SASS Wire Forum

Have you personalized the look of your Six gun or Lever action in any way.

Bugsbunnyshooter

For example if you sat your Ruger on a table with other would yours stand out or could you pick yours

In my case I my 4 Rugers vaqueros are stainless I was thinking looking for a new type grip to make it a tad unique.

I was thinking about a nice wrap for my lever on the 92 until I read about some rust issuers from moisture.

I think a nice stock refinish might work now

Yes, my Colt:

IMG_0108.jpg

The wife's Colt:

IMG_0104.jpg

If you got "Bugsbunny Shooter" to fit, it might be too small to read!!! :ph34r::D:D :D

Howdy

Years ago I had an engraver customize the dustcover on my '73. I wrote out what I wanted in letters similar to what Winchester used to mark their rifles. I bought an extra dustcover and had him engrave that one. That way I figured if I ever sold the gun I would remove the custom dustcover and install an unmarked one.

IMG_0102.jpg

I don't shoot that rifle much anymore, I usually shoot an iron framed Henry. It is distinctive enough that I have never encountered another like it at a match. My pistols and shotgun are pretty distinctive too, they don't need anything special to identify them.

My two main match revolvers are Ruger Vaqueros bought at different times because I bought them before I knew about cas.

My first one was ordered from just the add in a magazine. I waited 6 months for it to be built. Then I got a second one. 1st has serial number in low 006000. Second one is 10,000 later.

Any way. After shooting them a while then getting in to cas, I found the the 1st revolver shot high right. So I called it my four o'clock gun. That's where I had to aim to hit center on 12" plates at 30 feet. The 2nd revolver shot POA just fine. The factory grips on 1st revolver where some sort of cherry wood and much different in look than all the other Rugers I ended up with.

Any way. I had the grip frame engraved and a 4 day match. I no longer had to look at the gun to tell which was which. If it was engraved, it was the four o'clock gun. Then I had 4 Rugers Vaqueros cleaned up and the 4 o'clock gun sights fix to POA as the others.

Once they all hit the same place for me, I had my 2nd Revolver engraved to match the 1st.

Yes, I could pick mine out of a table full of Rugers. Probably by feel as well.

I have to admit if I put my Rugers on a table with other I am not sure I could pick it out..

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/Just-For-Fun/i-hGcHDjF/0/M/engravedcurley1-M.jpg

Curleys scratched up) Taylors

Well I have changed the grips on many of my guns ranging from a set of black Colt hard rubber grips on one, and some poly ivorys on several to putting real ivorys on my custom nickel GW2.

on the scratched taylors i had my alias engraved on them.

show us your nice ones.

curley

For example if you sat your Ruger on a table with other would yours stand out or could you pick yours

In my case I my 4 Rugers vaqueros are stainless I was thinking looking for a new type grip to make it a tad unique.

I was thinking about a nice wrap for my lever on the 92 until I read about some rust issuers from moisture.

I think a nice stock refinish might work now

I had Chris at Chisel and Plane make a set of Bookended grips for my two Rugers: https://plus.google.com/photos/115786146222945467962/albums/5458950911064433745/5601477256277653714?banner=pwa&pid=5601477256277653714&oid=115786146222945467962

These have had action work by the late Bob Munden - so they are somewhat different in look and in action than a stock ruger.

My other Ruger stainless Steel New Vaquero has been blackened by Robar and has a SBH hammer, but no other work done yet: https://plus.google.com/photos/115786146222945467962/albums/5458950911064433745

SC

My Ruger NM Vaqueros are stainless and have Altamont Rosewood grips and SBH. I've not seen another pair like em yet.

I'd like to give them a Bead Blasting finish, maybe this winter.

Frenchy

Both my OMV have custom wood grips I made and then I had them checkered with my alias on each outside panel..

Did the same to Lacey's pair of OMV's..

My Yellowboy.. I had the forearm checkered and "Rance" but on it..

Haven't done my '73 yet...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I like Driftwood Johnson's dust cover idea.. :)

My Pietta 1860s are brown with laser engraved grips. I'd know them.

My yellow boy has two rear sight dovetails and a dog knot in the barrel. Yeah I'd recognize it.

Shotgun is just a shotgun. I'd have to shuffle around and may be find it.

Aftermarket grips are a good way to "personalize" your revolvers without permanently altering them.

A leather buttstock cover is functional on the rifle and also gives you a way to personalize your long gun. The stock cover on my rifle has my alias stamped on it. You could also use some sort of decorative design.

Don't be dissuaded from putting a lever wrap on your rifle. I like Ricochet Roy's "baseball stitch" lever wraps; he uses vegetable based tanning that supposedly eliminates the bad stuff that can cause a problem. His instructions tell you how to prepare your lever before installing the wrap.

