SASS Wire Forum

Look back in time,

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Enjoyed the video Deuce. I must say though I do miss some of this. This is the first year in close to 14 years I only shot 1 match. Just got burned out on all the stages looking the same, yes different shooting orders. But looking down the shooting range and seeing every target at the same distance. Yes I miss some of the old shoots, 10 rifle targets at different heights and distances from 10 to 40 yards, pistol targets that I couldn't kick. And I'm not trying to bring your post down, but I am saying your both right you and Bob there will be complaints no matter what you set, but there are also a lot of experienced shooters that have drifted away from what the new SASS is.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite shoots was The shootout on the Santa Fe Trail in Raton New Mexico. The old west shooters association ran a yearly shoot. Eight stages per day for a total of 32 stages, plus side events. There was a long range shoot of about 600 yards, a trail walk and one of the stages had rifle targets at approximately 120 yards. The pistol targets where about halve the size of today’s targets and twice as far. Very few pards got a clean match.

Lefty feeling nostalgic

If you ever wondered about WHY they're that way, the 3 founders of OWSA were all retired Marines. Loved those matches... if ever a match warranted a golf cart...

Nice video. Shooting while kneeling used to be fun, but doesn't look so good right now.

Of course the fact that I am laid back on this hospital bed with my brand new bionic knee, waiting to be moved to rehab tomorrow may cloud my judgment.

I do not think it is a matter of whose right or wrong when both formats have large numbers of followers. It only became a problem when one side seemed to win the argument! Since kicking dead mules is still so much fun I think will reintroduce a few more carcasses for the holidays. Pheeew, any body smell something?

OH Mack, if a physical stage requirement isnt comfortable or completely safe for a shooter then it should be excused. The boots and shoes I frequently wear now days would not have passed my own muster ten years ago. Does that make me an old hypocrite? :blush:

Nice video. Shooting while kneeling used to be fun, but doesn't look so good right now.

Of course the fact that I am laid back on this hospital bed with my brand new bionic knee, waiting to be moved to rehab tomorrow may cloud my judgment.

I hope your recovery goes well!

...The boots and shoes I frequently wear now days would not have passed my own muster ten years ago. Does that make me an old hypocrite? :blush:

Hi Bob,

Ditto on the first sentence. No on the second; it makes you a realist. Matches are so much more fun when your feet don't hurt!

Regards,

Allie

DS, I think you missed my point. Yes the old and young can play together, yes the fast shooter and the slow shooter can shoot together, close targets or far, any or all of these have followers. It is when we choose to only offer chocolate all of the time that the game looses the interest of those who would prefer a variety. Two clubs that are close enough that the shooters can choose who survives and who goes away, based on that difference in stage design, and what does it mean when both thrive? It means bs on the common WIRE philosophy that only one way can work. now days. A few shoot one while another few shoot the other but many are very happy to shoot both.

SASS grew and thrived, with all of its childish shooting gimmicks, and actually made 'cowboy' more fun than ever imagined by the stand and deliver fast draw crowd. But rather than kill fast draw, In the end I would bet that fast draw even benefited from the arrival of SASS. Either shooting style can be fun for many but when one goes away, so will a certain group follow it. Far to many things changed for it to be an age based argument, surely an old guy could still throw a cow chip into a bucket, or whatever, it was just decided that it wasnt fun for some and to #@!# with those who thought otherwise. Those high membership numbers do not tell the story of the ones that no longer have a persons name behind them. When I see a certain sport that is boasting to be 'the fastest growing shooting sport today' it is no longer preceded by SASS. But that NEW group does do some of the 'kick a$$' stuff we used to do!

As far as a killer stage in disguise, the night mare I remember was taken from the scene where Gus was sniping from behind his saddle in Lonsome Dove 1. Who would have thought that laying on the ground and shooting over a saddle could have been such a torturous position to obtain for an old fat man? HEH HEH, when we got through a gnawing on the MD, he never wrote that stage in again! His wife even threatened divorce proceedings.

Nope I get your point. Where did I advocate one or the other? I gave an example of what worked for us locally in the last 12 years that I have been involved in match production both at a state and local level. Matches do take on a bit of the Match director/stage writers personality no if ands or buts about it. What I care about is what works for your club in your area. What ever format you use if it's successful (people come back and leave smiling) then good on you. I do feel that it's convenient to blame the lack of influx of shooters on stage design and target placement. I know many folks that make 10-20% less money than they did ten years ago, gas is more than twice what it was when I stared shooting. Apparently we are in a decline yet Winter Range broke yet another record having 800 shooters last year. I regret posting this video as all it did was give yet another outlet for folks to beat a horse that was dead long ago.

Enjoyed the video Deuce. I must say though I do miss some of this. This is the first year in close to 14 years I only shot 1 match. Just got burned out on all the stages looking the same, yes different shooting orders. But looking down the shooting range and seeing every target at the same distance. Yes I miss some of the old shoots, 10 rifle targets at different heights and distances from 10 to 40 yards, pistol targets that I couldn't kick. And I'm not trying to bring your post down, but I am saying your both right you and Bob there will be complaints no matter what you set, but there are also a lot of experienced shooters that have drifted away from what the new SASS is.

Well Tom you have been missed. Sorry that the game does not hold the fun for you that it once did. But as with all things in life folks move on and do other things for a variety of reasons. We have put a lot of lead downrange together the last 8 years or so and I don't remember much about the targets but I do remember the good times we had laughing,competing with each other, leading posses together and just in general having a heck of a good time. Thanks for the memories I've got of ton of good ones with you and Ruby in them. I'm not trying to be right. Just trying to support he game where it is today and give back all that it's done for me. Someday if you ever get the spark reignited I know there is a Kentucky club that would love your help and perhaps you could introduce the things you miss back into the shooting, you gave a lot and where a HUGE factor in making the KY state shoot a major success.

Interesting thread and I think current MD's can learn something from reading it. I always try to keep in mind that Variety is the spice of life. Like Tom said....all the targets don't have to be at the same distance and same height. While I enjoy hammering a stage as much as anyone I like a mix. Nothing extreme by any means. One of theist popular clubs in our area couldn't have a 20 yard shot because of the range layout. The MD does a great job of mixing things up. The stages are interesting without being complicated.

One of my biggest disappointments at matches is having stage after stage of all the same target types set at the same level and distance including shotgun. The shotgun targets don't have to be set in pairs just inches apart.

Stan

PS. Tom and Ruby come down to FL for a vacation. The shooting is not boring!

Hey Deuce I'm glad you posted the video, we have had a great time for a lot of years together. I enjoy looking back at these matches, the kneeling and rolling under wagons was before my time. But so often anymore whenever somebody brings up setting 16 inch plates at 7 to 10 yards the words bullseye matches come up. Does this guy look like he was shooting a bullseye match? Looked like he was rolling along pretty good to me:) And you know I love to shoot and will be back. But we here so much that nobody doesn't love ALL BIG and Close, A few weeks ago someone posted Nobody ever didn't go to a match because it was going to be big and close. That is a very untrue statement.

Tom; Sure miss you and Ruby, not only at Paradise, but in general. You guys are a class act. I last saw you at GOA a couple of years ago. I still am giving out Man Hole Covers for trophies at the BP Guild....lol.

KK

Deuce, don't ever apologize for showing "how it used to be"... I, and a few others, remember those days all too well... and love seein' 'em! At the time of that match... I was 45 and could still run, jump and play with the fast guys... (& gals), but... I believe our average age is starting to show in this sport... While I enjoyed those things,back then... today, I wouldn't want to do some of those same things... not that I wouldn't try... one has to be cognizant of one's limitations. Please believe me, even in those days, we had those that complained when activities got a little too strenuous.

And FWIW, the guy shown in the video was a great competitor, and still missed by those that know him.

And, for those posting comments about him breaking the 170º, give it a break, camera angles can be deceiving... Plus, remember, "straight hang holsters must be allowed to draw and re-holster..."

I'm thinking a of stage maybe called 'Sit and Deliver'.

Shooter is seated in a rocking chair with shotgun at ready and rifle staged on table with revolvers. :P could be fun one time.

Didn't we do that at Oakwood about ten years ago?

Laz

Looks like fun as long as last stage is on knees because take two to get me up. A couple far rifle target adds interest

Darn Duece, what a blast from the past. I was there that year. At one match we had a motorized rocking horse and shot 15 rounds while moving. I think I hit four. Nate Love from Arizona won the stage with 12 or 13 hits, about double anyone else. What a hoot!

Enjoyed video Deuce, although I like present target distances. As good a mix up of target placement, distance, from one stage to next ...of any match I have shot in was at St. Augustine, Fl. St. Shoot.

Stan, y'all did a great job on stages, it was a really fun shoot. Hope to go back again.

...crosscut

It was great to hear a couple of pards talk about the OWSA annual match that Bill Hahn and Greybeard, (and others I don't remember) put on at Whittington Center/Raton N.M. every summer for a few years. I attended that event in '94 and '95 and it ranks as the most fun I ever had in CAS.

Thanks for the memories.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

This was fun to watch and remember when....I remember a stage where we started on our backs with our heads on a saddle, hat over our eyes. ATB you rolled over, pulled up your Winchester and shoot ten rounds over the saddle; then jumped up ( left the rifle on the ground) and eased over to a barrel and shot three SG targets. Then you mounted a horse similar to the one in the clip (only it had four heavy springs to hold it) ( yes, it rocked and rolled) We drew our pistol ( in those days we all had only on revolver) and shot five rounds at a disc target. What a hoot; lots of laughs.

At 73 today -good luck ,. I would never be able to get off the ground! Yes the game has changed, but not the people!

Cheers, Hoss

Archived