SASS Wire Forum

This is why I don't understand COLLECTORS

Alpo

Another board. This guy has found a Type 99 Arisaka in the mail-home crate. Someone in Japan, way back when, boxed this rifle up and mailed it back home to Ohio.

The bolt was removed from the rifle and wrapped in surgical gauze. The bayonet was wrapped in surgical gauze. The rifle was soaked in grease.

Sometime between arrival and now, the back fo the bolt had been unwrapped down to the safety. The serial number on the safety matches the rifle's.

He says that he wrapped the bolt back up. He also says that he was not the one that unwrapped it, "and never would". Says that "only God knows" who made the bayonet, because he would never unwrap it. Says he has no idea about the bore, because it is packed in grease.

He has a greasy lump and some surgical bandage, and he is THRILLED. Others on the board are also THRILLED for him. "What a piece of history!!"

He's not going to shoot it. He's not going to clean it up and put it together so he can look at it. He's not even going to take it out of the shipping crate.

He's like the little kid with the complete set of Star Wars Action Figures, sitting on the shelf, still in the box. Never played with, never handled. Just - there.

Why?

I don't understand COLLECTORS.

Remember, they don't understand us for not collecting.

There are collectors and then there are collectors. I have become more of a collector than a shooter, but, unless the gun has some significant historical collectors value (of which I have none) or is not safe to shoot (which I got a couple of) I will eventually shoot it. I think the whole idea revolves around whether it will appreciate or depreciate in value if you mess with it. But that is what the opinion of experts is for.

Because he has something that almost no one else does. For some, that is enough.

Out of about a Bazzilion type 99 Arasaka Rifles, he has one. Just one. A lump of grease and some oily surgical gauze. NOT a wonderful piece

of history. Just a gooey mess.

Plus One to Alpo. I just do not understand "Collectors." If you can't take your Mr Potato Head out of the package and play with it, worthless.

Maybe if the great, great, grandson or granddaughter of the Japanese soldier it was issued to, just as the war ended, delivered it to him. Oh, and they would have to be of samurai lineage. Well then.............

"To each his own." said the old lady as she kissed the cow. Everyone has his/her own likes and dislikes. That's what makes us individuals, in spite of those who would suppress our individuality! :angry:

Some collectors value only original, mint-condition, unfired arms. They place more value on such. For example, I have a friend who acquired a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, cal. .30-06, back in 1965. He bought it purely as a backup for his other M70. Because he has long arms, he added a rubber recoil pad, just to lengthen the stock. He also added a Weaver K-4 scope. As the years passed, age and other interests relegated the Featherweight to a place in his gun vault. A few months ago, he attempted to sell the rifle at a local gun show. Several people who looked at it commented that they would only have been interested if the rifle had the original metal buttplate! As he doesn't need the money very urgently, he is letting it sit...for now.

I also know collectors who won't look at a Trapdoor Springfield unless it is in near mint condition. To me, such guns, in spite of their scarcity In that condition, hold no interest whatsoever! They are undoubtedly rare, but the fact they sat around in an arsenal, rather than being issued and used, especially if some history can be determined, holds more interest...for me!

The same holds true in artworks. Aside from the monetary value, I would rather have a print of a painting by Charles M. Russell than a Picasso or the Mona Lisa hanging on my wall. Why? Because I can "see" what Charlie was portraying, including some of the scenery of Central Montana that I ranged...albeit in a blue truck...fifty years ago! To each his/her own! :)

As many of you know - I sell stuff on EBay.

I just sold an empty card board box (about the size of 2 shotgun shell boxes) to a guy

for $50. He is a Lionel electric train collector - they are "wacko" - but - he wanted it - and - I probably

sold it too low.

Go figure - I love collectors - they buy a LOT of my items.

- Boneyard Bill

I've gotten some dirty looks at gun shows when I asked how an expensive gun shot. Some also smile at me and say if i have the cash I'm welcome to buy it and find out. Maybe this fellow just doesn't want to clean all the grease. It does sound like a chore and a half. Plus, if he never cleans the grease or unwraps it, he can just assume it's in pristine condition. Take it out and clean it up, and you might wind up with a rifle in poor shape.

