SASS Wire Forum

Best 12ga Wad for Black Powder

Skullbone Willie

Is there a particular wad that’s better for fffg Black Powder ? I have thousands of Claybuster 1oz, 7/8oz and 3/4oz and they seem to melt easily coating the inside of my barrels which in turn make cleaning a total PITA. I’m wanting to load a 1oz load. I have thousands of Old AA’s, AAHS and Remington STS

Video is APP

Skullbone Willie

I've been using the pink claybuster 1oz wad with 3.1 cc FFF ( abt 42gr by weight ) , 1oz #8. 

The only way I know to avoid the plastic mess is to use card and cushion/fiber wads.  Just build the stack that makes the load fit.  When patterned I couldn’t tell the difference from Winchester red wads.

I’ve used fiber and cardboard and also plastic. Plastic is easier and not too hard to clean in my opinion. I spray the barrels down with winder with vinegar and a stainless tornado brush. Only takes a few passes with the brush and a few with a patch 

I agree with @Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 .  For me, the extra few mins of cleaning (right after the match, I might add) was less of a PITA than loading fiber wads, cards, etc.  Although, I will say, that the fiber wads felt more “period correct” with the smoky stuff.  I should also add that I have only used APP, not real black.  All of the various plastic wads I’ve used end up the same way. 

Soak with your favorite bore cleaner, a couple passes with a tornado brush, then proceed as normal, in my opinion. 

Have fun out there!

JJ

I use PAM (hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and Murphy's oil soap) mix to clean.   Spray from a bottle down the tubes.  Wait 5 minutes.  Fold 1/4 of a paper towel and push that down each bore with rod and jag.  Spotless, and the oil soap protects the clean steel of the barrel from rusting!   Lots safer than vinegar - will never take the bluing off.  And the mix will clean and polish the wood, too.  Don't even need a brush if the paper patch is snug. 

For me, it's less work than cleaning smokeless, less smelly, and certainly easier loading and tighter patterns than with fiber wads.

good luck, GJ

I have been using the Gray 7/8oz clay buster wads for years & years with real Goex BP and APP .

A spray of ballastal down the barrels and one paper towel down each barrel and it's clean .

Not hard at all .

Rooster 

I use plastic wads with BP and APP. Cleanup is easy.

1. Run or squirt water down barrel. (Loosens fouling, washes some debris right out.)

2. Bore snake the barrel.

3. Spray Ballistol down barrel.

4. Bore snake barrel again. Pulls everything right out.

5. Repeat if necessary.

Shotgun is easiest and quickest to clean of all guns.

I have gone to roll crimping and using a nitro card...a cushion wad...and over shot card. Not hard and no plastic in the barrels. Might take longer to load...but kind of fun too. I use a roll crimper in a drill press. I have been using 2F APP in shotgun. 1oz square load. The contention of my posse at Land Run was that I was definitely making the smoke factor

As others have said, for APP right after the last stage is done I take a 1/2 sheets of a paper towel, wad it up and stuff it in the chambers then give each barrel about 5 or 6 sprays of moose milk from the muzzle.  By the time I get back to the truck to pack up I can push the wadded up towels out each barrel which cleans the plastic wad right out.  Then I follow up with straight Ballistol to get the moose milk out and prevent rust.  Done.  Much easier to clean than smokeless IMHO.  

This cleaning method works well with the Claybuster wads I use in my loads.

I use pink wad an clean using hot water and a bore snake. I take a snake along and pour water down tubes and use bore snake after each stage. 

Don't fall in the doughnut hole!

I use 10 gauge wads in Magtech 12 gauge brass hulls. 

599eb87ed8ad9_ShotpatternAug2017.jpg.b549865261d8d352ac1732c18022ab7b.jpg

I also use the Windex w/vinegar. Spay in both ends of the tubes and cork. Rotate a couple times while cleaning something else. Pull the corks, push a 1/4 sheet of paper towel down from the breach, usually all clean and shiny! I do keep the Windex off the bluing as some have said it will damage it, I haven't had any issue. The plastic comes out like one big accordioned snake.

I shoot real black 3F.

PLUS ONE for Garrison Joe.  Keeping it simple.  I use a little squirt bottle with PAM.  Spray down the barrels, wait a minute or two, wrap a bore brush with a quarter sheet of Blue Paper Towel, done.  I also load Magtech All Brass 12Ga and found fiber wads blew holes in the patterns.  My favorite wad is a Ballistic Products Spitfire wad for a One Ounce pay load.  Next is a BP 1044 wad, but then you have to cut down the petals (PITA).  "Snake Skin" is really easy to get out and clean-up is easier than with smokeless by far. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Garrison Joe.  Keeping it simple.  I use a little squirt bottle with PAM.  Spray down the barrels, wait a minute or two, wrap a bore brush with a quarter sheet of Blue Paper Towel, done.  I also load Magtech All Brass 12Ga and found fiber wads blew holes in the patterns.  My favorite wad is a Ballistic Products Spitfire wad for a One Ounce pay load.  Next is a BP 1044 wad, but then you have to cut down the petals (PITA).  "Snake Skin" is really easy to get out and clean-up is easier than with smokeless by far. 

