SASS Wire Forum

Monthy matches= practice matches or do they?

When I started shooting CAS 11 years ago monthy matches in my neck of the woods were very often referred to as "practice mathes". It was explained to me by more than 1 person that we used monthys to get ready for States,Regional,National and World matches. Over the years it seems that monthy matches have turned into something different. Much more serious and much more important to folks. Now this could very much be a regional local thing. But has anybody else noticed this?

You're up awful early on Saturday mornin Deuce. So am I.

I haven't noticed it to the extent that you might have. But one of my shootin Pards rarely attends State and above matches and he tells me that every month, his big match IS the local match. He wants to win GF category and he tries hard. He makes extra efforts of have some of the best eqpt and keep it in top notch working order.

For me, I try to be competitive at the monthly BUT, I try new stuff sometimes at our monthly match. And although I try to make it look good and fast, it don't always turn out right for me.

..........Widder

I think that for a lot of folks, heading to regional or national shoots isn't an option. So I would say that you're right for a lot of shooters local monthly matches is it.

Just my 2 cents.

Frenchy

I've found that I have just as much fun at the locals and I've been consistently disappointed with the regionals and states I've gone too. The Ohio State shoot in Piqua is a good one though I hope to make it this year.

:) Rye

For me I try harder at certain matches each month and sometimes it depends on who is there to compete with.

Some monthly matches I try to make myself smile by the end of a stage

For many of us. A monthly is just that. A practice match.

BUT.

We should not forget. That for some. THAT monthly. may be the biggest one they go to all year.

So i really don't like it when someone says. "it was JUST a monthly match" Because to someone there.

It may not have been JUST a monthly match.

We should not forget that. One reason to go by the rules. Even at JUST a monthly.

Just my opinion.

When I started shooting CAS 11 years ago monthy matches in my neck of the woods were very often referred to as "practice mathes". It was explained to me by more than 1 person that we used monthys to get ready for States,Regional,National and World matches. Over the years it seems that monthy matches have turned into something different. Much more serious and much more important to folks. Now this could very much be a regional local thing. But has anybody else noticed this?

Monthly matches are what I do. With the costs involved and the increased hassle of bigger matches, I'm very happy shooting monthlys at 4 or 5 clubs in my state. I don't like lost brass matches, rank scoring and an atmosphere where the fun is taken away. The 'big' 2 day shoot at the local club is as big as I like. Still friendly and still fun.

Monthly matches are what I do. With the costs involved and the increased hassle of bigger matches, I'm very happy shooting monthlys at 4 or 5 clubs in my state. I don't like lost brass matches, rank scoring and an atmosphere where the fun is taken away. The 'big' 2 day shoot at the local club is as big as I like. Still friendly and still fun.

Hey Beauford, maybe you can try out our 2 day at Firelands this year. 3rd. weekend in June. Check it out on our website:

www.firelandspeacemakers.com

Rye

I do not get to many matches any more but can tell you that here they hold a monthly on the fourth Saturday and a newby/practice match on the second Saturdays of each month.I guess that what each match represents will be up to the shooters and/or the individual shooter. At one area club everything is like practice for a big match while at another everything is more impromptu. One gets complained about by some of the older guys as being a stand and deliver match and the other is not a style appreciated by some competitive shooters. Having more than one option is great unless you are a complainer and refuse one or the other. One could be looked at as teaching discipline and the other teaching versatility, no?

IMO...whether a monthly is considered practice for annuals is up to the individual shooter and the type of stages prevalent at those matches.

I don't believe that regularly shooting "in your face"/huge & close targets will prepare a shooter for a larger match that has smaller targets set out farther.

...neither will engaging mini-targets @ max-recommended range help much unless the annual has them set the same way.

In addition, the tendency for SOME monthly matches to allow "anything goes" regarding equipment and rule enforcement (or lack of same) does the shooters and RO's a disservice.

The excuse of "that's how we do it at our home club" is NOT grounds for a dismissal of penalties at a major annual match.

You've got two audiences in most SASS clubs - the "travelers" and the "locals". Travelers are out going to lots of other clubs, regionals, states and above matches. They stop by the monthly if they are "in town" when it happens. The Locals don't go much of anyplace else. To them, the club AND SASS is ONLY what happens at monthlies and the club annual. To represent SASS well to the locals, the monthly matches and any annual need to be run "to the rules" and "to the spirit" of SASS. And, with enough latitude to make a welcoming atmosphere to visitors and new shooters. If the monthly is "only practice" to most of the shooters, there is a tendency to allow most anything - double shooting stages, shooting out of category, shooting some hard skills like reloads and odd staging of gun, etc.