I used to be a gun collector but unfortunately my gun collection was lost in a boating accident several years ago. I'm now in the same boat as BMC, a virtual gun collector.

Kajun

I've enjoyed the heck outta shooting my Arisaka. :)

And I used to marvel at the cowboy shooters who would downright freak out at the mere suggestion of a "cylinder line." Meant the timing wasn't right, don'tcha know. Dang near a mortal sin. Heck... they ain't clocks, fer gosh-sakes. :rolleyes:

New guns? Shoot em sez I. Old collecibles? Shoot em too. That's what they were designed for. I shoot everything I have.

But...what he has is not a gun. Not just an old $300 Arisaka. Not a deer rifle or a target shooter. He has a piece of history. A piece that has been preserved the way it was for 70 years. Handled with pride by a member of the Greatest Generation. Sent home in victory. We'll never know the full story of it I suppose.

No it's not just a rifle. It's much more. It's an historical artifact. Much more significant than a box of Star Wars action figures or a Colt commemorative limited edition Python.

My view anyway.

I collect stuff. Doing pretty good as I have two sizable sheds, a garage and a basement full of it. I try to collect money but find that a bit more difficult. I thought I was going to collect guns years ago when I was presented with the opportunity to buy a couple of Colt commemorative .22 pistols. I thought that was really something until I found out how many different ones there were. Same with Savage 99s. After I found out how many variants there were, I saw it was a daunting challenge and went on to other stuff. I decided if I couldn't, wouldn't or shouldn't shoot it, I didn't really have a need to buy it. A friend said it was like being married to the Virgin Mary. If you can't _______, why have it. Is that too risqué? Not trying to be a potty mouth. It kind of comes naturally.

I still have a half dozen Colts and a few Savages but then I learned about Cowboy shooting and everything went downhill from there.

Most Arisakas are worth $300-$500 unless the chrysanthimum is still intact or the rifle has the arial target sights that can double the value. Arisaka ammo runs about $1.50 or more if it can be found.

Nothing to get too exicted about except for its place in history, as UB alluded to.

Now let someone find a one in a thousand Winchester 1873 or 1876 and you will get my attention.

At least this Arisaka "collector" has the rifle wrapped in greasy gauze. My Dad brought back a few "war trophies" from WWII, consisting of confiscated (the Allied occupation forces were worried the Germans might used sporting arms against the troops) Belgian-made hammer combination guns. He had no real interest in shooting or gun collecting, so he wrapped them in newspaper and stuck them in the un-insulated attic in our house...in Chicago! About 15 years later, I found them, and having somehow become interested in shooting, took them down and unwrapped them. Surprisingly, the wrapping hadn't damaged the finishes other than whatever wear and tear the original owners had caused! My Dad said I could clean them and "play" with them since there was no ammunition for them. First thing I noticed was a trapdoor on the underside of the drilling, which held five or six 9 x 72mm live rounds! Having been trained in gun safety by the village police at the local school, simply stored them safely away. Years later, I did shoot them occasionally, using Savage Four-tenner inserts in the 65mm 16 ga. tubes, and handloaded rifle ammo. Fortunately, I slugged the rifle barrel, as the groove diameter proved to be 9 mm (.358") rather than 9.3mm (.366") one might have assumed. Speaking of collector's bias, as these are outside hammer guns, most people wouldn't even look at them! Go figure...

As many of you know - I sell stuff on EBay.

I just sold an empty card board box (about the size of 2 shotgun shell boxes) to a guy

for $50. He is a Lionel electric train collector - they are "wacko" - but - he wanted it - and - I probably

sold it too low.

Go figure - I love collectors - they buy a LOT of my items.

- Boneyard Bill

Only $50? You should check the prices of 1930's vintage Smith & Wesson revolver red boxes.

