SASS Wire Forum

Put my Lizzie girl down this morning.

This morning, I had my sweet little black & white French Brittany, Lizzie, put down. The vet along with his assistance came by the house this morning and performed the procedure of mercy. Lizzie was 13 years, 9 months.

Lizzie, wasn't the best bird dog in the world, but she was the best I ever had. She could clean a field of preserve quail. Not the most stylish on point but she was reliable. She had pointed and retrieved in addition to preserve game birds, wild pheasant, sharptail grouse, wild bobwhite and blue quail. She only made one false point and that was on a box turtle. I'm told box turtles smell like game birds.

As a family dog, Lizzie was the best. Sweet, sweet personality that always wanted to please. My wife said it best, "Lizzie was a pure joy and never a problem." We are going to miss our Lizzie.

I'll stop now. Getting too choked up. Just wanted to share.

Thanks for listening.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/John946/Dogs/Field7a.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/John946/Dogs/PIC20.jpg

Hard thing to do, even when we know it's the right thing.

When I opened the first photo I was shocked - if our last two dogs, one a flat coated retriever and the other a border collie/retriever/and a touch of Dane cross, had gotten married and had a dog, it would have looked a lot like your Lizzie.

Birdgun, I am so very sorry for the loss of your friend. Putting a friend to rest is so very hard. I know because I have a lot of friends awaiting me at the Rainbow Bridge. Captain Jack is getting along in years and both my wife and myself are dreading that day. But I am committed to what ever is good for him. But it does hurt.

BQ, you have my heartfelt sympathies. I've shared my life with two Brits, and finer companions would be hard to find anywhere.

Relish the memories of your time together.

Putting a beloved dog down is very hard to do, but having them live on in misery is not an option. Hang in ther BGQ.

That stinks pard. I know, done that more times than I care to remember. :( You'd think old dogs would have the consideration to turn their toes up and die and not put us through that, but too often that isn't the case.

Bottles, pull a sasparilla for Quail. Make it a double.

JHC

http://allpoetry.com/poem/8445229-The_Power_of_the_Dog-by-Rudyard_Kipling

LORD GOD, you know the pain that BGQ is experiencing, I would plead with you to send your Comforter to him and his family, touch their hearts and cover them with the peace that passesth ALL understanding, I ask this is Jesus precious holy name, amen and amen

Birdgun! I've been out all day and just got the word. I'm very sorry for your loss and know you will miss her.

I always tell folks when they lose their four legged partners that they'll remember the fun and the joy long after the pain has passed. I promise you it will pass!

I'm like Will Rodgers. If there ain't no dogs in heaven, I want to go where the dogs are.

Hang in there Tweety ol' friend. I'm thinkin' about ya'!

Birdgun, your beloved Lizzie Girl provided you with love and devotion for many years. Remember her, honor her memory and be rest assured that you provided her with the best life that a dog could live. Remember the good times, bad times and dog being goofy times......they'll help you through.

With my deepest sympathies.

CS

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing, they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent, his eager body quivers, suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together…

Author unknown

Birdgun Q... Nothing can fill the empty space in your house tongiht. It is almost a year to the day that I put my best firned Coco the Wonder Poodle to sllep. He hiked to the top of Mt Hood / Mt wheeler and several other peaks with me, he was the special as your dog was to you. I pray the Lord will fill your missing space with joyful memories of your Lizzie. This is a thought that has made me happy over this last year... Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short. --Your faithful dog. I am going out now to the field where our dogs and cats are laid to rest, facing east to see the rising sun and great the new days. I will sit on Coco's grave and say a prayer for your family and your loss of Lizzie

To all of my friends here, thank you for your kind and comforting words. You truly are a help in this time of grieving.

As y'all know, it doesn't get any easier that Lizzie wasn't the first beloved dog we've had to put down. In fact, I think it gets harder the older we get. But, time will heal. And I do have so many good and cherished memories of a wonderful dog. My wife and I were blessed to have had our sweet Lizzie.

God bless you all.

And, thank you again.

Birdgun

Birdgun

Lizzie had a very sweet face.

It is a shared experience to have to put down a pet that is so dear to us.

My wife still weeps for a pet we had to put down 4 years ago.

My heartfelt condolences.

Waimea

:FlagAm:/>

I am sorry for your loss

I always hate losing pet critters, but those I have been able to chase the birds with hurt the worse... and of those, losing my brittanies hurt even more so.

Relish the memories.

Cowboy Small

Howdy Birdgun, Sorry for your loss of Lizzie, I know it's tough to have to put down a member of the family. But just think that she'll be waiting for you up above to go hunting again. My condolences

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I got an e-mail from a buddy and I'd like to share his words.

"I feel for you about Lizzie. But it goes with being a responsible and caring animal owner. Ultimately, the last gift we can give them
for their love and service is a graceful and painless exit."

Words well said.

Again, thank you my friends.

Birdgun

Archived