A great club blends together all the needs of all those shooting, and sends everyone home happy.

Good luck, GJ

For me, monthy matches are the mainstay. I love the bigger regionals too, but they are more expensive, and its not always easy to deal with a 3 day shoot.

Monthlys also tend to allow a little more "flexibility" than a regional does. Granted, I have never been to a monthy that has any side matches, and I don't expect to, but I often see people show up at these things with things like revolving carbines, mare's legs and other weird, "of the era" stuff that are outside of the normal rules, but nobody objects to folks having fun with them. Heck, as often as not, people are asking to try these odd things.

So when all is said and done, while I do try to get to 2 or 3 big shoots a year, I try to get to as many monthlies as possible.

I often tell folks "there's a lot of competition going on that you don't know about." While most people might be able to tell you who the top shooters are, they're failing to notice the heated battle going on in other categories that might not be at or near the top...unless they're involved in a battle of their own. That is true at monthly and larger matches. I guess I'd have to say that from a competitive standpoint, monthly matches aren't as "important" to me, but otherwise they're more important. It's like going to a theater to see a movie, you love the big screen and the surround sound, but the fact is your home T.V. is more important to you.

At a monthly, I still want to shoot a match that is similar to the matches I see when I travel. I've heard some shooters who travel say they want to be able to use monthlies as practice. I'm that way a bit, but mostly I've recognized that the successful go-to matches have certain things in common that people like. Those are the things that have made them successful. I want the people who do not travel to have the same fun experience at home as the travelling folks have when they travel. As much as some would like to think otherwise, people enjoy the same type of matches whether they travel or stay home. Contrary to a somewhat popular belief, travelers are not a different species who likes different things. Fun is fun no matter where you are.

Monthly matches are as much fun as major matches and a whole lot more affordable.

About 7% of the shooters at a major match are actually in the hunt. The rest are assisting with paying for the event and prizes. At the super major matches, about 45% of shooters gets a prize (buckle) of some sort.

Probably 95% of the shooters stay at home.

You go to major matches to see how you stack up with the best in the country. Once you figure that out....and if you are lucky to place well, no body will remember past the next week.,,,, always next time.

Yes, you get to see acquantances from a far, but if you are not on each others posse, then it is a hi/bye type of meeting.

Rules should be enforced rather equally between monthly and majors. Yes, more BOD can be given at monthlies. The more dollar out lay there is to attend a match, then the more it hurts to see/hear about some shooters getting away with rule bendings.

Of course, it is refreshing to get to shoot with more folks (major matches) that are more enthusisactic (sp) and knowledgeable about the sport.

It depends a lot on the match and what I am trying to do. Sometimes I try to compete just like a major match. Other times I am just trying out a gun that has been repaired. Other times I am just there to have fun and don't care how I shoot. Other times I am testing out a new ammo load. When certain freinds show up, I treat it more like a major match trying to beat them. Depending on weather sometimes I just shoot a few stages and go home.

Hi Deuce,

I dress better at annuals. ;)

So many folks can't go to annuals or will just attend one locally. I think they deserve to be entertained just as much at a monthly.

Making excuses for something that went awry by saying it was just a monthly isn't respectful to the entire group. I have heard/read such things. MDs should recognize all comments. That said, monthlies are the perfect time to try new things, learn from feedback, and develop a thick skin.

Back to the original question. Could it be that many of the shooters who have joined during that period are more competitive? :unsure: I have noticed that the fastest of the fast are much faster than they were when I started (it will be 14 years in May). I remember the first time Bud had a 14 second stage, with movement, at an annual, a certain group of fast shooters didn't believe it was possible. Now, no one would question it.

I sure read more resentment about fast shooters than I can remember. IMO, folks who practice and try to excel will do their best at every match, including monthlies, to prepare mentally and physically for a "big time" match. More power to them. As I am physically incapable of joining their ranks, I'll spend my time sewing. :D

Regards,

Allie Mo

Yes, I remember when I started 13 years ago that monthlies used to be refered to as practice matches or the phrase was " it's only a monthly, what does it matter". It ticked me off then and still does. My first 11 years I had to work mostly 6 days a week and I was lucky to shoot 1 or 2 monthlies each month, so they where very important to me, thats all I had. I think that's the way for alot of shooters that don't have the time, money etc to travel, then and now.

I do believe the "attitude" of the monthlies has changed over the years; they're more important than they used to be. The local shoots around here follow all the SASS rules, and the MD's in the area try to make all the shoots different and interesting for the locals, knowing, for alot of them; thats all they've got.

