SASS Wire Forum

Look back in time,

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Deuce, thanks for posting the video. Brings back a lot of memories.........I was there, but only as an observer. The match was Comencheria Days held in Fredericksburg, Texas and hosted by the Texican Rangers. Mike Harvey, of Cimarron Firearms, was the founder of the club and Cimarron was the main match sponsor. The targets were a ways out and if you notice the stands were a single rod. This is a very rocky area and we drove in the stakes in where we could find a soft spot. Today, we have three legged stands and the targets are much, much closer.

Next year, Comencheria Days will be celebrating its 20th anniversary between April 9-12. Cimarron will again be our main match sponsor as they have been for the last 19 years. I invite all of you to come and join us for our 20th anniversary. And thanks to all who posted positive remarks about the match.

Hope to see you April 9-12, 2015.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting it. Provided a lot of ideas for more creative stages.

Everyone seems to forget that Happy shooters usually say great job and you never hear from them again. Unhappy shooters complain, then complain some more and a month later they are still complaining. One unhappy shooter will be more vocal than 50 happy or 1000 indifferent shooters.

Dave. You add part of that and we will hang you before the 3rd stage. :o:P

While it is nice to look back.

We should remember.

There is a reason why those are thing they USE to do and don't do anymore. :huh:;)

But it's still a nice look back.

Reminds me of the small electric (it was plugged in ) horse we rode while shootng at Mulecamp around 2003-4.

Come on Al who wouldn't want to shoot this stage

11 pistol reload one anytime during string

11 rifle reload one at end of string

Pistols staged behind left wagon wheel, Rifle staged behind right wagon wheel. SG staged between wheels under the wagon.

Shooter starts behind behind left wagon wheel in prone position and fires 11 rounds from pistols in continiuos Nevada sweep.

Shooter then rolls over behing righ wagon wheel and shoots 11 rounds from rifle minimum of 2 rounds on each target

Shooter then rolls over between wheel and shoots SG targets until down.

What's not fun about that??? :P:P :P :P:P

Pistols staged behind left wagon wheel, Rifle staged behind right wagon wheel. SG staged between wheels under the wagon.

Shooter starts behind behind left wagon wheel in prone position and fires 11 rounds from pistols in continiuos Nevada sweep.

Shooter then rolls over behing righ wagon wheel and shoots 11 rounds from rifle minimum of 2 rounds on each target

Yep, and I can see them staking you out on an ant hill! :D ( just to keep with the realism)

CBG

Thanks for sharing this video Deuce!

Yep, and I can see them staking you out on an ant hill! :D ( just to keep with the realism)

CBG

Thanks for sharing this video Deuce!

That would be an effective deterrant. :o We have no shortage of fire ant mounds ;)

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Can you imagine... those revolver targets were 5-7 yards away!

Think of how the fast shooters were penalized and the slower shooters were disenfranchised!! I bet the slow guys felt like crap all the way home! The good old days indeed. ;)

I remember one time Uncle Billy beat me cuz his dynamite went into the well first try and mine took two tosses!! Totally ruined the match for me cuz I had to drive the Cadillac home without the horse trailer!! ;)

That crazy game was to use rifle sights and hit the targets instead of using some tricky shooting order to trip up the shooter at speed which is inherently more fair because as folks age there mental acuity becomes sharper. This too is more fair to the middle of the pack shooters than having to toss a horse shoe. ;)

Back when bullseye cowboy ;) matches were in vogue SASS numbers were soaring, and the Chronicle came in the mail.

Glad those days are gone ;(

My no-good brother-in-law, Francisco Garcia, shot with the Chorro Valley Regulators back in the early 90's. Life took over and he went away for a decade or so. When he came back to the sport a few years ago, one of his first questions was, "When did they start using 2 pistols?".

Fillmore

You go first. :D

I am laughing now just thinking about watching you do that. :lol:

We used to shoot off a buckboard on coil springs. Depending on how much crap you were slinging the other shooters, it could really get jumping from a helpful boot on the back. Way cool.

We still do some goofy stuff once in a while. As I'm kinda broken in the legs, it is an option for me. I take it when I can. I'm a mite crippled but there for a good time too! Bring it on -just be prepared to help me back up!

What's not fun about that??? :P:P:P:P:P

I want to shoot that one!!!!!! Just help me up an dust me off!