I think I use about an ounce and 1/8 shot - no wad trimming.  You could put a wad in bottom of cup or a couple of dried beans to take up space. 

When I used plastic wads in my Black Powder shotgun loads, I always kept a couple of smokeless rounds in my cart for after the day’s shooting.

I’d use a few squirts of Windex down the barrels and then load the smokeless rounds and fire them down range! A squirt of Balistol and a swipe with a clean patch of paper towel and I’m done.

Less than two minutes, including a final wipe down!

EDIT: I have a large supply of fiber wads for both ten and twelve gauge shells, (nine and eleven gauge for use in my brass shells) and they don’t require much extra effort because they don’t leave much of any kind of residue.

Chancy's Gamer Load:     

7/8 Oz. of 7-1/2 shot

WAA12L (Gray) or CB4100-12B

47 Gr. - FFg

As far as cleaning, I separate the barrels from the receiver.  Then put corks in both muzzles.  Add hot water until full.  Go clean the other guns and the receiver.  Pull the plugs and the water rushing out pulls all the gray snot.  A 1/4 sheet of paper towel down both barrels, then Ballistol on another 1/4 paper towel. Reassemble.

Chancy

35 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

When I used plastic wads in my Black Powder shotgun loads, I always kept a couple of smokeless rounds in my cart for after the day’s shooting.

I’d use a few squirts of Windex down the barrels and then load the smokeless rounds and fire them down range! A squirt of Balistol and a swipe with a clean patch of paper towel and I’m done.

Less than two minutes, including a final wipe down!

EDIT: I have a large supply of fiber wads for both ten and twelve gauge shells, (nine and eleven gauge for use in my brass shells) and they don’t require much extra effort because they don’t leave much of any kind of residue.

I'll have to try that. Are you just shooting one smokeless in each barrel? 

I use AA hulls, A Claybuster CB1138-12 wad (since Winchester discontinued its WAA12R wad), and Winchester or Federal primers with ~40 grains of Goex "Cartridge".  Been using this formula since mid 1986, although powder charge has dropped in recent months.  After removing the bbl assy, I clean my barrel by running hot tap water thru the barrel and using a nylon brush covered with a patch.  One swipe and I'm done until my next patch with oil on it.  Dry the outside and a light coat of rust preventative and store in safe until next outing.  Nothing magic about it.  I shot a cowboy match this past weekend with that same Stoeger coach gun in bought in 1986.  No problems.  

I shoot 1F real BP, about 45 grains, 7/8 oz shot.  

If I use a plastic wad it is Claybuster pink.

I prefer to use a card wad over the powder and fiber wads with an overshot card, just in case it's needed.

Cleanup is simple with the plastic wad.  Cork the barrels, put in 5 squirts of Simple Green and fill with water.  Then clean the other 3 guns.  Then run a wad of paper towel through the shotgun bores and it's done.

With the fiber wads I just run a bore snake then a patch with Ballistol and it's done.

Neither wad requires any attention during the match.  I'll shoot 10 stages in 2 days and clean it later during the week.

This is one of my old posts from CAS City with my favorite loads. I quit using the Win AA hulls and use only STS hulls now. I only have about 3,000 left after I bought out one of our retiring members:D Good Luck:)

1 1/8oz - 54-57gr ffg with BPI short wad #72SSW..........my favorite for big matches ;)
Short Shell #72SSW 
1oz - 48-50gr ffg with BPI Helix Driver #18.......another big match fav
Helix #18
7/8oz - 43-45gr ffg with Win Pink wad AA12SL (CB1100-12).......my local fav ;D
WAA12SSL
7/8oz - 45-47gr ffg with BPI Helix Driver #21......works good with the new two piece AA hulls
Helix #21

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

MagTec brass shell, 90gr of Goex Fg, nitro card, 1/2”fiber wad, nitro card, 1 1/4 oz of 4 or 5 shot, nitro card slight roll crimp to lock it all down. Sounds like a heavy shell, but it historically for 12G loaded with BP it’s midpoint or slightly under. 

7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I'll have to try that. Are you just shooting one smokeless in each barrel? 

Yeah!  I will usually fire the cheapest hot smokeless stuff I can find. A box will last a dozen five or six stage days.

If I notice excessive fouling during the day, I’ll run a brush in the chambers between stages so that the empties will shuck.

White claybusters, shooting 80 gr fffg Schutzen and 1⅛oz 7.5. Directly after the shoot, i throw a couple squirts of 70/30 water and Ballistol down the barrels to keep it wet, as I usually have about a 2-3 hour drive home. Get home, run hot water down the barrels for about 30 sec each, one pass with a bore snake, lube with Ballistol on a patch and done. About three minutes start to finish. 

