SASS Wire Forum

I got drafted!

Dorado

Not really, but sorta. Got called in for Jury Duty. Gotta show up today. Third time round for me. I really don't want to do this. I have too much to do. I have a rocking horse to finish. 30 cakes to bake and deliver, and a jeep to get back together. Ugh... Gonna be one of those weeks.

I did a week a couple years ago. I got called again two years later and I told them I'm self employed and I lose money if I don't work! They said fine, no problem and put me down for never again!!:o

I've been called to jury duty 3 times and been placed on a jury duty 3 times. All three pretty good cases and very enjoyable. Maybe I'm an odd duck but I rather enjoyed jury duty. It helps that my company does pay my salary while I am gone for jury duty however. I understand that being a huge issue if you are self-employed.

I've worked at the same place for 25 years and whenever anybody else got called for jury duty they cried and whined and moaned about it. Most of them brag that they never responded to the jury summons or never show up for jury duty and hahaha they beat the system. But then again most of the people with whom I work are just that way. Since we get full pay for jury duty absense I see it as an opportunity. An opportunity to see something and experience something different, learn about the inner workings of the legal system, and get full pay for being away from the monotony of this manufacturing plant. But like I said, odd duck. But then I already knew that as I'm the only one that likes to dress up and play Cowboy on weekends :D:D:D

Retired Cop, wife retired RN, we will never serve in Missouri. Sucks, both wish we would be able to serve.

I got summoned for Jury duty a couple years back.   

I sent them a copy of my Military Disability rating showing that I was deaf and had a high degree of  word recognition problem on sounds that were loud enough to hear, especially words.

Needless to say, they cancelled my 'invitation' to be on a Jury. 

..........Widder

I too love doing jury duty, but rarely get called.  I did serve 19 months on a federal grand jury back in 1982-83 which was one week per month.  I made money out of the deal because my company paid me full salary, the government picked up mileage, parking fees, and paid $30/day, and didn't have to be there until 9:30 a.m.  Usually we got off by 3:30 p.m. which meant we beat the downtown traffic going home.  It was extremely interesting.  Of course, the 3 weeks I wasn't on jury duty, I had to play catch up at work.

I'm just 2 miles from the Fort Bend County Courthouse where there is tons of free parking, (not like downtown Houston) but haven't been called yet.  Maybe because I want to serve is why I don't get called.  Seems like those that don't want to serve get called regularly. (I know that is a myth.)

Been called three times and never even got interviewed.

I’ve been called for jury duty four times and served on two juries. The first one was pretty clear cut guilty on all counts the second one not so much. 

Back in Rochester, being in Law Enforcement didn’ t excuse  you from jury duty. Still had to go and sit in the jury pool until a judge wanted to interview you, and then dismiss you because, .... wait for it.... you were in Law Enforcement.

I did get called once afte I retired. I thought ‘wow-this could be my chance to sit on a jury for a criminal case’. Got as far as being seated on the jury for interviews by the judge. Turns out that:

I knew all of the arresting Officers and,

I arrested the Defendant 20+ years ago.

The judge almost dropped his gavel before he could spit out the words, “You are dismissed, sir!”.

I consider it a duty and a privilege to serve even though driving into downtown Houston is a pain. I've been called four times and chosen twice. If you don't choose to serve, how can you complain about verdicts that are handed down.

I have been called 3 times, got seated once.  Got called for a murder trial, a criminal (burglar) and a civil suit.  Wasn't very civil.  Murder trial had a call of 200 people because it was so widely publicized.  Didn't get seated for that one.  It was pretty cut and dried.  Criminal suit, when presented with a two time offender, caught leaving the premises with said "merchandise" could those of you potential jurors overlook the fact that the perpetrator had a prior record.  I was thinking about that and they went on to the next question.  I raised my hand, the judge queried me, I said the previous question, I have a problem with that.  Judge said, have a good day, you are excused.  Served two days on the civil trial.  Case where a local kid tried to outrun a train at a road crossing on a small motorcycle.  Did it lots of times before.  Didn't make it this time.  Lost his leg.  Sued because the crossing didn't have gates, just lights and bells.  Near the end of the second day, we were released as the parties had settled out of court.

I find the process interesting and I agree with Fast Tracker, if you don't participate, don't complain about the outcome.  It is a privilege and a duty.

As a trial lawyer, whose clients depend upon the availability and willingness of jurors to serve (and do so conscientiously):

• Thank you to those of you who have done so;
  • No worries to those of you who are excused, or impaired, or otherwise legitimately unable;
  • Shame on those who use phony excuses, or ignore the notice; may you be a litigant or defendant on a day when others do the same.

Your State asks comparatively little of you; a day or two every 3 or 4 years is the norm for most jury service.  It is for the benefit of your fellow citizens.  Next time you feel tempted to skate, think about how you will fare when you need a jury, but all of the thinking and reasonable people have decided to skip jury duty.

LL

I was tapped twice; the first time was by the county I had moved out of a couple years prior.  When I called the court house, the clerk told me to disregard the notice.  

The second time, I called and asked if they could provide a note taker because of my deafness.  The clerk told me to disregard that notice, as well. 

In case anyone was wondering, I call via my computer and an internet-based relay service.   Sprint IP Relay if anyone needs such a service - check them out. 

I was called once on a murder trial.   Kid about 15 was accused of murdering his step dad.  They asked the prospective jury if anyone would have a problem finding the accused guilty of murder in the first degree.   I raised my hand. When asked, I said I had two sons this young man's age.  A dozen other hands came up. I was excused. 

