SASS Wire Forum

Starting Lines

Rye Miles #13621

The only safe starting position is hand firmly gripping first gun to avoid any possibility of dropping a gun. No duelist or gunfighter allowed. Whatever you do, don't start shooters with their back to the stage because they're facing the crowd and they might draw and shoot someone. Live ammo should be banned. ;)

IMO, if you can't take your hands from basically any position other than locked in handcuffs and retrieve your guns while remaining safe, you need to step away from the guns. Does this mean I'm a fan of starting with another shooter's arm around me? Well, it depends. Smelly Classic Cowboys, absolutely not. There are some really handsome B Western shooters out there though. :P

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allie,

From the RO 1 course:

4. Stay Within Arm’s Length. In order to stop an unsafe act, the Chief Range Officer must be within arm’s length of the shooter. In fact, the appropriate position for the Chief Range Officer is behind and off to the strong side of the shooter. In other words, if the shooter is right handed, the Chief Range Officer should be within arm’s length of the shooter, to the rear and right of centerline. In this way, you can see the shooter operate the gun with his or her strong hand. NEVER let the competitor get away from you.
So I take that to mean that the RO SHOULD be close to the shooter. As for the stage I wrote, none of the shooters WHO PARTICIPATED IN THE MATCH (rather than armchair quarterbacking the match) had anything negative to say about it. Watch the videos.
Here is the way it went...
  • Arm around RO,
  • Line (with or without giggling)
  • Beep
  • Release RO
  • RO steps back to within arms reach of the strong hand of the shooter.

Allie,

From the RO 1 course:

4. Stay Within Arm’s Length. In order to stop an unsafe act, the Chief Range Officer must be within arm’s length of the shooter. In fact, the appropriate position for the Chief Range Officer is behind and off to the strong side of the shooter. In other words, if the shooter is right handed, the Chief Range Officer should be within arm’s length of the shooter, to the rear and right of centerline. In this way, you can see the shooter operate the gun with his or her strong hand. NEVER let the competitor get away from you.
So I take that to mean that the RO SHOULD be close to the shooter. As for the stage I wrote, none of the shooters WHO PARTICIPATED IN THE MATCH (rather than armchair quarterbacking the match) had anything negative to say about it. Watch the videos.
Here is the way it went...
  • Arm around RO,
  • Line (with or without giggling)
  • Beep
  • Release RO
  • RO steps back to within arms reach of the strong hand of the shooter.

If you don't want armchair quarterbacking you probably shouldn't be posting on the internet.

As far as the starting position, as stated previous post:

"Per ROII "Stay close enough to the shooter to control him/her, physically if necessary, but not so close as to impede the shooter.""

Whether any of the shooters had anything negative to say is irrelevant. You are the match director/TG/Regulator, you should know that this is an unsafe starting position. That's part of your responsibility!

By the vary nature of the shooter having his arm around the TO they are impeding the shooter and potentially in the shooter 170 to start the stage, not to mention that you could snag a loaded pistol on clothing or leather, knock shells of the body etcetera!

That is all, carry on.

Whiskey Kid

If you don't want armchair quarterbacking you probably shouldn't be posting on the internet.

As far as the starting position, as stated previous post:

"Per ROII "Stay close enough to the shooter to control him/her, physically if necessary, but not so close as to impede the shooter.""

Whether any of the shooters had anything negative to say is irrelevant. You are the match director/TG/Regulator, you should know that this is an unsafe starting position. That's part of your responsibility!

By the vary nature of the shooter having his arm around the TO they are impeding the shooter and potentially in the shooter 170 to start the stage, not to mention that you could snag a loaded pistol on clothing or leather, knock shells of the body etcetera!

That is all, carry on.

Whiskey Kid

The instructions do not require the shooter to remain with their arm around the TO while shooting. It's a "starting position." If you start with a bag of gold in your hands, it will "impede" you until you release it.

And the starting line is: The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

The instructions do not require the shooter to remain with their arm around the TO while shooting. It's a "starting position." If you start with a bag of gold in your hands, it will "impede" you until you release it.

And the starting line is: The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

A bag of gold don't have a mind of it's own...so, unless you're equating a human being with an inanimate object...your analogy is faulty.

I once had a job where one of my tasks was to figure out ways to steal from my employer...then check to see if anyone was doing it. Trained to think like a criminal, but never been on the wrong side of the law...if you don't count speeding tickets. :)

I want a job like that! What was the job title?

locked in handcuffs

That's a pretty good idea for a starting position. I don't think we have a jailhouse stage, but we do have a gallows.

So as read this it is OK to repeat as requested.....or butcher...or improve...or change...or ignore starting lines as the shooter sees fit without incurring a SOG penalty....Agreed? Yes Agreed....OK I see progress here. It is not agreed that holding the TO is anything more than fun yet...Correct....yes correct....I call the question......Time for a vote...lets tally ..ummm....could we get a roll call vote of the membership..and get back to Rye's origional post...uuummm....We need a recount....OK...OK...Jim.

And if your loaded pistol snags on his clothing and falls to the ground who gets the match DQ? That would be a fun discussion on the range. My point is there is enough potential for bad things to happen in this sport, let’s be smart about it and eliminate the ones that can be avoided without changing any facet of the game. Just my $0.02.

Whiskey Kid

So as read this it is OK to repeat as requested.....or butcher...or improve...or change...or ignore starting lines as the shooter sees fit without incurring a SOG penalty....Agreed? Yes Agreed....OK I see progress here. It is not agreed that holding the TO is anything more than fun yet...Correct....yes correct....I call the question......Time for a vote...lets tally ..ummm....could we get a roll call vote of the membership..and get back to Rye's origional post...uuummm....We need a recount....OK...OK...Jim.

The guidelines are all ready here...no need to try and fabricate new ones.

Ref: ROII

Phantom

A bag of gold don't have a mind of it's own...so, unless you're equating a human being with an inanimate object...your analogy is faulty.

Okay, no analogy needed: If a person is incapable of removing their arm from someone without shooting themselves or someone else, they don't need to be handling guns.

Okay, no analogy needed: If a person is incapable of removing their arm from someone without shooting themselves or someone else, they don't need to be handling guns.

Mis-direction...

The issue isn't whether someone can safely remove their arm from around...oh nevermind...ya got something in yer head and there's no reason to try an remove it.

But...perhaps you could see Whiskey Kid's remarks...they seem pretty spot-on.

Phantom

I've shot from can to can't, heard every kind of butcherin' the starting line you can imagine, intentionally and unintentionally, mostly intentionally, and this thread amounts to a total of two times I've heard of such silliness as to give any sort of penalty for not saying the line right. It simply serves the purpose of saying, "I'm ready. I'm waiting for a standby and a beep." I've seen the starting line be nodding your head. There was a thread recently about favorite starting lines. I stole mine from Jubal Early who I met in Louisiana, "Let'er buck!"

Archived