SASS Wire Forum

Starting Lines

Rye Miles #13621

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an old stand by for went I forget. "These pretzels are making me thirsty" Seinfeld episode.

It quickly became a running gag. I was actually told if I used it again at a Big match I would get a SOG penalty.

Seems a little old lady said it was an unfair advantage not to have to commit a start line to memory.

I hope you are joking about that.

Anyway. Like I said. Keep shooters in mind when writing lines. Short and sweet.

Same with story lines if you write those in. Short and sweet. Don't need a whole

paragraph to read on each stage.

You are walking by the jail and see the prisoners breaking out. So shooter yells "It's a jailbreak"

You are on watch and see the Indians coming. Shooter says "Indians are coming."

I like the lines and stories and at our Annual we post them where they can be seen. But not the monthly, and if you forget no problem!! Mostly it is fun to change the line around a little and make it silly. One of the most fun shoots was one in Utah where the lines were based on Three Stooges movies......

I'm in the group that spends vast amounts of time trying to 'improve' the starting line and then has to have the RO tell me the next gun to shoot and which one to start on.

It's all fantasy till someone shoots the jackalope

I have an old stand by for went I forget. "These pretzels are making me thirsty" Seinfeld episode.

It quickly became a running gag. I was actually told if I used it again at a Big match I would get a SOG penalty.

Seems a little old lady said it was an unfair advantage not to have to commit a start line to memory.

I am confused how someone can get a SOG penalty before a round has gone downrange on a stage.

At a little monthly. One of the first shooters could not remember the line.

So just said something from the movie Talladega Nights.

The rest of the posse from then on started saying one liners from that movie.

Could not believe how many know all those lines.

It was funny.

I know that movie was not western. But everyone had fun with it.

POPCORN! PEANUTS! Git ur popcorn or peanuts, sit back & enjoy the show!

Seriously? There's plenty of other issues to get worked up over. And if you're usin' movie lines... they ain't even your original work. When my wife wrote stages, there was an ongoing story for the match; & if anyone besides me ever mentioned it, she's never mentioned it. When I asked her about that, she said, "... 'em, I do it to make it easier to develop the shootin' scenario."

Me, I never forget the line... whether the TO sez, "is the shooter ready," "does the shooter understand the course of fire" or "say the line to indicate ready," I can honestly say,

|

|

|

\/

I am confused how someone can get a SOG penalty before a round has gone downrange on a stage.

Nope, not joking. I was told SOG if I used it again.

A “failure to engage” occurs when a competitor willfully or intentionally disregards the stage
instructions in
order to obtain a competitive advantage and is not assessed simply because a
competitor “makes a mistake.”
A Failure to Engage applies only to non
-
shooting situations such
as refusing to rope a steer, throw a stick of dynamite or otherwise make an attemp
t to complete
any other non
-
shooting procedure written within the stage instructions.
In such a case, in
addition to any penalties for misses, a 30
-
second failure to engage/Spirit of the Game penalty is
assessed

I can see their 'logic' but....

I would have asked for a new RO.

+1

The Mountain Valley Vigilantes in Hot Springs, Arkansas had a great shoot last Saturday, and the starting lines recognized that Cinco de Mayo was on Monday. All the starting lines had a Mexican flavor:

"This train goes all the way to Chihuahua"

"All the senioritas look prettier at closing time"

"Hey Pancho, I think you stepped in something"

...it was a fun bit of icing on the cake. Or maybe honey on the sopapilla.

I can see their 'logic' but....

If they are that serious about this game I think they need to find something else to do. And to their way of thinking having a brainfart is reason for an SOG I don't think so. I rarely remember the line even right after the RO tells me. I don't have time or patience for people like that. THIS GAME IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUN.

Not directed at you Grizz

If they are that serious about this game I think they need to find something else to do. And to their way of thinking having a brainfart is reason for an SOG I don't think so. I rarely remember the line even right after the RO tells me. I don't have time or patience for people like that. THIS GAME IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUN.

Nothing against you Grizz

No offense taken. I was just pointing out the actual rule and that by the letter of the 'law' there was some basis for an argument. In my opinion of course.

As I said in my earlier post, I think it's silly for folks not to make some sort of an effort at the starting lines, but it's almost as silly for me to get riled up if they don't.

I think my new standard starting line when none is stated is going to be....

Philly Slim is a meadow muffin

The RO is a Top Hand and all round great cowboy. He was being harangued by granny, she insisted that it was advantageous to not have to commit a start line to memory.

The SOG would have been for disobeying a RO not for saying the wrong line. I highly respect my friend so I complied for the rest of the match. It still makes me smile every time I think about it, and if you ever hear me bust out a "these pretzels are making me thirsty" start line, you now know the rest of the story.

Most of the lines in my stages are from Westerns.

The shooter can say the line or "ready" or "Git R Done" or whatever.

My favorite line story is from a shoot last year that had a Quigley Down Under theme.

I believe it was Cowboy Rick who wrote the stage.

You had your choice of these two starting lines:

(1)

You know your weapons. It's a lever-action, breach-loader. Usual barrel length's thirty inches. This one has an extra four. It's converted to use a special forty-five caliber, hundred-and-ten-grain metal cartridge, with a five-hundred-forty-grain paper patch bullet. It's fitted with double-set triggers, and a Vernier sight, marked up to twelve-hundred yards. This one shoots a mite further.

or

(2) Ah-ha. The legendary Sharps.

Buffalo Dick said the first line from memory!!!!

Mighty impressive.

Many of us who love cowboy movies know them by heart.

That was an extra-special moment.

We made Buffy repeat it at the awards ceremony to much cheering

--Prairie (what's know for longish lines) Dawg

The RO is a Top Hand and all round great cowboy. He was being harangued by granny, she insisted that it was advantageous to not have to commit a start line to memory.

The SOG would have been for disobeying a RO not for saying the wrong line. I highly respect my friend so I complied for the rest of the match. It still makes me smile every time I think about it, and if you ever hear me bust out a "these pretzels are making me thirsty" start line, you now know the rest of the story.

The argument for Committing the line to memory is BS

How many times have you seen a guy go up the the line, tell the TO that he can't remember the line, TO tells the shooter the line, and the shooter just repeats it right back?

There are folks that I TO that I will tell them, "shooter, when ready tell me 'blah blah blah' and I'll give you the standby and the beep." I say that because every time the come up to the line and I say indicate ready b saying the line the look at me and ask what's my line.

I just cut out the middle man.

I know you know.

It just makes me mad when folks make up a rule to make themselves feel relevant.

Prarie dawg,

I have to tell a story on my wife. We were shooting the OH state last year. Great match by the way.

Anyhoo, they were doing lines from Blazing Saddles.

Well, some of those lines are a little blue for today's PC crowd. They made a great effort to create clean versions of some very funny lines from the movie.

Well, this one stage, my wife gets up there, gets set up, and just freezes. Then starts laughing. All she can remember is the uncensored line and did not want to say it in fear of offending someone.

Well, it was funny at the time.

Shooter - A man's got to make a livin'

TO - Dying ain't much of a livin' boy.............Standby...Beep

Story is known, line is easy.

You can see their...LOGIC???

Oh please...do tell where.

Phantom

Saying a line is a non shooting activity. I can see that, but I fail to see how that is a competitive advantage, but it could be argued.

And you will note that I put 'logic' in quotes in my post, implying that perhaps it wasn't completely logical.

there are two sides at least to every coin, sometimes it helps to be able to see the other side, even if you don't agree with it.

The argument for Committing the line to memory is BS

How many times have you seen a guy go up the the line, tell the TO that he can't remember the line, TO tells the shooter the line, and the shooter just repeats it right back?

