SASS Wire Forum

Starting Lines

Rye Miles #13621

Starting with yer arm around the TO is probably one of the worst starting positions I've ever seen. What happened to keeping a little room between the RO/TO and the shooter?

To me, yer starting off the stage with a huge potential for interference...or worse. We're not playing Tiddledywinks here.

Sorry...just my opinion...

Phantom

Well, that'll just keep me up all night worrying that you don't like my stages.

Frankly, I consider it validation that I'm doing it right when Phantom hates it.

:D

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that'll just keep me up all night worrying that you don't like my stages.

Frankly, I consider it validation that I'm doing it right when Phantom hates it.

:D

Would love to hear your addressing of the issue that I brought up...rather then you trying to be cute.

Phantom

When writing stages for a monthly there are times when I just try to make folks laugh. Like Phantom said, some will enjoy it more than others and that's plenty okay.

Wrote one some time back that had the shooter pointing at the mirror in the Saloon while saying the line, "I don't like the way you look!" Boy did that get lots of laughs. :lol:

As for me, I really try to put expression into the lines when I say them. (some lines just beg for it ^_^ )

I love this game. :D

Sometimes we use lines from "Airplane" or "Young Frankenstein." Occasionally if there are no kids nor straightlacers on the posse, I'll use a line from "Coming to America,"

"The royal ***** is clean, your highness."

Starting with yer arm around the TO is probably one of the worst starting positions I've ever seen. What happened to keeping a little room between the RO/TO and the shooter?

To me, yer starting off the stage with a huge potential for interference...or worse. We're not playing Tiddledywinks here.

Phantom

Frankly I'm with Phantom on this. Per ROII "Stay close enough to the shooter to control him/her, physically if necessary, but not so close as to impede the shooter."

In my opinion this is a bad starting position. The TO is potentially in the shooter 170 to start the stage, not to mention that you could snag a loaded pistol on clothing or leather, knock shells of the body etcetera.

Just seems like a bad idea.

Whiskey Kid

Phantom

Depends on who the RO is, now if it's Allie Mo I'd have no problem with it!!! :lol:

Rye

Phantom

+1

I don't want the TO any closer than it takes for me to hear the beep. And at this time my hearing is still pretty good. To many potential problems when TO is in your travel lanes.

If there posted I'll read them. Older shooters sometime have enough trouble concentrating on the stage and don't need the distraction of remembering a line.

Johnny M.

We post the starting position and the starting line at each stage. How many time have you had someone ask where are my hands? I usually tel them attached to their wrist.

Shooter starts standing behind horse with hands on horse

When ready shooters says

"Let's ride boys!"

Or

"My, your withers are most shapely!"

Or

"Oh................squirrel!!

Or

"Ole Betsy, hope you don't mind me mounting you from the rear like this!"

Yeah, I've been known to "tweak" a starting line or two. ;)

I like starting lines for a reason. When the shooter says the line it indicates that he/she is ready to start the stage. This puts the shooter in charge of the start rather than the TO.

I like starting lines for a reason. When the shooter says the line it indicates that he/she is ready to start the stage. This puts the shooter in charge of the start rather than the TO.

You mean as apposed to just saying "Ready"...????

"Next Shooter! When you're ready say the line and then I'll beep."

Shooter, "I don't remember the line."

Me, "I don't either so I'll believe anything you say."

"Robert E. Lee for President!"

Beep.

Yeah, as opposed. I like a little more variety in my game.

"Next Shooter! When you're ready say the line and then I'll beep."

Shooter, "I don't remember the line."

Me, "I don't either so I'll believe anything you say."

"Robert E. Lee for President!"

Beep.

I like "The south surrendered" beeeeeeeeeep!!!!!! :lol:

90% of the reason to have a starting line is so the shooter has a method to signify ready - the other 10% encompasses ambiance, attitude and atmosphere.

As a match director, I feel that 10% does have some value.

I will continue writing scenario reflective starting lines and and hoping they add something to the experience.

But a shooter is free to say anything they want, to start their stage.

