SASS Wire Forum

For those who carry CCW...

Texas Lizard

My recommendation is to use them if you can, they offer certain advantages in some situations.  On the other

hand, I've been through half a dozen versions and styles from several companies and manage to break them

all over time.

I have no lasers anymore, but am trying to learn to use a red dot.

I know a few folks who really like lasers, and they seem to hold up for them.

SC

I’ve seen shooters at the range with them. The slightest movement with the hands or body makes that dot squiggle and bounce all over the place. The longer the distance, the worse it gets. I found it really distracting and wonder how useful it really is in a high stress situation. 

I found had a new appreciation for why cats go bonkers with them. 

I don't. I don't have a red dot either. As far as I'm concerned they're just something else that can go wrong when everything ELSE is going wrong. Abilene Slim is right too. That dot bounces all over the target. I think that I would find it more distracting than anything else. 

Train with your iron sights. If you train enough, you won't have to think about it, you'll just handle it.

I'll add a further comment - the laser dot is not for use in day light when you can use your sights, it's for night time or at really at close quarters when you may not be able to use your sights.  When the mugger jumps you at the ATM or you get pushed to the ground and can't get full mobility, putting the red dot in the middle of your adversary goes a long way to getting you fairly good shots in a fast unfolding situation. I've watched many shooters using lasers as pointers and they can rip shots to center mass from the hip at really fast speeds, without bringing the gun up higher than hip height.

It is a useful tactical tool, and like a flashlight, once you know how to use it it can make a definite advantage.

SC

Most people train incorrectly with laser sights.

They are NOT for fine shot placement - they are for shooting when you CANNOT achieve a traditional sight picture BUT it is still important to understand where you round is going.

Think of lasers for point shooting without spending years becoming competent at point shooting.

Awkward angles, hip shots, etc.

They are not a crutch for bad shooting or to skip training - they are simply a tool that under certain conditions or circumstances MAY better your chances of survival.

I am a firm believer in lasers - especially passive grip internal lasers that activate simply with proper firearm handling.

They are not a substitute for your sights - but another option when or if your sights are inaccessible or unavailable.

And if the choice you make does not materially alter the grip dimensions, size or general shape - any failure to operate simply returns you back into the same position you would be without them in the first place i.e. using your open sights if possible.

Iron sights only.  Fixed sights on most of them.  The ones that come with night sights stay as is until the sight fades out (usually about 8-10 years), then I replace them with fiber optic front sights.

Never saw a need for laser sight, but I have seen plenty of need for more practice with the sights that come on the gun. 

For CCW NO! I have a red dot on my 10/22 rifle for .22 shoots but that's the only one. 

8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’ve seen shooters at the range with them. The slightest movement with the hands or body makes that dot squiggle and bounce all over the place. The longer the distance, the worse it gets. I found it really distracting and wonder how useful it really is in a high stress situation.  

I see that every time I do RO duty at the range. They usually say something like "It's hard to keep the laser on target". I always reply "It's not like what you see in the movies, is it."

PLUS ONE for Dantankerous and Ozark Huckleberry.

Most Gunfights and Defense situations take place at less than 6 feet.  Usually so quick, it's point and shoot. 

9 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I don't. I don't have a red dot either. As far as I'm concerned they're just something else that can go wrong when everything ELSE is going wrong. Abilene Slim is right too. That dot bounces all over the target. I think that I would find it more distracting than anything else. 

Train with your iron sights. If you train enough, you won't have to think about it, you'll just handle it.

This is why you Co witness your sights with red dot .

As far as lasers In a fire fight you will have zero use for them point and click most of time you arent even using sights .

I like them, great dry fire training tool. At 5/10 yards I can shoot from the hip and get all my shots on target. However I have a crimson trace on my 642 if I lay it down to hard it will dislodge the battery, every night after I lay it down and in the morning I'd check it to see if it still worked. If not I'd have to take the grips off and reset the battery. Another tool in the tool box.

Crimson Trace makes probably the best. Robust and reliable. That said, while lasers can be useful, I prefer tritium night sights. The CT lasergrips don’t get in the way and come on automatically so if you feel you want/need a laser I would go with those.

My carry piece is at the gunsmith's getting Novak tritium sights put on.  Not looking for precision as much as I'm looking for a three point reference at not more than 60 feet in my house after dark or on a dark street or parking lot after sundown

I consider any acessory that adds benefit without affecting function as a good thing.  

A set of Crimson Trace grips that do not alter the firearms function, feel, use or holster fit - do not require a learning curve or modification of training.

They are a GOOD THING.

The only variables are individual desire for the add on and the cost/ affordability - and that equation is different for everyone.

A set of Tritium Sights that do not alter the firearms function, feel, use or holster fit - do not require a learning curve or modification of training.

They are a GOOD THING.

The only variables are individual desire for the add on and the cost/ affordability - and that equation is different for everyone.

The same can be said for Fiber Optics, Figure 8's and many other sighting systems.

For my latest carry gun I have added a red dot reflex sight that I can co witness with my iron sights. 

And those iron sights will be swapped out with Tritium or at minimum fiber optics.

I will be switching the reflex out for a GREEN dot system; but I still like the added option that the reflex sights offer.

If I find an unobtrusive grip activated laser - I will consider adding that.

If I were to discover an unobtrusive light that works with my chosen holster - I will consider that.

I understand that these add ons will not appeal to everyone - but as long as they do not affect function and in the event of total failure (batteries, switches, etc.); my pistol still operates as designed (meaning my basic open sights are still present).