Back story.  The local sheriff department was called on the scene.  They judged it a suicide.   A dozen people came and went in the house and everyone handled the gun and moved furniture.  The Highway Patrol showed up and rolled the body over.   Three shots in the back of the head.   The kid wasn't convicted.  They will never know who killed the man. 

When I was still living in Minnesota I got called for jury duty. 1st day being called into a courtroom was about a drunk driver that hit another car and the driver of that car died. When they asked me if I had any problems about being on a jury about drunk driving. I said yes...in 1969 I was a pedestrian that got hit by a drunk driver. I was excused in less than 10 seconds. TRUE story, I was, I still have bad knees and I can't sit for long periods of time before they stiffen up and start hurting.

The 2nd day I got picked to be on a rape trial. What was stupid is the DA spent 2 days going over DNA evidence found on the victim's T shirt. OK, but he admitted that was his DNA before the trial ever started. He said it was consentual. She testified that she kept saying NO...STOP...but he persisted. We found him guilty. He was out on parole at the time it happened. After the verdict and he was taken away the Judge told us that while he was sitting in jail waiting for the trial to start, he tried to hire someone to kill her so she couldn't testify. I never did find out what kind of sentence he got for the rape charge and trying to have her killed.

Now back here in Montana, I've had 2 summons to be on jury duty. My Doctor gave me a letter that verifies that my knees and hearing aren't very good , so I don't get summons anymore. My better half had to sit on a Federal jury that lasted for 3 weeks. She was pooped when it got done with.

I have been seated on three juries over the years. Each time, I have been an alternate each time having to sit through the entire trial only to be dismissed when the jury goes to deliberation. Only one trial went longer than one session. Kind of entertaining to hear the opposing arguments. Never did find out what the verdicts were.

Just got home. I'm an alternate so I have to call in every day this week after 5:30 to find out if I have to show up the next day. Hopefully I won't. I don't really mind, and I will serve if called. It's just that this particular week is extraordinarily busy for me. It'd be fine if I'm free tomorrow. I need to deliver those cakes tomorrow. That's $400 of free easy money. And I have enough ingredients to make a couple extra! Love my lemon cake!

I agree with Fast Tracker and Loophole LaRue. It's my duty and obligation so I'll do it to the best of my abilities. I'm still gonna complain about it though. So, I'll be getting $6 for today and $40 for any day this week that I'm called in. I kinda wish they just had a gal at the exit handing us envelops with cash in them. It'd be a lot easier. I thought of using it to renew my SASS membership.

My first time round I was called in. It was a drug/child abuse case. We weren't given particulars about it, but they warned us that it could be disturbing. The defendant was out on bail and didn't show for his trial. We came in three days in a row and he never showed. The court apologized and sent us home saying that they'll find a new jury and reschedule the trial.

Second time I was in college and so I was excused.

I don't have a good excuse this time so I'll probably end up serving.

Only time i was called to jury duty, there were three attornies on a personal injury case.  The first lawyer was a close friend, the second lawyer was an opposing lawyer that beat out my ex on a big case, the third was an unknown from the big city.  Of course the first wasnt going to excuse me, the second asked if i had an issue with him, i said, "nope, beat him out fair and square, you had the better case."  He didnt excuse me either. The third did. I havent been called back since and that was around 10 years ago. 

10 hours ago, Dorado said:

Not really, but sorta. Got called in for Jury Duty. Gotta show up today. Third time round for me. I really don't want to do this. I have too much to do. I have a rocking horse to finish. 30 cakes to bake and deliver, and a jeep to get back together. Ugh... Gonna be one of those weeks.

Very small price to 'pay' to live in this country. 

Many, have paid the highest price. -_-

OLG

I got called to serve on a DUI case in State court.  The judge and solicitor both recognized me and thanked me for my time.  I told the judge I would be happy to serve and I brought a new rope for the occasion.  They still sent me packing.  After serving 35 years in law enforcement, I'm being discriminated against.

3 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I got called to serve on a DUI case in State court.  The judge and solicitor both recognized me and thanked me for my time.  I told the judge I would be happy to serve and I brought a new rope for the occasion.  They still sent me packing.  After serving 35 years in law enforcement, I'm being discriminated against.

Sue em' for being prejudice :angry:

I've been called 3 times I think.  Haven't made it on a jury yet.  I'm wondering if I can volunteer.  If you ever watch American Dad, there was an episode where stan called up the courthouse because his waiting period had expired and he was allowed to volunteer for jury duty again.  Man, I sure wished that wasn't just a stupid cartoon.  

My county has an electronic reporting system that lets you schedule your day when you're called and it automatically puts you into a jury pool.  This was you don't waste time in the waiting room and are 1 step away from being on the jury.  I got to do that once and still got excused.  In fact, I think we had a thread about it on the wire and a couple of lawyers (loophole and J mark if memory serves) gave me some tips on how to get selected.  Got them saved somewhere around here.  

I'd like to be on a grand jury. That'd be a good experience. I'd be honored to be picked for that.

I'm off duty this week. I didn't get picked.

Been called three or four times while I was working and once after I retired. Never been seated though. Cops are seldom selected. :angry:

Got called three times, once in Alaska (civil trial lasted two weeks) and twice in Vermont (settled, and one day, respectively).  Worked for the Fed all three times.  Living in Michigan the last four years and haven't been called yet.  Retired now, and thinking about volunteering.

Some folks may not realize that they are contributing to the orderly resolution of arrests and disputes by just showing up for jury service.  On the civil side, more than 90% of cases resolve short of a full trial.  Civil or criminal, the certainty of having to face a jury verdict is often enough to push parties to negotiate a settlement or accept a plea.  When you show up to serve, you contribute to that certainty, and parties are forced to face the reality that this bunch of citizens is about to decide their future.

LL

Archived