SASS Wire Forum

Mmmmm Doughnuts

Okiepan

Plain cake for dunking in coffee and for eating with hot apple cider in October in Livonia, MI

Glazed Bavarian, (custard) cream!

Raspberry filled glazed!

Big ol’ fruity apple or cherry fritters!

Hard to say, glazed , jelly, chocolate cream, powdered, maple cream, plain, bear claws........come to think of it I don't think there's one I DON'T like!!:lol:

Less than 5 minutes old, fresh and chocolate covered wins the prize for me.

I much prefer yeast donuts to cake donuts.

And while plain white glazed is good, chocolate coated is so much better.

Spudnuts are real good. So of course they closed the one here in town.

1) Old fashioned,  plain. 

2) Old fashioned,  chocolate 

3) Crullers, chocolate 

4) Blueberry 

Although there is a lot to be said for a sack of doughnut gems, cinnamon and powdered sugar or the coconut crunch (?) and a big glass of ice cold milk.

Hot Krispy Kremes. 

I want them just cool enough for the glaze to have hardened.

Blackberry JJ's Fruit Pies run a close second.  https://www.jjsbakery.net/products/pies/

It's a fritter with real blackberry filling.  The local filling station carries the Blackberry ones and I buy them 3 at a time (but force myself to only eat them one at a time) when I go in to fill up.  That and a cup of coffee makes a passable breakfast.

Fresh Krispy Kreme doughnuts are my favorite!

I like apple fritters, too.

Cat Brules

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Less than 5 minutes old, fresh and chocolate covered wins the prize for me.

“Less than 5 minutes old” every donut is “the best” donut. :D

8 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Hot Krispy Kremes. 

I want them just cool enough for the glaze to have hardened.

Blackberry JJ's Fruit Pies run a close second.  https://www.jjsbakery.net/products/pies/

It's a fritter with real blackberry filling.  The local filling station carries the Blackberry ones and I buy them 3 at a time (but force myself to only eat them one at a time) when I go in to fill up.  That and a cup of coffee makes a passable breakfast.

nasty

Peterson’s bacon maple bar.

376BF5D7-A350-436A-B794-1418D13AA055.jpeg

Kringle

Kringle.jpg

Any doughnut that ain't chocolate.

My favorite Doughnuts......ALL OF THEM!!!!

I never actually met a donut that I didn't like. That said, I prefer WARM,  FRESH GLAZED DONUTS, WITH FRESH COFFEE.  But then there are all of those Jelly and custard filled, Apple Fritters, Danish.  I guess I LIKE 'EM ALL. 

Maybe I was a police officer in an earlier life. 

Back when dirt was young (and so was I!) I was a working medic in Cambridge, Ohio.

On the Sunday after payday we took turns buying a big box of assorted doughnuts for the station.

We'd take the high top Cadillac ambulance up to Kennedy's Bakery on Wheeling Avenue (the main drag through town) and bring back still-warm, wonderfully fragrant Sunday morning delectables.

When I moved to Glouster's paramedic station in Athens County, Grubbs Bakery was every bit as good, then he retired and sold off, alas!

My cousin grew up in Cambridge and we met at Kennedy's Bakery last Saturday.

Every bit as good as I remember!

When I was a young'n, we had a local bakery not too far away from my parents house called Steinecs. Their cream sticks were superb! I still have a thing for chocolate iced cream sticks. Although a good fresh glazed or an apple fritter will get my nod, too:rolleyes::blink::blush:

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I :wub: apple fritters too. However, they are fritters not doughnuts.

....with black coffee!

Howdy,

Not a donut but cherry piastre was a daily temptation on my morning

paper route.  I couldnt afford to get em too often. They cost six cents.

Hot outta the bakery oven.

Best

CR

15 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

When I was a young'n, we had a local bakery not too far away from my parents house called Steinecs. Their cream sticks were superb! I still have a thing for chocolate iced cream sticks. Although a good fresh glazed or an apple fritter will get my nod, too:rolleyes::blink::blush:

My current favorite, though not from that bakery!

When my stepdaughter was going through chemo, it ruined her sense of taste.

Last I was down to visit, Thanksgiving some years back, nothing at all tasted good to her.
Nothing.

I'd stopped at the aforementioned Kennedy's Bakery and gotten a dozen chocolate iced cream stick doughnuts.

Turns out those tasted good to her, so she was able to partake of the Thanksgiving feast with us!

Doughnuts to the Rescue!

Thought this might be appropriate ..............

The earliest origins to the modern doughnuts are generally traced back to the olykoek ("oil(y) cake") Dutch settlers brought with them to early New York (or New Amsterdam). These doughnuts closely resembled later ones but did not yet have their current ring shape.[6][7][8] One of the earliest mentions of "doughnut" was in Washington Irving's 1809 book A History of New York, from the Beginning of the World to the End of the Dutch Dynasty:[9]

Sometimes the table was graced with immense apple-pies, or saucers full of preserved peaches and pears; but it was always sure to boast of an enormous dish of balls of sweetened dough, fried in hog’s fat, and called dough-nuts, or oly koeks: a delicious kind of cake, at present scarce known in this city, excepting in genuine Dutch families.

The name oly koeks was almost certainly related to the oliekoek: a Dutch delicacy of "sweetened cake fried in fat."[10]

According to anthropologist Paul R. Mullins, the first cookbook mentioning doughnuts was an 1803 English volume which included doughnuts in an appendix of American recipes. He also traces its origins to the oliekoek that arrived in America with the Dutch settlers in the early 18th century. By the mid-19th century, the doughnut looked and tasted like today's doughnut, and was viewed as a thoroughly American food.[7]

Hanson Gregory, an American, claimed to have invented the ring-shaped doughnut in 1847 aboard a lime-trading ship when he was 16 years old. Gregory was dissatisfied with the greasiness of doughnuts twisted into various shapes and with the raw center of regular doughnuts. He claimed to have punched a hole in the center of dough with the ship's tin pepper box, and to have later taught the technique to his mother.[11] Smithsonian Magazine states that his mother, Elizabeth Gregory, "made a wicked deep-fried dough that cleverly used her son's spice cargo of nutmeg and cinnamon, along with lemon rind," and "put hazelnuts or walnuts in the center, where the dough might not cook through", and called the food 'doughnuts'.[6]

Another theory on their origin came to light in 2013, when a recipe for "dow nuts" was found in a book of recipes and domestic tips written around 1800 by the wife of Baron Thomas Dimsdale,[12] the recipe being given to the dowager Baroness by an acquaintance who transcribed for her the cooking instructions for a "dow nu

Archived