SASS Wire Forum

Starting Lines

Rye Miles #13621

I was just wondering about some of the shooters who can't remember or don't pay attention to the lines we have to say before shooting the stage. Some of us who write stages try to make it a little "funner" by adding lines from a movie or actual event. When the RO is reading the stage everyone pays attention to the shooting order and many have questions but when they come up to shoot they say "What's the line"??? Geeezz….can ya get into it a little??Next time you shoot try and remember the guy that took his time to write the stages, and who put a little story line or just a cool line to start us off. Some guys have fun with it but the ones that can't remember or could care less :wacko: ….well………..what ya' all think???

Get'r done is not acceptable!!! :P

Say When!!! :P

Rye

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I like the lines, and try to get into them. That is part of the fun for me. After all, this is a fantasy sport

The horses are in the gate RINGGGG..... AND THEY'RE OFF!

I like to write "stories" and have a line related to it. For me, that's part of the fun.

we generally post the starting line for the shooter to see somewhere near the starting position. I will have to admit I've forgotten the line on more than one occasion. especially long ones. The movie quotes are usually eaisier for folks to remember (provided they have seen the movie!) We have a couple of guys who put thier unique twist on the line, ususally pretty funny. But, you are right, for the MD who has worked hard on a theme it can be a little frustrating for a shooter to not even try. I've heard guys take a well known line, for example "lets head them off at the pass" and say "something something pass" That is really not right. I'm going to try harder to remember and say the line.

I like clubs who post the line on a slip of paper right next to the starting position.

It helps us who have no short term memory.

What were we talking about again?

Something about a pass? (grin)

Our club posts a paper at the starting position with the line on it, which is helpful. At our last shoot the posse even had to respond to the shooter with a line of their own on the first stage.

Shooter: "The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun..."

Posse: "...is a good guy with a gun!"

I like the lines, just something else to have fun with but you know sometimes in the excitement I just plum forget it. Doesn't mean i don't like the story

This can be a two way street.

I try and say the line. Or something close. I might change it if I

think of something funny to go along with the written line.

BUT.

The stage writer needs to keep in mind this is not a memory contest.

I am also trying to remember how to shoot the stage.

So PLEASE don't make it some long drawn out line that is hard to remember.

If you do.

Don't get mad that we can not remember them.

Something short and sweet. There to shoot. Not give a speech.

But I do try and say the line.

Having it posted close to the starting position sure helps.

Remember - It's entertainment.

I write stages often myself, always with a starting line. But I don't take offense when a shooter would rather not remember the line.

As TO, when I believe the shooter is settled in, I prompt him/her with "Say your line or otherwise indicate ready." A nod or "Let'r buck" is often all they want to do. No skin off my nose.

Good luck, GJ

Shooter( Guess it is not my day to die) TO or posse(The day is not over yet)

Rye, you are right, but we are spoiled. We have the Dawg who is the Professor Emeritus of good movie lines. I do think it adds to the fun especially when someone (talkin bout you, Rye) adds their own twist to the line. Yes, I forget them sometimes myself.

My memory is so bad that even if it is two words I forget the start line. I am up there to shoot the stage and my concentration is on remembering what to do. Many a time I have asked the TO what it is at the last minute. I do not understand clubs who do not print it out in large letters and post near the start position. If there is not an easy place to post then there are ways to fix that. One thing I did was take two pieces of wood, each about 10 by 12 or so and angle the one to the other at about 70 degrees so you can staple the start line (in large print) on it. That little holder can be put out in front of the shooter ten feet or so and therefore be easy to see.

I never alter how a start line is (if it is there for me to see) but if a person improvises and slightly alters it I usually think it is funny and not offensive. Most will say it how it was meant to me said. I never "not remember a start line" by choice, it is a matter of my poor memory and my concentration on what I need to do to shoot the stage. My hat is always off to those who come up with scenarios and start lines.

I do try to say the lines as best I can. I don't always remember them and on occassion, I will change em slighty. The first time I came up to Firelands, Rye wasn't there and I don't remember the TO, but I interjected something about Rye and he was 2 minutes before he could start the timer. He was laughing to hard. :D

We always laminate and post the starting lines a little down range on the stage so you don't have to work too hard to find them. A short story or movie title headlines the stage and gives those interested an opportunity to imagine a situation other than just plinking at steel for time.

CR

I sometimes don't remember the starting line even after I have run the timer on the stage for 5-6 shooters...dang CRS disease. And, sometimes I forget the starting line between shooters...again CRS disease. If I can't remember the starting line and I know the shooter is somewhat given to humor I just tell them to make one up. You ought to see the smile on their face and sometimes we are surprised at what they come up with.

At a recent match at Cherokee Gun Club in Georgia the match director, Badlands "Evil" Bob wrote one stage where the shooting order was 2 - 1 - 2 for both rifle and pistols. You know what the starting line was....." One three one, one three one." :blink: :blink: Of course this was a match known as the Evil Bob match and he threw in all of the stages from the previous year that everyone has griped about.....he says "Yes, I'm listening to the shooters." Such a guy....but we all love to shoot the Evil Bob match....always fun.

We like you Evil Bob....so much so that I now have a new rope in the back of my truck. :lol::D:P

Kajun

As a stage writer, it can be hard not to take offense when folks don't seem to care about the effort/thought put into trying to make it fun. But, we must do just that. There will always be some who don't care about lines or stories at all, some who like lines and just can't remember them and some who love them and always say them or ham 'em up. That's just the way it is. The ones who care nothing about lines aren't disrespecting the writer.

I write stages...even lines...but I couldn't care less if they say them or not. It's their "Fun"...not mine.

And frankly, if folks don't try and mangle my lines...then somethin' is wrong with them.

And Stories...I could skip those all together. They are usually too damn long!!!!!

Cheers!

Phantom

When Kate and I write stages it is always easy to tell which one of us wrote what stage. She uses starting lines, I do not. When faced with a starting line, I will rarely use the line that the stage writer has given us to use, but will make up one of my own. I usually try to keep it in line with the theme, but not always.

Line..Even bad men love their Mommas....2nd shooter...Even bad men love yo Momma.....The whole possee cracked up....including the TO...I apperciate hearing a stage read and the work that goes into it....gives me some time before ...trying to remember..reverse Nevada sweep...center target first ...double tap left target...single tap 2nd ....skip third...say what??????? LOL I need a memory transplant,,, lol...Jim

I try ta say the line as written...

I might embellish it if my ol' brain is workin'..

I like it when the line is posted somewhere on the stage..

Most of our local clubs I attend do that..

But what I don't like... :angry:

Is when the TO will not start the shooter unless he says the EXACT line..

Rance ;)

Thinkin'.. I'm old and forgetful too.. :D:)

I LOVE STARTING LINES!

At the clubs I shoot most at it depends on who writes the stages on if we have them or not. Most of the time not sadly.

I come up with my own starting lines anyway...

For matches that do have starting lines it's really not that big a deal to make an attempt and often the variations on the posted starting lines are hilarious.

What does kind of irk me are those folks who make a point of refusing to say the line, they spend more time and energy refusing that it would have taken to just say the dang line. Same goes for those who always say the same thing and refuse to say the posted line. Join in the fun already!

But in the grand scheme of things it isn't that big a deal, and it would be almost as silly of me to get all riled up about them not saying the lines as it is silly of them to refuse to say them.

I was just wondering about some of the shooters who can't remember or don't pay attention to the lines we have to say before shooting the stage. Some of us who write stages try to make it a little "funner" by adding lines from a movie or actual event. When the RO is reading the stage everyone pays attention to the shooting order and many have questions but when they come up to shoot they say "What's the line"??? Geeezz….can ya get into it a little??Next time you shoot try and remember the guy that took his time to write the stages, and who put a little story line or just a cool line to start us off. Some guys have fun with it but the ones that can't remember or could care less :wacko: ….well………..what ya' all think???

Get'r done is not acceptable!!! :P

Say When!!! :P

Rye

You are kidding right?? At my age the target sequence and round count is the thing I concentrate on. When it comes to start lines, if I can not remember I usually comment on the stage writer's obscene sequence he invented or the TOs nice holsters or other.

My favorite starting line is "Ready":

That just gives me full reign to make up my own line.

One of my favorites is -

"I'm comin' to git ya, Earp"

I have not used it near enough but last month it seemed to put a spur in my butt.

So look out, Earp, I'm comin' to gitcha. :lol:

Other favorites are:

I got the gold pa.

Put an Amen to it Reverend.

What do I gotta do draw a picture!

Problem with coming up with your own is that sometimes I'm so focused on the line I forget the stage. :wacko:

Done that and got a P for my trouble. :P

Waimea

:FlagAm:

For Stories, I think they are best located in the shoot book with at most a one sentence summary to be read with the stage instructions.

If the whole long story gets read at each stage, I tend to doze off and miss the shooting instructions.

I like the lines before the beep. Remembering them is the problem. It's better if they're posted so that all you have to remember coming from the load table is how to shoot the stage.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

my stages always have a line posted by the starting point. Editoralizing of line is allowed (heaven knows I do it myself)

We post the starting position and the starting line at each stage. How many time have you had someone ask where are my hands? I usually tel them attached to their wrist.

Shooter starts standing behind horse with hands on horse

When ready shooters says

"Let's ride boys!"

I have an old stand by for went I forget. "These pretzels are making me thirsty" Seinfeld episode.

It quickly became a running gag. I was actually told if I used it again at a Big match I would get a SOG penalty.

Seems a little old lady said it was an unfair advantage not to have to commit a start line to memory.

I have an old stand by for went I forget. "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

I was once actually told of I used it again at a Big match I would get a SOG penalty.

Seems a little old lady said it was an unfair advantage not to have to commit a start line to memory.

:)

Archived