I collect stuff. Doing pretty good as I have two sizable sheds, a garage and a basement full of it. I try to collect money but find that a bit more difficult. I thought I was going to collect guns years ago when I was presented with the opportunity to buy a couple of Colt commemorative .22 pistols. I thought that was really something until I found out how many different ones there were. Same with Savage 99s. After I found out how many variants there were, I saw it was a daunting challenge and went on to other stuff. I decided if I couldn't, wouldn't or shouldn't shoot it, I didn't really have a need to buy it. A friend said it was like being married to the Virgin Mary. If you can't _______, why have it. Is that too risqué? Not trying to be a potty mouth. It kind of comes naturally.

I still have a half dozen Colts and a few Savages but then I learned about Cowboy shooting and everything went downhill from there.

They say there is a fine line between collecting and hording. I did enjoy your virgin mary comment haha.

My opinion is that almost certainly, the intent of the US soldier who sent it home was to clean up the rifle and display it in some manner.

Fast forward to today and I'd say the smart thing to do is just that. This new owner isn't really invested emotionally or financially, to any extent, in the rifle, so it'd probably be wise to get it off his hands by cleaning it up so it can be properly inspected and selling it to a real collector of these rifles.

Just a thought: I don't know about WWII arms, but Japanese weapons are especially popular in Japan, so maybe it's time this rifle went home

There are collectors and then there are collectors. I have become more of a collector than a shooter, but, unless the gun has some significant historical collectors value (of which I have none) or is not safe to shoot (which I got a couple of) I will eventually shoot it. I think the whole idea revolves around whether it will appreciate or depreciate in value if you mess with it. But that is what the opinion of experts is for.

I have a couple of guns I don't shoot because ammo is either impossible to find, or so expensive I can't justify it. That's a total of four handguns and one rifle. All the others have been fired and may be again.

My opinion is that almost certainly, the intent of the US soldier who sent it home was to clean up the rifle and display it in some manner.

Fast forward to today and I'd say the smart thing to do is just that. This new owner isn't really invested emotionally or financially, to any extent, in the rifle, so it'd probably be wise to get it off his hands by cleaning it up so it can be properly inspected and selling it to a real collector of these rifles.

Just a thought: I don't know about WWII arms, but Japanese weapons are especially popular in Japan, so maybe it's time this rifle went home

Swords are frequently repatriated as many of them have a long family history. I don't have a problem with that.

But firearms are extremely restricted in Japan. I say keep it here. Bonified trophy of the Greates Generation.

I won't go into Japan's state of denial about the war.

I lived and worked in Japan for some time. I understand them pretty well. There are those serious folk there who can and do have collection of sporting and military arms. I agree that the edged weapons of the old Empire are highly prized. Of course, many of these were carried into battle in WWII, where most were lost, destroyed or captured. I guess in the 80's, there were Japanese brokers touring the US, placing ads and buying up war trophies, which met their standards; most were antique swords and short swords made by known, elite blade masters. These swords were passed down in families, the taken into battle by favorite sons. Some of those made their way back home to be placed in museums or sold and used as display trophies by corporate REMF's, who either never saw battle or had been too young to have served. Many of these swords and other weapons were taken by US occupying forces and melted in blast furnaces or taken home by U.S. forces (not captured in battle). Oh well........

I like Japan and her people. There's a lot to say, but not here.

HOW DO YOU LOSE YOUR GUN COLLECTION IN A BOATING ACCIDENT?

It happens a lot. ;)

Have Gilligan as crew.

The weather started getting rough'

The tiny ship was tossed.

If not for the courage of the fearless crew

The Minnow would be lost.

The Minnow would be lost.

I actually understand. Call me crazy.

You ain't crazy Bob, I'm right with ya!!!

I have some firearms that are still in the box unfired. If I found an Arisaka like that I'd probably keep it just like that too because its a curiosity. Somewheres around here I got an Enfield blade bayonet still in the original military issue grease/paper/plasticy wrap. Keepin' it that way too!

Archived