On 11/7/2023 at 11:39 AM, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

Chancy's Gamer Load:     

7/8 Oz. of 7-1/2 shot

47 Gr. - FFg

As far as cleaning, I separate the barrels from the receiver.  Then put corks in both muzzles.  Add hot water until full.  Go clean the other guns and the receiver.  Pull the plugs and the water rushing out pulls all the gray snot.  A 1/4 sheet of paper towel down both barrels, then Ballistol on another 1/4 paper towel. Reassemble.

Chancy

This.  I put a drop of Dawn dishwashing detergent in the water, but corks work. You get them at the hardware store for a few cents each.  Rubber #4 fits both ends of a 12 gauge.  Dismount the barrels first, fill (or put a little bit in and slosh it around) with soapy water (or Ballistol water if you are away from running water) and give it time to soak the snot out, while cleaning the rest of your guns.  Cleaning melted plastic out is easy if you give the solvent of your choice time to work.

On 11/7/2023 at 11:39 AM, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

Chancy's Gamer Load:     

7/8 Oz. of 7-1/2 shot

47 Gr. - FFg

Chancy

This has worked for me for 15 years. Do not fill to chamber top, just about half way up chamber. Otherwise you may get water down extractor which may cause rust all the way down the ribs.

Before people started trying to download as much as possible, a fairly standard load many of us used for years (and I still do) is ~60gr of BP (4.3cc scoop), red Win or Claybuster wad mentioned above, 1 to 1 1/8 oz shot, in a AA or STS or Nitro hull.  I load mine on a Load-All (except for dipping the powder).  I've used Fg, FFg, and FFFg, but prefer Fg for more flame.

My cleaning regimen is to take the barrels off, spray moosemilk or pretty much anything wet down the bores, lay them horizontal over the kitchen trash can with newspaper underneath on the floor in case any drips out of the ends.  I turn it a couple times while cleaning pistols so the liquid inside gets to all the fouling.  Wadded paper towels pushed through.  Occasionally need to repeat.  

Before I put my guns away at the range, I spray Ballistol down the bores and cylinders of all guns, plus a very light spray on the outside which I wipe off.  This makes it that much easier to clean, whether I get to it that day or weeks later.

It is worth repeating that older shotguns may pattern better with fiber wads, but modern made guns pattern better with plastic.  If in doubt (or if you miss a lot :)), pattern your loads.

Soak with water/soap mixture, let sit a minute or so and use a spiral type Tornado brush. easy peasy.

4 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Before people started trying to download as much as possible, a fairly standard load many of us used for years (and I still do) is ~60gr of BP (4.3cc scoop), red Win or Claybuster wad mentioned above, 1 to 1 1/8 oz shot, in a AA or STS or Nitro hull.  I load mine on a Load-All (except for dipping the powder).  I've used Fg, FFg, and FFFg, but prefer Fg for more flame.

I use this load too and don't mind the recoil.  At Bordertown recently there were four SG targets spaced closely where only one SG shell was required.  The right two targets partially overlapped and I easily felled them with one shot.  Others with lighter loads did not succeed.  At EOT this year on one stage the SG targets were distant.  LNLR recoil SG shells did not tip them reliably.  This load was reliable.

CB-1138-12 wad, over a 12 gage 1/8 nitro fiber "over powder" wad.

4.3cc shot of choice.

3.7cc BP sub propellant of choice. (Triple Se7en, or APP 2F for a lighter load.)

Not too much plastic fouling after six stages. Patterns well in a 1990s or 2000s Stoeger. Knocks plates solidly with 777, and adequately with APP.

On 11/6/2023 at 10:36 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I use PAM (hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and Murphy's oil soap) mix to clean.   Spray from a bottle down the tubes.  Wait 5 minutes.  Fold 1/4 of a paper towel and push that down each bore with rod and jag.  Spotless, and the oil soap protects the clean steel of the barrel from rusting!   Lots safer than vinegar - will never take the bluing off.  And the mix will clean and polish the wood, too.  Don't even need a brush if the paper patch is snug. 

For me, it's less work than cleaning smokeless, less smelly, and certainly easier loading and tighter patterns than with fiber wads.

good luck, GJ

1:1:1 on the H202 Isopropyl and murphys mix??

That's what is commonly recommended, and what I use, too.

Probably could cut the Murphy's soap back, but then it won't smell so good!

Only mix what you will use over a week.  Store out of sunlight or use opaque containers. 

good luck, GJ

A rolled crimp really helps to fine tune the wad column irregularities.  It also tends to make them SG shells look more period correct.  Hard to hide the pink, green or red plastic shells.

When reloading supplies were hard to find a few years back, I would take whatever shot cup held the load I wanted and would cut the cushion in half.  Give the wad a 90 degree twist when reloading the shell and roll crimp it.  Really had troubles getting rid of the donnut shaped pattern with fiber wads.   If needed the plastic wad will usually tighten up your pattern one degree of choke.

Out of curiosity I was able to put my load of 90gr of Fg Goex, Nitro card, Fiber wad, Nitro card1 1/4 oz shot, Nitro card on the pattern board, and at 20 yards it patterns almost identical to Winchester AA, or at least close enough you wouldn’t shoot the difference. 

Archived