SASS Wire Forum

Penetrating Oil

Buckshot Bob

The ATF/Acetone mix works well, BUT it is much more flammable than the others.

Kroil and PB Blaster finish in that order behind the home brew.

I keep my home brew in a glass container and only use it for extreme problems. The acetone will eat through some plastics and most rusted fasteners don’t require it.

None of these products work well without patience!  

Sometimes, judicious application of the “blue tip wrench” is required as well.

I've never tried the ATF/Ace mixture, BUT.....  I use a 50/50 mix of Kroil and WD40 with good results.

I use it on hard to remove screws and I use it for cleaning my guns.  I don't use it as a lubricant.

..........Widder

ATF +acetone; fondly called “Ed’s Red” for years.  The two liquids separate, leading to other ingredients like kerosene, mineral spirits, and lanolin showing up occasionally to help everything get along together.  Formulas abound on the internet.

All versions seem to work just dandy.

WD-40 incites rust.  Learned that the hard way.  Cut an empty can in two and you will find it rusted inside.  Great for breaking loose rusted parts but must be removed after.

Thanks @Buckshot Bear

I did not realize this ATF / Acetone mix actually worked that well. That’s good to know. I had a neighbor tell me about this mix and the guy was generally full of BS so I just let it go. Apparently he actually did know something. Whoda thunk it? :lol:

21 minutes ago, bgavin said:

WD-40 incites rust.  Learned that the hard way.  Cut an empty can in two and you will find it rusted inside.  Great for breaking loose rusted parts but must be removed after.

I've always thought that WD-40 pretty much sucks at everything except Water Displacement, mainly with distributor cap and rotor.

Guess what WD stands for.

35 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Which ATF? Makes a difference.

one formula from first reference I found:

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

 1 part Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
 1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1 (such as for burning in heaters)
 1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (Varsol)
 1 part Acetone
 (Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

Howdy.

CRC556 is darn good.

Apply penetrant then tap nut or bolt or whatever.

Wait a while.

Apply penetrant again.

Give it a try.

WAit more.

I hardly ever broke a non british bolt.

Brit cars are made with a special low grade metal.

A one inch rear axle shaft was broken by the massive 948 cc engine of my MG.

After all it had about 50000 miles on it.

I had one lunkhead mechanic break a lug on my Camaro.

He said it is so old thats to be expected. 

Never happend to me. Before or after.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

 1 part Acetone
 (Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

Man, that has to smell just wonderful. :lol:

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

 1 part Acetone

do not use near any ignition source. WATER HEATER, ELECTRIC MOTOR MAD WIFE. Fire Hazard, but man this works great.

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I tend to use DextronIII for the atf mix 

I have wondered about mixing up a batch with Royal Purple ATF  , just for grins and giggles 

does a fine job , BUT the fumes , give me a killer headache 

CB 

Purple power penetrating oil , you just need a marketing campaign 

I use a similar mixture for penetrating oil. I mis Dexron ATF, kerosene and Mineral Spirits. I don’t like to add acetone because it eats things. And can harm bluing on guns. 

for the gun room, I add some Hoppes #9.  Makes it smell real good!

Sam Sackett 

If any of you played a musical instrument with valves (trumpet, cornet, tuba, baritone, french horn, etc) the valve lubricant you carried in your case was deodorized kerosene.

Off topic factoid.

On 2/26/2023 at 1:43 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Sometimes, judicious application of the “blue tip wrench” is required as well.

Hard to be stuck if it's liquid!

:)

45 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Hard to be stuck if it's liquid!

:)

Been known to burn a bolt out a time or two, but generally, a proper application of heat will get a seized nut or bolt loose when everything else fails.

I HAVE soaked a rusty fastener with one or another of the liquids and come back the next day with a torch when the solvents didn’t work.  The combination worked when I doubt that either would have on its own.

I have found that with the proper penetrant and the judicious verbalization of colorful epithets many tough hardware issues can be solved. 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:21 PM, Cypress Sun said:

I've always thought that WD-40 pretty much sucks at everything except Water Displacement, mainly with distributor cap and rotor.

Guess what WD stands for.

Not everything.  A quick spray of WD40 on a tuna trolling jig does wonders to cure short strikes,  for some reason-- probably the fish oil it contains.  I've never tried it on other fishing lures, but I bet it would improve them.  

WD40 also will help remove most paint from your skin and remove pitch, paint or bubble gum from your hair.

You can also spray a little on dry concrete or tar splattered on a vehicle, then come back the next day and wipe it off with a wet rag.  

But as a penetrating lube, I agree it is way down the list.   

You are correct that it is formulated as a water displacer and using it for lubrication is really a misuse. 

43 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Not everything.  A quick spray of WD40 on a tuna trolling jig does wonders to cure short strikes,  for some reason-- probably the fish oil it contains.  I've never tried it on other fishing lures, but I bet it would improve them.  

WD40 also will help remove most paint from your skin and remove pitch, paint or bubble gum from your hair.

You can also spray a little on dry concrete or tar splattered on a vehicle, then come back the next day and wipe it off with a wet rag.  

But as a penetrating lube, I agree it is way down the list.   

You are correct that it is formulated as a water displacer and using it for lubrication is really a misuse. 

See it you can find the video of inflating tires with WD 40 and a flame.   Worth a look!  I'd need to be in a bad spot to try it.

Starting fluid works better.

Stuck bolt: fire and touch it with a candle. The heat melts the wax and draws it into the voids lubricating it

I have used ATF and diesel, it doesn’t evaporate like acetone.  Seems to work well but does take time.  I since inherited a bottle of Kroil so I won’t be mixing any more home brew for a while. 

If ATF/acetone works so much better, why is nobody marketing it?

Everything has some homemade concoction that works better than anything in the store, whether it be penetrant, stain remover, drain cleaner, paint remover, gas additive - whatever, but nobody ever thinks to market "the good stuff" for some reason. :mellow:

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

If ATF/acetone works so much better, why is nobody marketing it?

Everything has some homemade concoction that works better than anything in the store, whether it be penetrant, stain remover, drain cleaner, paint remover, gas additive - whatever, but nobody ever thinks to market "the good stuff" for some reason. :mellow:

It probably causes cancer in CA :) 

I can honestly say I feel that way about gun care products. For the private individual you use so little you really aren’t saving much going with a tube of automotive grease and 30 weight oil. But if it works for you, keep on keeping on. 
In this case I would imagine it would be because acetone just causes damage to so many things that might be in the area this could be used. Someone mentioned ED’s red was close to this concoction and I’ve heard people complain of it damaging stock finishes and painted finishes. Most gun cleaners/oils don’t or at least have a warning of the potential. 
I used Kroil and some heat in the past successfully many times but when I saw this statement where it took 1/2 the ft lbs of Kroil I had to ask.

Archived