SASS Wire Forum

Name Something you would find

Item #4 is missing or is it just hidden?

Richard,  I’ll say a very well maintained, reliable, accurate rifle of the vintage for which he (or she) served. 

Letters saved from loved ones while deployed.

I am not a veteran, but my father served in the Army. The only thing I can think of is....

A split thumbnail. 

It's hard to paint with a broad brush.  Almost all the male friends of my parents were veterans of WWII or Korea. Some had memorabilia displayed.  Some had it, but didn't display it.  Some, other than discharge papers and maybe dog tags, had nothing to remind them.

Not all had guns, some were pacifists who didn't see a need for citizens to own guns.  A few joined in the anti-war protests of the late '60s.

27 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It's hard to paint with a broad brush.  Almost all the male friends of my parents were veterans of WWII or Korea. Some had memorabilia displayed.  Some had it, but didn't display it.  Some, other than discharge papers and maybe dog tags, had nothing to remind them.

Not all had guns, some were pacifists who didn't see a need for citizens to own guns.  A few joined in the anti-war protests of the late '60s.

Daddy did 20 years in the Navy. Enlisted before World War II, got out after Korea. Pretty dang sure he would be qualified as a veteran.

Didn't have a p38. I never heard of a p38 till I was in my late teens. Didn't have anything flag related. Didn't have a rifle.

He had his uniforms. He had a large framed certificate from when he became a polar bear (never went South far enough to be a shellback). Had a Zippo from every ship he was ever on.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Item #4 is missing or is it just hidden?

Richard,  I’ll say a very well maintained, reliable, accurate rifle of the vintage for which he (or she) served. 

Just Hidden Sir I saw the same thing

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

At least one thing with the branch the veteran served in displayed.

Well that is 2 branches for me .

45 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Daddy did 20 years in the Navy. Enlisted before World War II, got out after Korea. Pretty dang sure he would be qualified as a veteran.

Didn't have a p38. I never heard of a p38 till I was in my late teens. Didn't have anything flag related. Didn't have a rifle.

He had his uniforms. He had a large framed certificate from when he became a polar bear (never went South far enough to be a shellback). Had a Zippo from every ship he was ever on.

Besides the Flag outside (which Heavy red state so not uncommon) 
  There is Zero in my house out in visible areas that would give any clue to that I spent 17 years active duty . Now go into the Pelican cases that I have 4 of each packed per  region  of deployment . Ammo room well stocked , Night Vision and well gun safes with various types . but open to public eye zero .

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

P38 was for c-rations. I don’t expect that the navy used crats. Did they?  As for a rifle, many navy never had small arms training. The navy tried to correct that after the Cole disaster.

My dad's DD214.  Certificate from President Ronald Reagan honoring the memory of my dad for his service in the armed forces of the United States.  Picture of my Ft. Leonard Wood basic training platoon.  US Army signs & plaques.

11 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

P38 was for c-rations. I don’t expect that the navy used crats. Did they?  As for a rifle, many navy never had small arms training. The navy tried to correct that after the Cole disaster.

I would expect that the crew members of riverine patrol  boats ate C-rats when cruising the rivers of the RVN.

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

Dog tags

I had my dad's dog tags with the old rotten rubber silencers from WWII. I gave them to my sister with the flag that covered his casket when he passed. She has since passed too, not sure where they wound up, but they belong to her family now.

JHC

On 7/14/2023 at 4:06 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

A Bible.

..........Widder

Uhmmm... :unsure: There might be one here? If I look hard enough, maybe.

On 7/14/2023 at 4:22 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

DD 214

You would be astonished at the number of veterans who come to my office who don't have their DD 214, and don't remember where they last put it. It often makes my job much, much harder, and can mean a serious delay in getting them benefits.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:45 PM, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Well that is 2 branches for me .
There is Zero in my house out in visible areas that would give any clue to that I spent 17 years active duty . 

I should have been more clear in my original post. Not necessarily an item displayed with the branch of service on it. But items within the home somewhere, that have the branch mentioned on it.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:23 PM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Their Dress Uniform, hanging in the closet.

(Daddy had his Army, and Shanley has his Dress Blues)

I don't have my old Army Green Class A uniform. I never liked the uniform, so didn't keep it. If I had retired about three months later than I did, I would have been issued the Army Service Uniform, which was moderately better, other than the fact that it seemed designed by committee. I definitely like the now (old?) Army Green Service Uniform that harkens back to the dress uniforms of WWII. I do have a few pairs of BDUs, as well as ACUs, and somewhere an old "Chocolate Chip" Desert BDU I was issued during Desert Shield.

Oh, and I almost forgot the obvious answer. A VA Decision Letter.

I occasionally saw a picture of my dad in his USAAC uniform.  He had his wing insignia in a top middle drawer in his chest of drawers where he kept his cigarettes.

I never saw anything to indicate his USAF service except his dress uniform hat in the top of his closet.

He didn’t talk much about his combat experience. I didn’t ask.

On 7/18/2023 at 4:06 PM, DocWard said:

Uhmmm... :unsure: There might be one here? If I look hard enough, maybe.

You would be astonished at the number of veterans who come to my office who don't have their DD 214, and don't remember where they last put it. It often makes my job much, much harder, and can mean a serious delay in getting them benefits.

I should have been more clear in my original post. Not necessarily an item displayed with the branch of service on it. But items within the home somewhere, that have the branch mentioned on it.

I don't have my old Army Green Class A uniform. I never liked the uniform, so didn't keep it. If I had retired about three months later than I did, I would have been issued the Army Service Uniform, which was moderately better, other than the fact that it seemed designed by committee. I definitely like the now (old?) Army Green Service Uniform that harkens back to the dress uniforms of WWII. I do have a few pairs of BDUs, as well as ACUs, and somewhere an old "Chocolate Chip" Desert BDU I was issued during Desert Shield.

Oh, and I almost forgot the obvious answer. A VA Decision Letter.

Dad's was Korean era Army.

On 7/14/2023 at 1:22 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

DD 214

I carry a copy in my wallet. And my dog tags on my key chain

For my Dad, WW II vet - stripper or enbloc clips for .30-06.   Even without the rifle they fed.

A strong desire to be called something not commonly encountered in service - Mister.

Archived