SASS Wire Forum

Gun prices from yesterday

Dantankerous

Just thinking back a few years...

Gun prices from when I turned 18 and 21. I know plenty of y'all turned 18 and 21 before I did, but I remember when we did not have to budget for gasoline and ammo. ;)

I paid $205 for a brand new Ruger SBH 44 magnum.

I paid $185 for a used Marlin 1894 44 mag. (Wish I'd kept that one...)

I paid $250 for a S&W Model 19 4" .357 magnum, shiny nickel. (durn sure wish I'd kept that one.)

I paid $300 for a new Winchester '92 in 44 magnum, big loop trapper. (Guess what? Gone too.)

In about 1992/93 I paid $280 each for a new pair of Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt.

I remember when my granddad gave me a Springfield bolt action .22 for Christmas when I turned about 12 years old. He'd had that rifle for decades and used it to pop jackrabbits in the Depression. Said he paid $9.00 for it from the Sears catalogue. Yup, I damn sure still have that one! ^_^

My first Jeep, a used 1975 CJ-5 cost about 2K. 

Sometimes nostalgia makes ya' go ouch! :D

When I turned 18...I bought myself a birthday present...brand new Browning BL 22....75.00 dollars

I paid $86 for my Chiefs Special. My first handgun was a Ruger Single Six I think I paid about $75 for it. Still have both of them 

1 hour ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

You just have to look a little harder and be ready. Got this LNIB Model 70 30-06 carbine. $300 at auction. SN puts it from early 80's. I think the dumb scope setup killed interest. I took it off and installed another. 71-5.thumb.jpg.2dc5a97aa58125701d503fcaa908f25e.jpg

59943447588__E75F7CEC-5E86-47EB-802E-28EEB320AD2F_20200417174448005.jpg

Thief !   Ah ,really good buy there.  Congrats on a fine New Haven Sporter!

I bought my first handgun at B&B Sales in North Hollywood, California in 1983 for $317.00. It was a series 70 Colt Combat Government. 
I sold it 5 years later in Albuquerque NM for $265 to put food in the table. 
Sure wish I had it now. 

Howdy,

Tomato soup one can 9 cents around 1964.

I personally stamped thousands.

And I was paid about twice minimum wage.

But those were silver dimes, 90 percent silver.

Same with those other things.

Remember silver is up a good bit.

And if you had the actual silver dollars from back then

they would bring a nice price depending on condition.....and rarity.

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I remember those prices. I also remember minimum wage was about $3.00 and gas had skyrocketed to over a $1.00 a gallon.

That is how I look at a lot of things - "How many hours of labor at minimum wage did/does it take to buy (fill in the blank)?"

For a lot of things that number hasn't changed much.  In some cases it has gone way up, and in others it has gone down to seeming almost free in comparison.  My first year of high school, chemistry class, the son of a radiologist got a calculator while the rest of us were using slide rules.  His could add, subtract, multiply, divide, get square roots, and change signs.  Cost him a couple of hundred bucks.  Now similar ones are $5.  A $200 dollar laptop today has more capacity and capability than a $2,000 desktop from ca. 1990.

Some of my first firearms from around 1970 thru 1973, during my Navy years:

Winchester 9422       $107    (bought another one in 1993 for $300.   Its still LNIB and worth about $1000 now)

Colt Python  (black/blue)     250

High Standard Victor         $200

S&W model 41          $147   (a new one now is $1100+)

AND.... my divorce in 1975 cost about $150.  Best investment I ever made.......... :lol:

..........Widder

When I told my mom how much I paid for my F350...she paused and simply stated, "Your father is  laughing his butt off in heaven."  But  I do have a $250 dollar Python.  

My first hourly wage was 37-1/2 cents per hour. Gasoline was 17 cents per gallon.