My revolvers are stock and there are other folks in the clubs where I shoot who have identical guns. I've never been in a situation where they have gotten mixed up. When we are at the loading table we are standing with our guns; they are not in a big pile. Also, I prefer to holster my revolvers as soon as they are loaded and checked by the LTO.

I have 4 Ruger vaqueros as well, 2 44-40 7.25' bbl in Stainless w/Buffalo Horn GF Grips & 2 45 LC 3.5" bbl w/Black Birdshead Grips, Had grips on both engraved w/SASS logo on one side & life member logo on the other.

Charlie

My RNVs are pretty common, though they do have SBH hammers and the wrap around front sights from Slick.

Both my rifles (73 and Marlin) are pretty ordinary, as are both my shotguns, TTN and Bakal.

I keep saying that I am going to make some custom wood grips for my Rugers, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Most of my wife and my revolvers have custom laser engraving from Mogollon Drifter. It's nice work and far less expensive than custom metal engraving.

I just let everything I have...rust.

Figured that if someone wanted to steal a gun at a match, they'd never pick mine.

Oh, the insides are nice...but the outside looks like crap.

Cheers!

Phantom

I have brass mag tubes on my 73s also use 92 springs and followers.My pistols have grips with a pit bull on one side and a paw on the other.

My usual main match revolvers are Colts chambered for .38 Special (not .357 Magnum). That makes them fairly unusual to begin with. In addition, they sport one-piece ivory grips and and beveled cylinders, compliments of Alan Harton. Not saying they are totally unique, but I think you might have to search some to find another pair like them.

My other set of main match revolvers are SASS Colts in .44-40, with two-piece ivory grips and custom engraving. So, yes... I could spot them anywhere.

Regards, TJH

The forestock of my '66 was a high gloss and really slippery. I had the four suites (diamonds, clubs, hearts, diamonds) and a four leaf clover laser engraved to give me grip. My OM vaqueros have burl walnut grips from Outlaw Grips.

Barry Sloe

This is my WB rifle, Caliber 44WCF, half round/half octagon barrel. :) Shown with period glass - long ago removed.

DSC01198.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

Played around a bit with this scope set up, but never really developed a fancy for it..... <_<

I do not shoot matching OMVs. Cowboys in the old west would have had a working gun (like my blued C/C version) and a BBQ gun (Like my lightly engraved SSTL OMV). No two guns shoot just alike, even though a good smith can get them close. Having two distinct-looking guns helps me keep them identified. The SSTL version shoots POA at 15 yards with 200-grain .45s, but the blued version shoots 2-3" left at 15 yards. Not a lot of difference, but I know which gun is more accurate.

Mother of pearl grips. Am now trying to make abalone grips for my OM Ruger Bisleys

Careful, you know what Patton said about "Pearl handled revolvers"! :o

My Blackhawks have sported custom grips for over 10 years, but they are polymer and are getting long in the tooth, so I just changed them to black checkered plastic.

001-6.jpg

I added a custom made (Cherokee Charlie) butt cover so if I ever want to sell my rifle it isn't personalized to me. :wub:

003-7.jpg

007-2.jpg

I made that mistake early with a pair of Birds head Rugers. I didn't want to shoot them anymore, but no one wanted to buy them with my alias on them.

Birdsheadgrips.jpg

I have coins of the year model on most of my guns. Example; my '60 Colt has a '90 dime inletted into the grip. About the only thing I don't have a coin on is my Uberti Henry. 1860 trade dollars are just too expensive to use for that purpose.

Wow you sure got a lotta nice pix of guns.

About the lever wrap, I have some snap on lever wraps and

I just take em off for cleaning or storage.

And just a couple wraps can be used for any number of lever guns.

Ya know those little beads with letters on em?

Just get a couple of em with your initials and string them and

hang em from any convenient sling mount on rifle or shotgun.

There was a gunsmith, kaint remember his name, the engraved guns

with poker hands, dice and such. If you avoid your name/alias there

are lots of western engrave patterns that can make your guns unique

and still resellable.

If you would like some ideas go to ebay(I know supposed to be anti)

and search for Nichols stallion. Yes they are cap guns but lots of ideas.

I keep thinkin one day one of my RVs might look good .....

Best

CR

I sure did. Put my Vaquero cylinder in my ultrasonic cleaner to try and turned it white! Oops. I had Michigan Slim and the state of michigan lasered into both sides of my Winchester. Not going to do much more.

My Russian SxS shotgun has been "customized".......and it AIN'T pretty!

I put a 2 inch "plug" between the buttstock and the buttplate to compensate for my Orangutan long arms!

But......it's an "External modification"...........oh well!

Archived