There are folks that I TO that I will tell them, "shooter, when ready tell me 'blah blah blah' and I'll give you the standby and the beep." I say that because every time the come up to the line and I say indicate ready b saying the line the look at me and ask what's my line.

I just cut out the middle man.

I know you know.

It just makes me mad when folks make up a rule to make themselves feel relevant.

agree with this guy 100% Barlycorn

Saying a line is a non shooting activity. I can see that, but I fail to see how that is a competitive advantage, but it could be argued.

Really???

You mean...you could consider the starting line...before the beep...to actually be a stage activity????

Oy...

Phantom

I've seen throwing a tommy hawk done both before and after the beep.

I've seen drooling before and after the beep...what does that have to do with the price of tea in China??

People that could even consider the correctness of a starting line as a SOG issue SCARE ME!!!!!

OY!!!!!!!!!!!

Settle down Phantom, if you reread my original post, I was just saying I could understand WHERE they were coming from, not that I AGREED with them.

But if you are saying that I scare you, I'll take that as a compliment. :D

Best be careful, you're using up your allotment of OYs pretty quick this month, I'd hate to see you run short at the end of the month with a really juicy topic comes up. :D

I've seen drooling before and after the beep...what does that have to do with the price of tea in China??

People that could even consider the correctness of a starting line as a SOG issue SCARE ME!!!!!

OY!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn double damn triple damn I have to agree with Phantom on this

I did have the starting line turn ugly on me at the last match.

The stage directions indicated that hands should be on the door frame.

I asked could they be anywhere on the door frame pointing out that you COULD put your hands next to your waist very near the rifle.

Instantly I was proclaimed a "Cheater" by the RO (all in fun).

Everyone then decided the starting line should be "Cheater" or "Waimea's a cheater".

You know something fun like that.

Guess you had to be there.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I did have the starting line turn ugly on me at the last match.

The stage directions indicated that hands should be on the door frame.

I asked could they be anywhere on the door frame pointing out that you COULD put your hands next to your waist very near the rifle.

Instantly I was proclaimed a "Cheater" by the RO (all in fun).

Everyone then decided the starting line should be "Cheater" or "Waimea's a cheater".

You know something fun like that.

Guess you had to be there.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Sounds like some of the fun we have, though the term would have been 'gamer'

I suggested one to Dawg and he wrote it into a match for me last year. Still one of my favorites. From Quigley - shooter faces the three spotters - line is "I'm new here so I ain't rightly certain, is everyone here in this country as butt ugly as you three"

I suggested one to Dawg and he wrote it into a match for me last year. Still one of my favorites. From Quigley - shooter faces the three spotters - line is "I'm new here so I ain't rightly certain, is everyone here in this country as butt ugly as you three"

I like it!

Settle down Phantom, if you reread my original post, I was just saying I could understand WHERE they were coming from, not that I AGREED with them.

But if you are saying that I scare you, I'll take that as a compliment. :D

Best be careful, you're using up your allotment of OYs pretty quick this month, I'd hate to see you run short at the end of the month with a really juicy topic comes up. :D

Why do people say silly stuff...like..."Settle down"?

Again, if you read my responses...as I do pick my words with some care...that the fact that anyone could even say they "Understand" where "They" are coming from...scares me...because it's sooooo stoopid to think that not using the starting line could be considered for a SOG.

So I won't pussyfoot around...and I'll say flat out that anyone that considers the starting line as part of a stage that if done incorrectly could result in a SOG as a (#$&(@!#$!...

Phantom

Wow, so you have to agree with someone to even understand, or think you understand their though processes to arrive at the conclusion they did? You can't do that without agreeing with them?

I can.

Wow, so you have to agree with someone to even understand, or think you understand their though processes to arrive at the conclusion they did? You can't do that without agreeing with them?

I can.

Oh...gawd...

I don't need to tell people that I understand their flawed logic...unless I'm just trying to make them "Feel" better about their stoopidity.

Not all opinions are worth something...some ain't worth crap.

Phantom

Archived