I remember having to beg the boss for some time off to shoot a few state and regionals that we have in the area. Lucky for me that I didn't have to travel far for them or I couldn't have shot them either.

I've since been retired for the past 2 years and have gotten around alittle more to shoot then I used to but the monthlies are still important!!

Just my view from the saddle.........

Red Eye

The annuals are a big thing in our area. I try to make as many of those as possible. Some get pretty elaborate in props and awards.

There are usually people from at least 3 other clubs at the monthly matchs I go to.

The monthlies are run strickly by sass rules.

I shot the fl state championships this year and will shoot the ga state championships this year but that will be it for larger matches.

One thing i learnt bout 5 yrs or so ago, do NOT tell your local club that they are ONLY practice for big matches,,,,especially iffn your one of the few that does get to travel to other shoots. I once was nearly lynched for taking a P on a stage on purpose because I wanted to practice something that would be done at a large shoot I was leaving for soon after that match...

lesson learnt? Iffn you are using the local match as practice, keep you mouth shut!

CPBC

I have the good fortune to shoot with some of the best cowboy shooters on the planet. Not only are they the best in ability, but in all respects of "the cowboy way".

I think it's more of "pride/braggin rights" thing at a monthly. Do folks use them as a practice match, sure they do. Nothing wrong with that. I go to every match expecting to shoot my best, on occasion (not lately) that happens. One thing about a monthly, if you crash-n-burn on a stage.....you don't have to regret the hotel, long travel or food bills. Everyone goes to Monthlies, States, Regionals, Nationals and Worlds for their own different reasons. I don't care why they go to the monthly match.......all I know is that they are supporting the local clubs.

CS

At a monthly match, I'm trying to beat myself.

At an annual or state level match, I'm trying to beat somebody else. ;):lol:

I call pretty much any match a "practice" match because I don't practice. It's a joke, I say, a joke, son. I go to a match, shoot, have a good time and if I'm lucky I learned something to make me a little better/faster for the next match. I'd love to be able to shoot 1000+ rounds a week to practice up for the next shoot, but I don't have the time, money or place to do it.

I don't mean to imply any one match is less important than another. BTW, I only manage to go to about one multi-day match per year and, lately, only 3 or 4 monthly matches.

Angus

The shooter has paid their shooting fees and has every right to approach the match with the mindset they choose.

Deadly serious, completely carefree and jovial, or practice session.

And when I hear "It's just a monthly" or "Its just practice" come from a shooter - its fine, because they made that decision for themselves.

But when I hear the same thing or "Well, I would never do that sequence/ movement/ target array in an annual, but in a monthly its fine." from a club or match director - I find it insulting.

To me, it conveys the impression (warranted or not) that a monthly deserves less thought/ effort/ critical exam or shooter accolades than an annual.

For some shooters - the monthly is the pinnacle of their cowboy action shooting experiences and they deserve the same quality product as in an annual.

If the shooter chooses to attach less importance to any match - that is their choice.

But the club or match director should never diminish any match by "Its just a monthly" or "Its just practice" as they dont know how much significance the shooter has attached to it.

For many of us. A monthly is just that. A practice match.

BUT.

We should not forget. That for some. THAT monthly. may be the biggest one they go to all year.

So i really don't like it when someone says. "it was JUST a monthly match" Because to someone there.

It may not have been JUST a monthly match.

We should not forget that. One reason to go by the rules. Even at JUST a monthly.

Just my opinion.

+1 :)

Ghost (Who practices to win each time he shoots)

A match is a match, regardless of level. They have no more importance than what the shooter assigns to it.

The shooter has paid their shooting fees and has every right to approach the match with the mindset they choose.

Deadly serious, completely carefree and jovial, or practice session.

And when I hear "It's just a monthly" or "Its just practice" come from a shooter - its fine, because they made that decision for themselves.

But when I hear the same thing or "Well, I would never do that sequence/ movement/ target array in an annual, but in a monthly its fine." from a club or match director - I find it insulting.

To me, it conveys the impression (warranted or not) that a monthly deserves less thought/ effort/ critical exam or shooter accolades than an annual.

For some shooters - the monthly is the pinnacle of their cowboy action shooting experiences and they deserve the same quality product as in an annual.

If the shooter chooses to attach less importance to any match - that is their choice.

But the club or match director should never diminish any match by "Its just a monthly" or "Its just practice" as they dont know how much significance the shooter has attached to it.

I really like these two replies! The shooter deserves an honest effort from the MD of any match they attend and matches have whatever significance the shooter attaches too them. I'm always in it to win it, but I do tend to only try new stuff at monthlies.

