SASS Wire Forum

Costume question (Let's beat this horse some more)

Since there was a lot of grumbling going on at EOT about this costume, let's test your knowledge of the costume rules.  Is this legal? Please give the reasoning for your opinion. (The competitor being ugly as sin isn't a reason for legal or illegal.)

Mongo.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Yes. Sleeves not required, but if present can’t be short or rolled up and attached in the case of long sleeves.

IMG_1033.jpeg

Yer bigger than me, so yes it’s legal:P.

• Haha 5

Just don't fall down and make my posse wait for an hour and a half to cart your big as off. Especially, in the rain. Was that 2016?

• Haha 5

It's a  vest, I have inside information.    

I think the costume looks great - but the rest of it not so much :lol:

Hells Comin 

Edited by Hells Comin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Technically doesn’t work in BW or CC but otherwise it's fantastic! :D

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Yer bigger than me, so yes it’s legal:P.

He aint that big - and I know for a fact he can't run.

And he's ugly.

And...

And...

And...

But the costume is legal.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

It’s Mongo:) 

Don’t see anything wrong with it except he ain’t got no guns:wacko:

My first thought...!  SB

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

Just don't fall down and make my posse wait for an hour and a half to cart your big as off. Especially, in the rain. Was that 2016?

2014  Exactly four weeks before my wedding. Bride to be was shopping for tuxedo shorts that very evening. :lol:

• Haha 4

Stuff not allowed:

- Modern shooting gloves - Short sleeve shirts (male competitors only) - Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors. (Long sleeve Henley type shirts with buttons are acceptable.) - Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys) Straw hats of traditional design are acceptable (e.g., Stetson, Baily, Sombreros, etc.) - Designer jeans are not allowed. Designer jeans include modern jeans that have slogans or logos embroidered, silk screened, and such, saying things like “PINK” or “BABY.” Jeans with fancy or flashy adornments are acceptable. - Ball caps. - All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed. - Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accoutrements. - The displaying of any manufacturer’s, sponsor’s, or team logos on apparel. (Manufacturer’s labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yes. Sleeves not required, but if present can’t be short or rolled up and attached in the case of long sleeves.

IMG_1033.jpeg

it's been ruled that this is a vest and not a short sleeve shirt, as it has no sleeves.

• Like 1

When I saw the pic in Yul's thread I immediately wondered how much guff you were going to get for that.

We have one on this end of the country that wears bibbed overhauls only, legs rolled up and barefoot.  AFAIK nobody's ever grumbled about his git-up.

• Like 2

Short sleeve shirts prohibited, but no requirement for a shirt at all. And that is a vest because it has no sleeves, even if it was made from a shirt. Even if it was made from a short-sleeve shirt.

Frankly, I'm surprised but must side with legal costume.

I find only one possible restriction in the rules, all clothing must be "typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series." I am not qualified to say this vest does not comply with those restrictions.

11 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

When I saw the pic in Yul's thread I immediately wondered how much guff you were going to get for that.

We have one on this end of the country that wears bibbed overhauls only, legs rolled up and barefoot.  AFAIK nobody's ever grumbled about his git-up.

And he not shod no matter if there's snow on the ground, hot pavement, thousands of spent brass on the ground or a wood boardwalk full of splinters and exposed nails...but...has No One ever knocked out a horse with one punch?

I thought not...Bull's costume is legal.

• Like 1

I think it's great costuming. All I need is an official ruling so I can cut the sleeves off a couple of my shirts for summer shooting. Just don't expect me to stand next to Mongo though. It would be like the before and after pic for a gym ad. Lol

• Haha 2

I reckon it's good to go, see nothing wrong with your top 'Bull, heck I wear a singlet [ your tank top  ] most of the time, in fact as an indian I can wear a loin cloth only  if I want ...but I ain't gunna !!.. I have gone bare chested before.

1306.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mister Badly said:

I think it's great costuming. All I need is an official ruling so I can cut the sleeves off a couple of my shirts for summer shooting. Just don't expect me to stand next to Mongo though. It would be like the before and after pic for a gym ad. Lol

FYI...The "official ruling" was made in 2012 by applying THIS definition:

VEST, n.
1. A sleeveless garment, often having buttons down the front, worn usually over a shirt or blouse and sometimes as part of a three-piece suit.
2. A waist-length, sleeveless garment worn for protection: a warm down vest; a bulletproof vest.

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Stump Water said:

Half a Hand Henri had shoes on at this years EOT, I’d never seen her wear shoes to a match before. I asked why she was wearing them and I believe it was a category requirement, I can’t remember.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Half a Hand Henri had shoes on at this years EOT, I’d never seen her wear shoes to a match before. I asked why she was wearing them and I believe it was a category requirement, I can’t remember.

She was 1st place "Classic Cowgirl"...a category that requires "period lace up shoes" or boots. (REF: SHB p.8)

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
edit txt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

She was 1st place "Classic Cowgirl"...a category that requires "period lace up shoes" or boots. (REF: SHB p.8)

Yep, that was it, thank you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

FYI...The "official ruling" was made in 2012 by applying THIS definition:

image.jpeg

Well played PWB. THAT is a very dead horse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Well, it would be a good bet that some of Gunzilla's outfits at EOT didn't meet the rules, but he got to shoot because, as they say, this is entertainment!  I would say the same for Mongo even if he didn't meet the rules.

• Thanks 1