Other than cost; I see no downside and many upsides.

And if I am ever forced to utilize my carry gun to defend myself, my loved ones or any of you - I want EVERY POSSIBLE advantage.

8 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Not to disagree Forty Rod or Lawman mark, but I don't think much of Tritium type sights. I've always figured that if it's too dark to see my sights, it's probably too dark to see my target. But I'm willing to discuss it.

My house is never totally dark and most parking lots have some lighting.  My old eyes can't see the iron sights on my guns in low light any more, but I can see a figure in the darkness.  I just need to know my sights are centered on the bad guy especially if he / she / it is moving.

3 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

And could be too dark to reliably ID it, as well.

Inside my house it will be  a target.  Just me and the dog, anything else probably doesn't belong there after bed time.

A parking lot is a different ball game and I avoid after sundown excursions when I can.  When I can't, I park as near a lighted door as possible and take the time to check the entire area.

At 82 I'm not new at this game and it's taken me a year or so to check out all my options.

I have a laser/light combo on my M9.  I tried a red dot but it seemed to slow me down and I decided that any distance I could claim was defensive for a pistol my point and shoot without sights is very good.  I have a bore laser that is set off by firing pin and shows where I was aimed.  Pick things in the big room and hit them without sights just fine.  I do like tritium sights.  KISS (keep it simple stupid).  Besides I've seen you guys shoot SA Revolvers at defensive distances, you are well practiced.

Step 1 is what Forty Rod says.  One of the YOUTUBERS says 'don't go stupid places, at stupid times, with stupid people and do stupid things'.  Like I told an older lady yesterday, if you have to go out, do it before dark, park where the cameras are but maybe away from the parked cars a bit.  Not near vans and not beside cars with people in them.  If robbed give them your purse and walk away quickly, not worth it.  She said 'my gun is in my purse, I'm not giving it to them'.  I said 'OK, make sure you have times to give them the small disposable parts of the gun.  Reality is you are making a quick decision if they want just your or are they going to hurt you.  If they just want your $ give it to them and do not use your equalizer.  I just don't think the lawyers, court etc is worth $100.  Suppose I should carry $100 just in case :D

I wanted a laser grip for my S&W 442 J frame. A friend of mine had one and was showing me how it worked. I aimed it at a mirror. I wanted to see what the bad guy saw. The laser at the source - the gun in my hand - was a beacon for a bad guy to take aim on, in my opinion. My desire for a laser ended right then and there.

Night Sights - I like them. Why? They still work well in low or partial light. My favorites are fiber optic tritium night sights. 

image.thumb.jpeg.066d1a7c0709255310cf7aeda66ab64b.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

I wanted a laser grip for my S&W 442 J frame. A friend of mine had one and was showing me how it worked. I aimed it at a mirror. I wanted to see what the bad guy saw. The laser at the source - the gun in my hand - was a beacon for a bad guy to take aim on, in my opinion. My desire for a laser ended right then and there.

Night Sights - I like them. Why? They still work well in low or partial light. My favorites are fiber optic tritium night sights. 

See, Pat's pictures show exactly what I was referring to in my earlier post. If you have enough light to see your target, you can see the sights. If you CAN'T see the sights, you can't see the target. And if you have a light, the sights are silhouetted and you can see them. Even if your light is handheld, you can see what you need to. 

Now I can certainly see a use for Fiber Optic sights, they seem to light up even in subdued light, but you STILL have to be able to see your target.

Red dots for bullseye and iron sights for carry. KiSS when your life depends on it

I have at least one auto on/off night lights in all the rooms of my house.  If someone is in a room, I can at least see there is a body in the room.

With tritium sights I can put them on my possible target in my house at night.

Had a lot of older customers whose eyes just couldn't focus on standard sights.  They could at least see the laser dot on a target.  Always told them since is their personal defense handgun, whether in house, vehicle, purse, pocket, etc., they should always test the batteries at least once a week.   Laser isn't going to help them if batteries are dead.

I picked up a couple of Crimson Trace that were donated to a Wolf Rescue store.Don't need em & don't have pistols they will fit..;)

Largo

5 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

I have at least one auto on/off night lights in all the rooms of my house.  If someone is in a room, I can at least see there is a body in the room.

With tritium sights I can put them on my possible target in my house at night.

Had a lot of older customers whose eyes just couldn't focus on standard sights.  They could at least see the laser dot on a target.  Always told them since is their personal defense handgun, whether in house, vehicle, purse, pocket, etc., they should always test the batteries at least once a week.   Laser isn't going to help them if batteries are dead.

Night lights for sure, night sights over dot for me.

I used one of the original Crimson trace for years on my J-frame. It finally wore out and learned that model wasn’t made any more. 

I ordered its “newer” version, which lasted less than a year. They replaced it under warranty and the second lasted about as long. 

My current grips are from Hogue. Very comfortable and concealable, with no laser to fail. I practice regularly and aiming is as second nature as pointing a finger. 

No matter what you decide, practice with it a lot. 

When it comes to self defense with a handgun, I don't care who you believe, or who you take classes with, they ALL say the same thing.  

PRACTICE, PRATICE, PRATICE, PRATICE.

It may someday save you or your families lives.

Personally, I have a handgun on my night stand, but, I have a Rem.870 12ga Tactical within hands reach, and that will be my go to in my house.

S*** hits the fan in my house, and I put some 12ga pellets in the wall, if I stopped the bad guy or guys, don't care, I can afford to fix the walls.

Archived