SASS Wire Forum

Is there anything that hurts worse

Oak Ridge Regulator

As I've said before, trailer hitches are gods way of showing you where your shin is. Ouch! I can feel it from here! Damn

Merry Christmas Oakridge to you Space Cowgirl and Neo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finding an opened Airstream window with your forehead, stitches required.

IMG_4704.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

I can think of hundreds of things that hurt more and don't involve trailer hitches.......and at one time or another I've found a large percentage of them myself.

I thought my scars were fading away.  A nurse at the VA suggested that they are simply running together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

KIDNEY STONES!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

I'd vote for catching a fastball in the Jimmy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I'd vote for catching a fastball in the Jimmy.

Or a medicine ball....  :wacko:  :blink:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, T.K. said:

KIDNEY STONES!

Plus 847 Billion.

I have lived a somewhat active life and paid for it over time.

Football, wrestling, motorcycle accidents, car accidents.

I have broken ankles, my nose a couple times, ribs, wrists and my orbital socket.

Destroyed my knees, torn muscles and had my eyes flash burned in a welding mishap.

I have had multiple hernias and had an intestinal rupture.

Ya know when you hurt yourself or you're sick and the Dr./ Nurse asks your "pain number"?

I thought I had a pretty good handle on that pain scale - I knew what zero feels like and I figured that while there had to be worse pains than I had experienced - I probably understood up to an eight or a nine.

When I had kidney stones - I had to completely reevaluate my understanding of whole body, brain melting, soul crushing agony.

Everything else that I had ever experienced was automatically pushed down a peg or two because I had just discovered a new high end.

Everything else (that I have experienced) - you bite down, suck in deep breaths, attempt to mentally focus.

I only time I have ever passed out was from dehydration during two a days football practice in a humid Michigan summer with a coach who believed with holding water was a training tool.

So I had never experienced my body going traitor and shutting down on me solely from pain - Kidney stones nearly made that happen.

I woke up feeling poorly and was debating between going to work or calling in sick. By the time I had dropped off Desert Scorpion at school; that debate had progressed to going home or going to Quick Care.

Quickly after that - it became Quick Care or an Emergency room and after that - it was simply a question of whether I made it to the Emergency room.

I ran every stop sign and redlight driving because my brain had already recognized, If I stopped - I would pass out.

I walked into the Emergency room and was asked what was wrong; apparently when a 6 ft 250lb man with tears streaming down his face says simply "I don't know" and falls - the medical profession reacts.

I would not wish Kidney stones upon my worst enemy.

Not on Democrats, not on Tik Tokers, not on the Philadelphia Eagles, not on George Santos or onto California drivers.

Tho I will tell you that drugs are an amazing thing.  :wub:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Like @Creeker, SASS #43022 I have had lots of injuries and have the scars to prove it, but I have never had kidney stones because I drink lots of water every and have for years. 
But I had an injury pain that totally made realize that what I thought was a 10 on the pain scale really wasn’t.
The day the 4 ribs from vertebra T6 down became separated at their breaks and two of them punctured my left lung near my spine. 
Glory Hallelujah! Was that the most incredible sensation I have ever had. Intense pain the like I hadn’t experienced before. 
I had a bike crash Thursday. The folks at the ghetto hospital called St Francis in Los Angeles sent me home with some painkillers and said I would be fine. 
Saturday after a shower the ribs popped free as I reached for a towel. 
I went to the ER and ended up having rib plating surgery and nifty tubes running out of me to drain various fluids the were where they shouldn’t be. 

I used to consider whacking my shin on a trailer hitch to be really really painful. I was wrong. It is painful, but it’s no longer at the top of my list. ;)

@Pat Riot

I have gone on a water kick as well.

For health and to wean myself off my soda addiction (and hopefully drop a few pounds).

And I fully agree ribs are nasty and mine were simple breaks.

My Dr. informed me that Kidney Stones are as much a product of dehydration as the things you drink.

His example was a cup of coffee (probably not a perfect analog - but understandable) - as long as it has liquid in the cup; the coffee remains dissolved and in suspension - easy to pour out.  But let the liquid evaporate and you are left with a crusty material in the cup.

In the human body - this crusty material can bond together and then need to pass; as he phrased it, "now you get to push a ninja throwing star thru a drinking straw".

Stay on the water everyone.

Avoid trailer hitches and Kidney Stones.

And let's all have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Jolly Kwanza, Fabulous Festivus, (or whatever your failth, family or beliefs dictate) with a Happy New Year and a healthy 2024 for all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

The ladies may have a different opinion.....

Texas Lizard

Yup, that's always the comeback from the ladies.

Kidney stones?  Ha!  You aint felt nothing until you've pushed a human out of your happy spot.

But heres the thing - a while after a woman has given birth; a few months, a year or two - they will start talking about doing it again.

You aint never going to find a man on the planet that would ever voluntarily do kidney stones again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yup, that's always the comeback from the ladies.

Kidney stones?  Ha!  You aint felt nothing until you've pushed a human out of your happy spot.

But heres the thing - a while after a woman has given birth; a few months, a year or two - they will start talking about doing it again.

You aint never going to find a man on the planet that would ever voluntarily do kidney stones again.

Here's the thing:  I know a few women who have done both.  And to a person, they've all told me that they'd FAR rather deliver another child than experience 'stones again.  AND they all have said "Oh!  And it's gotta be MUCH worse for you men!"  

Hm.  I just remembered something... we used to have a participant here in the Saloon (ACS) with the alias "Kid Kneestone."  Haven't seen 'im in years ~ I truly hope he didn't succumb!  :huh:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

The ladies may have a different opinion.....

Texas Lizard

A friend of ours has had 4 babies and 2 kidney stones. She emphatically says that she would much rather have the babies than the stones...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Crucifixion after being whipped is probably worse than a shin to the trailer hitch.

Most likely true - but that one really famous guy kinda knew he was gonna make it thru ok.

It helps to have connections.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Kidney stones definitely defy the 1-10 pain chart. Don't ever want to do that ever,ever again. Hands down the worst pain I ever dealt with,period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Warning of graphic description ~ if of a sensitive nature read no further!

As delicately as I can describe it... my first experience was while standing at the "facility" in the men's room at work.  Suddenly, it was as if the devil himself had thrown a "bolwing ball hold" on me with a huge, red-hot iron hand and gripped with all his might.  I thought the top of my head was going to lift off, and seriously thought I was going to stroke out and that my last conscious experience on this Earth would be hitting the linoleum.  

Fortunately, *ahem*, it did pass.  

I have also learned that the ER staff takes 'em seriously.  I have also learned that morphine has interesting effects.  Did you know that some music has colors and some scents actually have patterns, like plaid and paisley~?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Hm.  I just remembered something... we used to have a participant here in the Saloon (ACS) with the alias "Kid Kneestone."  Haven't seen 'im in years ~ I truly hope he didn't succumb!  :huh:

Kid Kneestone is still upright & mobile! 

• Thanks 2

Yes. But I can’t share here. Not a kidney stone and it is recurring medical condition, and I will probably have to deal with it til I’m dead.  It knocked me unconscious on one occasion. All of the others times I wish it had. I’ll leave it at that.

Treatment in a burn unit when they start peeling off dead flesh I’ve heard tops about everything.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Warning of graphic description ~ if of a sensitive nature read no further!

As delicately as I can describe it... my first experience was while standing at the "facility" in the men's room at work.  Suddenly, it was as if the devil himself had thrown a "bolwing ball hold" on me with a huge, red-hot iron hand and gripped with all his might.  I thought the top of my head was going to lift off, and seriously thought I was going to stroke out and that my last conscious experience on this Earth would be hitting the linoleum.  

Fortunately, *ahem*, it did pass.  

I have also learned that the ER staff takes 'em seriously.  I have also learned that morphine has interesting effects.  Did you know that some music has colors and some scents actually have patterns, like plaid and paisley~?  :rolleyes:

I have seen music in technicolor when they morphined me for a kidney stone....then they did a roto-router surgery on me at the same time and I spent almost a year with a Foley catheter.

It's a toss up between kidney stones and broken ribs.

• Thanks 1

"Remember that when you catch yourself in your zipper, anything you do, including nothing, will hurt."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Yes. But I can’t share here. Not a kidney stone and it is recurring medical condition, and I will probably have to deal with it til I’m dead.  It knocked me unconscious on one occasion. All of the others times I wish it had. I’ll leave it at that.

Treatment in a burn unit when they start peeling off dead flesh I’ve heard tops about everything.

I spent a summer in bandages, in and out of a burn unit. My siblings remember that year. I do not. I remember falling in the fire, the look on my mothers face running up to me, and that pain is white and tastes like metal. 

All joking aside, having an inmate throw scalding hot bleach in my face was about the worst I have ever hurt. Thank God other officers were with me fighting the fire and shoved a fire hose in my face.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Than walking around your pickup truck in 10 degree weather in the dark and driving your shin into the trailer hitch ?

ohhhhhhhh , i can only think of a couple that hurt that much that you get up and walk away from , thats no fun to be sure 

i will come back to add i know a little of the burns as my wife spend time with the debreading - i took her to the hospital , never want tpo hear that again , but she didnt walk away from the incident as i have when i caught my trailer hitch in any weather , totally different thing 

Edited by watab kid
  • Sad 1