbon copy practice match for their next state, regional or whatever.

I posted this video for simple entertainment. I've thrown tomahawks and knives, lassoed, cracked a whip, carried saddle bags, got shells from saddle bags,rolled dice,shot snakes (garden hose), got shells out of wishing well bucket after cranking bucket up,rolled cigarette on the clock (it was required),threw a lance,threw dynamite,shot from a bedspring wagon with bifocals on (called it the drunk stage), reloaded pistols,ate doritos on the clock,taken a shot of prune juice and spit it on a plastic dog. reloaded rifles and shot small targets way out there. I have to say that I miss some of the humor and layed back atmosphere but for the most part really enjoy what we do today. Not to be point blank but how many matches have you produced Bob? I can tell you that todays shooters are OLDER. I have had to read through a stack of comment cards commenting on too much movement etc. etc. I know that locally probably 70% of our shooters have never done any of those things. I am glad that locally we still have fun scenarios that change from month to month and lots of movement. Target placement is what it is. If you want to see it change show up and lend a hand. Then start flexing it in. I remember the first time my pard Diewalker and I set the first pistol target at 6 yards at the Rockford Regulators. Some had a heart attack but many of the shooters loved it. We did not like bullseye shooting so we took the bull by the horns and changed it. If you want them farther out try it. Your customers may love it or hate it, you'll find out soon enough.

I can get down on one knee just fine. Now, gettin' back up, that could be a problem......

Laz

I hear that!!! If you notice though, the kneeling was on the last gun of the stage. You could just stay down until help arrived to lever you up.

Wow! I never knew this existed. I was there and had a very large time. When they pan the camera and you see the horsemen behind the crowd I'm the fith from the right. They really put on some great matches back then. At that match Terry's rangers did a mounted charge and competed mounted. There was a mounted cowboy match and there was an Indian camp. There was also an Indian raid from horseback and the mounted cowboys had to chase them off! I shot the mounted and the cowboy event, all going on at the same time.......thanks for posting, dusty Boddams

I posted this video for simple entertainment. I've thrown tomahawks and knives, lassoed, cracked a whip, carried saddle bags, got shells from saddle bags,rolled dice,shot snakes (garden hose), got shells out of wishing well bucket after cranking bucket up,rolled cigarette on the clock (it was required),threw a lance,threw dynamite,shot from a bedspring wagon with bifocals on (called it the drunk stage), reloaded pistols,ate doritos on the clock,taken a shot of prune juice and spit it on a plastic dog. reloaded rifles and shot small targets way out there. I have to say that I miss some of the humor and layed back atmosphere but for the most part really enjoy what we do today. Not to be point blank but how many matches have you produced Bob? I can tell you that todays shooters are OLDER. I have had to read through a stack of comment cards commenting on too much movement etc. etc. I know that locally probably 70% of our shooters have never done any of those things. I am glad that locally we still have fun scenarios that change from month to month and lots of movement. Target placement is what it is. If you want to see it change show up and lend a hand. Then start flexing it in. I remember the first time my pard Diewalker and I set the first pistol target at 6 yards at the Rockford Regulators. Some had a heart attack but many of the shooters loved it. We did not like bullseye shooting so we took the bull by the horns and changed it. If you want them farther out try it. Your customers may love it or hate it, you'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for posting it. Provided a lot of ideas for more creative stages.

Everyone seems to forget that Happy shooters usually say great job and you never hear from them again. Unhappy shooters complain, then complain some more and a month later they are still complaining. One unhappy shooter will be more vocal than 50 happy or 1000 indifferent shooters.

Archived