90% of the reason to have a starting line is so the shooter has a method to signify ready - the other 10% encompasses ambiance, attitude and atmosphere.

As a match director, I feel that 10% does have some value.

I will continue writing scenario reflective starting lines and and hoping they add something to the experience.

But a shooter is free to say anything they want, to start their stage.

I do starting lines too...but it's not that important too me.

Now the starting position that was shown in the video where the shooter has his/her arm around the TO...THAT'S just WRONG!

Phantom

I do starting lines too...but it's not that important too me.

Now the starting position that was shown in the video where the shooter has his/her arm around the TO...THAT'S just WRONG!

Phantom

On that, you will get ZERO debate from me.

Seems a stage begging for interference calls and pistols finding their way free from holsters.

Creative stage writing (including starting positions) is always walking on a thin line between "way too common" and "what were you thinking?"

i really enjoy the story of the stage when the posse is getting their instructions , and i dont mind the "line" as a tie in to your actual shooting experience , ill admit im seldom thinking of the story line or the "line" when im up to shoot - generally thinking of the shooting sequence and hoping for a clean stage , i try to get the line right but really appreciate the posted memo at the starting line ,

all that said - are ya going to pull those pistols or are we gonna whistle dixie ? ill go with either but showed up to shoot

Around these parts (AZ) we like to honor one of our small communities (down by Tombstone) by saying the familiar old gag line: "Who'll take the mail to Red Rock", regardless of the Line provided. Nobody ever questions it. If you say it every time, you never have to ask what the Line is. (It's hard enough to remember where your hand are supposed to be).

I'm very fortunate to attend matches where folks write great stages and many times tell historical stories that leave me thinking to myself, "Wow, that's cool." By the time it's my turn to shoot though, I rarely remember the line, but fortunately it's typically pinned nearby. I think the reason I can't remember the line is squirrel!

I can see their 'logic' but....

Grizz, I actually get it. Just because your mind is like Will Graham's (from Red Dragon) who can get into the sick mind of Hannibal Lecter and understand his 'logic,' it doesn't mean you're a psychopathic cannibal...or think someone should receive a SOG based upon twisted logic. I once had a job where one of my tasks was to figure out ways to steal from my employer...then check to see if anyone was doing it. Trained to think like a criminal, but never been on the wrong side of the law...if you don't count speeding tickets. :)

I thought improving or butchering or ignoring starting lines was an old tradition with shooters...depending on ...attutide...mood swings...temperatures...time of day...blood sugar...etc...Hugging the TO....is this a joke??!? I'm new to this game but come on...don't need to be clairvoyant to see potential problems with that starting position...not counting the distraction of another mans cologne on me when I get home to the second wife.....and the slur on Tiddlywinks was uncalled for. As a former south Texas Regional runner up in the Singles Championships there is skill and logistics to getting your first large wink.....

...(wink...wink)....Jim

I thought improving or butchering or ignoring starting lines was an old tradition with shooters...depending on ...attutide...mood swings...temperatures...time of day...blood sugar...etc...Hugging the TO....is this a joke??!? I'm new to this game but come on...don't need to be clairvoyant to see potential problems with that starting position...not counting the distraction of another mans cologne on me when I get home to the second wife.....and the slur on Tiddlywinks was uncalled for. As a former south Texas Regional runner up in the Singles Championships there is skill and logistics to getting your first large wink.....

...(wink...wink)....Jim

lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg?7f6c82c4e3eb

lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg?7f6c82c4e3eb

I think it's funny...

Folks on here...and pretty much the stated rules go against the starting position that you used yet we don't get any defense from you.

Would like to know your opinion on if we are wrong in our assessment.

Phantom

Hummm.......anyone for Tiddlewinks while we wait......ummmmm Jim. Double or nothing....

Hi Folks,

As slow as I shoot, I still want to do my best. Seeing the TO any time during the stage is distracting. I think this would include hugging any shooter as a starting position. I don't like that idea; too much stuff to get tangled up in. Hugging a soft, stuffed doll would be okay.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived