Were you spanked by your parents?

If you got your butt smacked by our parents, were you

1. damaged forever?
  2. have trust issues with your parents?
  3. afraid of your parents?
  4. felt unloved by your parents?
  5. loose respect for your parents?
  6. felt abused?

Is spanking a good or bad parenting practice?

BQ, having done a lot.. a LOT... of work with abused kids, I can assure you that there are many who would have to answer a resounding "yes" to all but the first part of the final, not-numbered query. :(

Like Birdgun, it took me more than once.

My Dad spanked me once, and I believe that it was harder on him than on me. He did not harm me; but it lit up my brain with the sudden, clear understanding that the most important person in my life thought that I had done something so wrong that I deserved a swat in the pants. And I did. I was shocked, embarrassed and extremely contrite. He never had to do it again.

Beating kids with sticks, switches or paddles; breaking the skin; repeated or abusive poundings; striking heads or faces; this is not corrective spanking. It is assault upon a defenseless child.

LL

Yup. However, we've been blessed not to have the need to express the same discipline on our child.

as far as the other questions - no way - I love my parents more than I can type :)

GG

Got a few whipping,but not as many as I am sure I needed.

The threat of my Pa's belt was enough till I was older. Then it took a pretty good shot to the eye. Valuable lesson. Ya can't take the ol' man and you darn near can't outrun him. And one more: You got to go home sometime!

My mom (all 4'11" of her) had a wooden spoon that we all got once. Once.

My kid's have had a spat or two on the bottom growing up. No tools, just a reminder. One.

My son had to learn the same valuable lesson as I did when he got older. Broke my heart. Is again now as I'm writing this.

No lasting trauma.

Got a few whipping,but not as many as I am sure I needed.

Ditto! There's a difference between spanking and beating. It leaves whelps but a willow switch, imho, sure could make you see the error of your ways. Worse of all was the indignity of having to cut your own.

Got a couple of "Spankings". Never got a "Beating". There is a BIG difference, and some people on both sides of the arguement don't seem to understand that. I my case I probably should have gotten a few more "Spankings".

Spanked often. Switched once. Made dang sure I never did THAT again.

Playing "elbows on the toybox" was one thing, but that switch - dance was something else entirely.

Many times, to many to remember. Razor strap, belt, ping pong paddle, wooden spoon, electric cord and I'm sure a few others. When I got older I picked myself up off of the floor many times because I thought that I could take on the old man, I never succeeded. With my own kids I remember using a paddle on my oldest son once the other three I don't think I ever had to. I was the rebellious type and seemed to challenge all of the parameters set up for me. I probably had each and every paddling, whipping or what ever you call it coming.

Spanking a must, also scriptural if you believe. Being beaten till unconscious, no.

Had a few of both.

I received several spankings, all of which were well deserved. I was a little hard headed and determined to be my own boss and set my own rules. I've gotten better over the years but Brisket still threatens me occasionally. :D

Got my butt whipped on a regular basis by my mother and rarely by my father, I deserved every one of them and yes I was a slow learner. I also went to a Catholic school for 12 years, those nuns would all be in jail today for the vicious beatings they handed out.

I had several, not that I deserved them. :)

I have the utmost love and respect for my parents. I miss them every day.

I also got a few at school from the Nuns at dear old St. Mary's. I didn't deserve them either. :lol:

A few times and the last one I really remember as I was sent out to cut the switch from a bush at the front of the house....that one took.

As to 1 through 6 - nope!

As to our daughter, she was ridiculously well behaved, have no clue why.

Howdy:

My family believed "Pro 13:24 He that spareth his rodde, hateth his sonne: but he that loueth him, chasteneth him betime." I was introduced to the rod of Redemption, and the switch of Salvation many times. My parents did not want me to grow up outside the Laws of our Lord. I thank them for their love.

We had a little story of the ship that broke its mast. The sailors landed and went to the North side of the mountain to get a new mast. The trees on the North side were tested and knocked about by the wind - they would not break. The trees on the South side were soft and broke under the slightest stress. I was a tree from the North side of the Mountain - Thank you parents for your love and direction.

STL Suomi

Howdy:

My family believed "Pro 13:24 He that spareth his rodde, hateth his sonne: but he that loueth him, chasteneth him betime." I was introduced to the rod of Redemption, and the switch of Salvation many times. My parents did not want me to grow up outside the Laws of our Lord. I thank them for their love.

We had a little story of the ship that broke its mast. The sailors landed and went to the North side of the mountain to get a new mast. The trees on the North side were tested and knocked about by the wind - they would not break. The trees on the South side were soft and broke under the slightest stress. I was a tree from the North side of the Mountain - Thank you parents for your love and direction.

STL Suomi

My mother spanked me 4-5 times while I was growing up. She always threatened me with "wait till your Dad gets home and you will really get it', but he never spanked us at all that I can remember. We sure were waiting for it, though. Just the threat kept us inline, most of the time. Not that you asked but I had to swat my kids bottoms a few times while they were smaller, but they are very well behaved now, They do well in school, follow directions well when at shoots and at karate classes, don't mouth off to their elders. Funny how that works.

Beating kids with sticks, switches or paddles; breaking the skin; repeated or abusive poundings; striking heads or faces; this is not corrective spanking. It is assault upon a defenseless child.

LL

Thank you for that comment. Only my mother spanked me. She said it broke the blood vessels in her hand. So, she started using a paddle.

I got spanked with a belt, razor strap, paddle and a few switches that I had to cut. All the spankings I got I earned....deserved so many more than I got. My father hit harder than my mother. If my mother spanked me she'd tell my father and then he'd spank me. It never occurred to me to even think I could take the ole man. He was only 5'6" but I respected him too much to even think I could try.

Went to a Catholic junior high and high school. The brothers, nuns and coaches all had permission to give licks with a paddle....I earned and got my fair share. The coaches would not only give licks but make you report to the football coach after school...there you got to run around the school property for as long as the football team practiced. The coach would check in on you occasionally too and if you weren't running you were rewarded with having to run wind sprints with the football team at the end of practice in addition to the running you already had done. I only had to run after school one time....that was enough....never got any more licks after that one episode.

I spanked both of my sons only a few times.....they earned it and I delivered it. I made sure that I was not angry when I spanked them and did not hit them as hard as I was spanked. They were much better behaved than I was.

To answer the questions the OP asked....no to 1-6 and I think it is a good parenting practice....but only if done with love and not with a sense of meanness. You need to be calm and not angry when and if you are going to discipline your children....whatever discipline method that is utilized.

Kajun

Once. That was all it took.

+1 and no to 1-6. I learned that my Dad meant what he said, and not to question who the boss of the house was. I miss him.

EC

Archived