You go first. :D

Only if you help me up. I promise I'll help you up, Honest ;)

Same for me Would be a lot of fun at least once.

I am one of the weird shooters in that I like a mixture of targets with some easy stages and some that challenge me as a shooter. Last Sat at the Bar-3 I shot a stand and deliver stage in 20.88 as a duelist. That is a personal best for me and made me feel good.

Guess the challenge is why I love the Cody/Dixon match we have at our Saturday shoots. What I have also gotten enjoyment out of was the Renegade category we shoot on Sunday. Had I not tried it I wouldn't have discovered that I really like shooting DD and FCD. It has also made me realize that some day when I grow up I want to shoot GF and FCGF.

Aside from folks having trouble getting up, can you imagine asking a lady shooter with a full skirt or a BW outfit to roll from one position to the other. :D I might do it if all guns and ammo are staged. :)

CBG

Aside from folks having trouble getting up, can you imagine asking a lady shooter with a full skirt or a BW outfit to roll from one position to the other. :D I might do it if all guns and ammo are staged. :)

CBG

Really didn't think about the ladies. Just made something up on the fly to have a little fun with Anvil Al. He is a great pard to shoot with and always makes it a fun day. Al, like a lot of the people I shoot with, are excellent examples of the "Cowboy Way"

Really didn't think about the ladies. Just made something up on the fly to have a little fun with Anvil Al. He is a great pard to shoot with and always makes it a fun day. Al, like a lot of the people I shoot with, are excellent examples of the "Cowboy Way"

Never met him, but Al always comes off as a good pard and a straight shooter.

CBG

I started in '85 and we did all kind of stuff that would getcha strung up now.

Rifle and one pistol stages, shotgun and one pistol stages. Rifles that only needed 6 rounds. And rifle targets at anywhere from 50 to 100 yards.

Best I remember was an off hand shot @ a 8" plate at 80 yards to stop your time. That was at a major California shoot BTW.

Funny to see pistol targets farther out than rifle targets are now. But use to be common.

A majority of those I shoot with now can't bend over to pick up a piece of brass if required or stand steel without hurting them selves. Time moves on.

Kinda looks like our Spring and Fall two day shoots at the "Porcipine Hills Shadowriders" in 2014.

But minus the smoke iff'in I was a Shootin.

Jabez Cowboy

I'm thinking a of stage maybe called 'Sit and Deliver'.

Shooter is seated in a rocking chair with shotgun at ready and rifle staged on table with revolvers. :P could be fun one time.

And the rule book was 3X4 and about 1/8" thick including the heavy cover. I noticed things happen a little faster these days

I posted this video for simple entertainment. I've thrown tomahawks and knives, lassoed, cracked a whip, carried saddle bags, got shells from saddle bags,rolled dice,shot snakes (garden hose), got shells out of wishing well bucket after cranking bucket up,rolled cigarette on the clock (it was required),threw a lance,threw dynamite,shot from a bedspring wagon with bifocals on (called it the drunk stage), reloaded pistols,ate doritos on the clock,taken a shot of prune juice and spit it on a plastic dog. reloaded rifles and shot small targets way out there. I have to say that I miss some of the humor and layed back atmosphere but for the most part really enjoy what we do today. Not to be point blank but how many matches have you produced Bob? I can tell you that todays shooters are OLDER. I have had to read through a stack of comment cards commenting on too much movement etc. etc. I know that locally probably 70% of our shooters have never done any of those things. I am glad that locally we still have fun scenarios that change from month to month and lots of movement. Target placement is what it is. If you want to see it change show up and lend a hand. Then start flexing it in. I remember the first time my pard Diewalker and I set the first pistol target at 6 yards at the Rockford Regulators. Some had a heart attack but many of the shooters loved it. We did not like bullseye shooting so we took the bull by the horns and changed it. If you want them farther out try it. Your customers may love it or hate it, you'll find out soon enough.

You forgot the rubber chicken tied around your wrist(that tried to jerk your pistol out of your holster everytime you pulled shotgun shells) and the adult sized hobbie horse.

You forgot the rubber chicken tied around your wrist(that tried to jerk your pistol out of your holster everytime you pulled shotgun shells) and the adult sized hobbie horse.

Actually I have the rubber chicken one on video......if both of us. I think that chicken had it out for us cause it got stuck in my 97' and I think it tried to close your lever.