First rifle got free for selling Christmas cards from an ad in Boy's Life magazine in mid 60's. Not sure but I think first pistol was a High Standard Sentinel for $29 at J.C. Penney's. Celebrated my 21st birthday by buying a used 2nd gen Colt SAA .45 for $200.(1972)

Back in 1992 when Bill Clinton was the world's best gun salesman...
$360, Ruger GP100 in 357, stainless, 6"
$300, Ruger SP101 in 22LR, stainless, 4"

Walked up to the camera bar in Longs Drugs in Colorado Springs.
Asked for roll of film, box of condoms, and a 357 magnum.
Film got shot, condoms gone, still have both Rugers.

In 2020, my OM Vaquero 44 mag was NIB for $699 + $75 FFL + $40 Background check.
The other one, same condition, was $625 + $20 shipping + $75 FFL + $40 Background check.
Both were safe queens from two different sellers.

I have never sold a gun, so they will all outlast me.

Colt Trooper MK III. 1968 $75. 

CA50A71C-13DB-4461-9D16-FD575A23BF3D.jpeg

B3C480FC-5D3B-4F08-81DE-96E334F7005E.jpeg

I think I paid something like $275 for my used Ruger No. 1 at the San Francisco Gun Exchange. That was about '87 or '88....   :rolleyes:  

In the fall of 1981 or '82, over in Vernal, Utah, from a lumberyard got a my first brand new gun a Winchester '94 for $110 or $125.

Then in the spring of 1983 at our local liquor/gun store down in Ogallala I got my second brand new gun. A Rossi '92 .357 for if I remember right, a hundred bucks - give or take (?). I do remember we haggled over the price for a while. Then as an extra bonus he threw in a couple boxes of ammo.....

.....and he left enough coin in my pocket so I could buy a six-pack of beer from him as well.

That was the same year I first joined the NRA and started reloading. My first reloading outfit was the Lee Classic for the 30-30. I bought it down in North Platte and it still works too.

I bought a Nylon 66 in the early 60's for $50.  Around 1970, I sold the the 66 and I bought a Remington Nylon 77 for $75 (and still have it). Probably worth around $500 now. 

In the mid 60's a friend's grandfather offered to sell a Winchester 99 thumb trigger 22 to me for $5. That gun was a tack driver. My dad would not let me buy it. They are now selling, in very good condition, for around $1000!:angry:

On 4/26/2020 at 8:05 AM, Dantankerous said:

Just thinking back a few years...

Gun prices from when I turned 18 and 21. I know plenty of y'all turned 18 and 21 before I did, but I remember when we did not have to budget for gasoline and ammo. ;)

I paid $205 for a brand new Ruger SBH 44 magnum.

I paid $185 for a used Marlin 1894 44 mag. (Wish I'd kept that one...)

I paid $250 for a S&W Model 19 4" .357 magnum, shiny nickel. (durn sure wish I'd kept that one.)

I paid $300 for a new Winchester '92 in 44 magnum, big loop trapper. (Guess what? Gone too.)

In about 1992/93 I paid $280 each for a new pair of Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt.

I remember when my granddad gave me a Springfield bolt action .22 for Christmas when I turned about 12 years old. He'd had that rifle for decades and used it to pop jackrabbits in the Depression. Said he paid $9.00 for it from the Sears catalogue. Yup, I damn sure still have that one! ^_^

My first Jeep, a used 1975 CJ-5 cost about 2K. 

Sometimes nostalgia makes ya' go ouch! :D

Is this supposed to make us feel good??:o It's NOT!!

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Is this supposed to make us feel good??:o It's NOT!!

Well, how bout this.........

I got gas yesterday, 93 Octane, for 1.67 per gal.

Regular unleaded was 1.37

But we can't go anywhere...............  :lol:

..........Widder

Nothing really changed .

It took about two weeks pay to buy a gun back in the day .

And it takes about two weeks of pay to buy a gun today. 

The only thing that changed was the value of the Dollar  ! 

PS . And my income  lol :D

Archived