First let me say congratulations Duce on a great Winter Range. I shot behind you in the rain and snow at the speed rifle your 1.73 made my 2.3 which was as good as I’m likely to do seem feeble in comparison.

Garrison Joe and Buck Law said it very well. In Utah there may not be as many traveling shooters as some places but the local competition is fierce and for the most part friendly. Utah had three shooters in the top 25 at Winter Range and another five or six that are as good or better that stayed at home. That makes for lively competition at the weekly match because bragging rights are up for grabs. It’s the attitude of most shooters that I’m around they seem to enjoy it when anyone shoots well. I don’t seem to encounter those matches were the fun is taken away or were there is a lot of complaining. It could be that I’m having such a good time that I don’t hear it but I don’t think so too many of our people go out of their way to make CAS fun. This year at Winter Range I was sick and hurting the posse was wonderful in assisting me to do the very best I could do. We could laugh at our mistakes and cry at our disasters but always with not at each other. So it's hard for me to tell the difference between the club matches and the "BIG" matches except that the familar faces change.

Please explain how somebody can throttle down for a monthly and still be any good at a bigger match.

I try to shoot the best I know how everytime the buzzer sounds. A stage is a stage regardless of whether it is at a monthly or something bigger. If I try harder than I can shoot, I screw up, but if I try to throttle back I am really not doing anything to improve my shooting. You only get to shoot so many competitive stages in a year. You might as well try to shoot all of them to the best of your ability.

It depends on who is attending the Monthly...

Yep! Normally I care less at a monthly, however sometimes I'm dead serious when So & So shows up. For me its a Labor ta try an shoot good, it takes a toll to tha point its like work or even worse. Seldom do I do well at monthlys

RRR

Please explain how somebody can throttle down for a monthly and still be any good at a bigger match.

Lots of the top shooters can throttle their stage speed by quite a bit. Several I know run 100% at monthlies and practice sessions, then throttle back to about 85-90% at major matches, especially the Rank Point scored matches and where big bragging rights are on the line. Some at side matches even run flat out plus some, when they get several runs through a speed event. Establish a good time running smooth and fast, then see if that really is the 100% limit. Top shooters are rarely surprised at their times, and can just about tell you the time before the TO reads it off.

If you never try to run at your limit or just over it, you really never know where your limit is, and you may not be able to improve beyond where you think your limit is.

Good luck, GJ

Lots of the top shooters can throttle their stage speed by quite a bit. Several I know run 100% at monthlies and practice sessions, then throttle back to about 85-90% at major matches, especially the Rank Point scored matches and where big bragging rights are on the line. Some at side matches even run flat out plus some, when they get several runs through a speed event. Establish a good time running smooth and fast, then see if that really is the 100% limit. Top shooters are rarely surprised at their times, and can just about tell you the time before the TO reads it off.

If you never try to run at your limit or just over it, you really never know where your limit is, and you may not be able to improve beyond where you think your limit is.

Good luck, GJ

Good advice from Joe. While I'm not a top shooters I do this. From other action shooting sports I picked up the adage "to learn to shoot fast you have to shoot fast." I often have more misses at local matches than major matches because I'm pushing myself. Over time this has helped my performance.

Local matches are also where I prove new equipment. Any new firearm, ammunition or leather must have several months of sucessful use at local matches before use at a major match. I only use proven warhorses at major matches.

One thing i learnt bout 5 yrs or so ago, do NOT tell your local club that they are ONLY practice for big matches,,,,especially iffn your one of the few that does get to travel to other shoots. I once was nearly lynched for taking a P on a stage on purpose because I wanted to practice something that would be done at a large shoot I was leaving for soon after that match...

lesson learnt? Iffn you are using the local match as practice, keep you mouth shut!

CPBC

You have to practice taking a P???? Why Cheyenne I thought you was house broke! :lol: Rye

A match is a match, regardless of level. They have no more importance than what the shooter assigns to it.

Bingo! We follow all SASS rules at our monthly matches, although I will look the other way during extremes of heat or cold, which we rarely get. I am a strong believer in communication, and if I see an extreme in the weather before our match, I send out an email to the shooters saying the clothing police are off duty. Common sense demands this if you want to have a happy, healthy club. We do. We have a lot of people in our club who are competitive with their buddy, so they take it pretty serious. They could care less how they finish overall, as long as they beat their buddy. As others have stated, some folks NEVER go beyond the local level, so you owe it to them to provide a fair, fun match following SASS rules. But you also have to use common sense as when to bend the rules. Never compromise on safety, but if it is 20 degrees outside and all they have is a Carhartt insulated coat, who the hell cares if they wear it but some hard ass? At annuals and above it is by the book for us.

Archived