Actually I have the rubber chicken one on video......if both of us. I think that chicken had it out for us cause it got stuck in my 97' and I think it tried to close your lever.

That video sounds like it might be worth paying to see. I assume they used the chicken to slow you down so the camera could capture your movements. :D :D :D

Really appreciate your how to videos.

There was a club in Southern MD that had a gong out at 100 yards for a bonus. One match they had you shooting ten rifle shots prone. They only did that once! Another time they had 16 shotgun knockdowns. You could stage a box of shells on the table. It was different.

About every other month the TX Troublemakers have a stage that is all shotgun. Typically 10 or 12 targets with a mix of swingers and knockdowns moving either down range or laterally depending on what the stage writer chooses. It is a real blast to shoot.

I have a SG belt that will hold 25 shells. I load it in pairs of two with an empty loop between each pair for a total of 16 rounds. Those that do not have enough SG loops borrow slides or an extra belt from one of the other shooters.

Reminds me of the small electric (it was plugged in ) horse we rode while shootng at Mulecamp around 2003-4.

I was there in 2002 and they had it then. What a hoot to see grown men, especially the really big guys sit on a dime store horse and shoot! :D

DS, I think you missed my point. Yes the old and young can play together, yes the fast shooter and the slow shooter can shoot together, close targets or far, any or all of these have followers. It is when we choose to only offer chocolate all of the time that the game looses the interest of those who would prefer a variety. Two clubs that are close enough that the shooters can choose who survives and who goes away, based on that difference in stage design, and what does it mean when both thrive? It means bs on the common WIRE philosophy that only one way can work. now days. A few shoot one while another few shoot the other but many are very happy to shoot both.

SASS grew and thrived, with all of its childish shooting gimmicks, and actually made 'cowboy' more fun than ever imagined by the stand and deliver fast draw crowd. But rather than kill fast draw, In the end I would bet that fast draw even benefited from the arrival of SASS. Either shooting style can be fun for many but when one goes away, so will a certain group follow it. Far to many things changed for it to be an age based argument, surely an old guy could still throw a cow chip into a bucket, or whatever, it was just decided that it wasnt fun for some and to #@!# with those who thought otherwise. Those high membership numbers do not tell the story of the ones that no longer have a persons name behind them. When I see a certain sport that is boasting to be 'the fastest growing shooting sport today' it is no longer preceded by SASS. But that NEW group does do some of the 'kick a$$' stuff we used to do!

As far as a killer stage in disguise, the night mare I remember was taken from the scene where Gus was sniping from behind his saddle in Lonsome Dove 1. Who would have thought that laying on the ground and shooting over a saddle could have been such a torturous position to obtain for an old fat man? HEH HEH, when we got through a gnawing on the MD, he never wrote that stage in again! His wife even threatened divorce proceedings.

My daughter and I shoot several different clubs -because they are different. Different size targets, different distances, stage design, etc. Love them all.

I have corrected a local funeral director twice this year of the mistake on obits. He insists that most won't know the difference. I told him that those of us that served in the Cavalry do, and the Veteran whose obit is posted would surely have known the difference.

A Troop 7/1 Air Cav

Vinh Long, Vietnam

70-71

Not to mention the millions (billions?) of people for whom Calvary is a very special place.

I suspect that there are a huge number of Americans who give thanks to both related sacrifices and most would not feel insulted be the mistake in pronunciation. I do agree that there will also be many Americans who do not know or care about the difference.

Some might take umbrage, and find support, against those who would correct their vocabulary or lack of such. But, then some folks just have to be negative. Period.

A posted video for a look back and the best you can do is hack on someone for spelling/pronunciation? Poor sport boys, poor sport.

Wow! I never knew this existed. I was there and had a very large time. When they pan the camera and you see the horsemen behind the crowd I'm the fith from the right. They really put on some great matches back then. At that match Terry's rangers did a mounted charge and competed mounted. There was a mounted cowboy match and there was an Indian camp. There was also an Indian raid from horseback and the mounted cowboys had to chase them off! I shot the mounted and the cowboy event, all going on at the same time.......thanks for posting, dusty Boddams

Didn't Cap'n Peak get a faceful of "blank"? I remember being glad I wasn't there... you mighta done that to me on purpose! Disappointed at the time that I couldn't be there!!! I'm sure that buckle you have woulda been mine!

Archived