SASS Wire Forum

I got drafted!

Dorado

1 hour ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

After my first wife passed away i moved to a different county.  She got a summons for the new county that she’s never lived in.  Not sure how that happened.

I’ve never been called.  

I can partially answer that.  Similar thing happened to me.  After I graduated college and moved out, my mom moved.  She got a jury summons for me at her new address a couple years later.  A place I'd never lived and for a county I hadn't lived in for about 5 years.  I called them up to ask if I could still serve, and they said no.  So then I asked why I was getting summonses and she told me the following interesting things. 

1.  I was still registered to vote in that county.  Apparently there's no communication between counties in texas when you register somewhere new.  There's also no way to unregister.  She said I'd be registered for 7 or 10 years before I was purged. 

2.  They use the national change of address database to get addresses.  When you move and fill out that card for the post office, you get put into the NCOAD.  Problem is, I have never filled out one of those cards because I believe they are the source of most junk mail.  But my mom did.  Since I had lived at the old address with her and no other cards were filled out, they just entered the new address for everyone.  I figure that's what happened with your wife.  Though, I'm not sure how she got registered to vote in the new county.  Are you sure it wasn't for the old county just sent to the new address? 

I live in Oakland, so I get a summons every year pretty much on the year. I show up and even got interviewed twice, but never made it onto a jury. I would love to serve on a jury case, but always get dismissed. I am either too opinionated for the prosecution, or have too many guns and cop friends for the defense.

Howdy,

I got drafted too.

I am promoting the idea of a drafted appreciation day.

Seems like every other thing has a "DAY" but no day for

men who were drafted.

by the way july 30th is draft appreciation day.

Best

CR

On 12/11/2017 at 8:14 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Me, when I get one I toss it in the trash. They can't prove I ever got it, and I usually don't get a repeat ask. If I do I toss it again.

Ike

Before I retired to Fallon I was called for jury duty 4 times. I served on one in the 70's.  The last time I received a summons it said that not responding would result in an arrest warrant being issued.  So, it was important to fill out the return card or show up at appointed place date & time.  I served on a jury in Fallon 2 years ago when I was 69. When the misses received a summons this year she they excused her from showing-up because she is 70.  At least in Churchill County NV there are benefits of being an old fart or blue hair.

Archived