SASS Wire Forum

Mashed Potatoes

I like red potatoes mashed, unpeeled.

I was going to post on this topic so thanks for raising it.  I like mashed potatoes not smashed potatoes.  Peel is garbarge.  If I wanted to eat garbage I would stay home.  I HATE it when I go to a restaurant and they serve me garbage.

I don't like mashed potatoes. The texture. You can dice up and boil some potatoes and serve them with butter on top of them and that's fine. You can fry them you can bake them. Make cold salad out of them.

Because all of that stuff I have to chew.

Mashed potatoes is like potato flavored applesauce. Yuck.

New potatoes, scrubbed, sliced and steamed are my favourite, but peeled and mashed are good too.

Sadly, due to declining kidney function, I'm on rice now.

*Hard on one of Irish descent!

I like unpeeled red potatoes many ways. 

I enjoy mashed Idaho potatoes using à food mill.

Russets I peel, but will deep fry the peels. 

Thin skinned waxy potatoes I'll usually not peel.

Sometimes with red or gold potatoes I'll dice them into bite sized pieces, boil, then drain.   Put 'em back in the pot and back on the fire to dry them out some.  Throw in lots of butter, some salt and pepper, and some herbs.  Then put the lid on and shake the heck out of the pot, sideways, up and down, invert it and shake it.  That breaks up the edges and corners for a creamy texture, but leaves a nice bite in the center.

I grew up bein' told "all the vitamins are in the peel!"

True or not, I like 'em unpeeled.  And the 'skins with trimmings.

Don' matter much... ain't allowed to eat 'em anymore anyhow.  :mellow:

The peel has good fiber.

I like my mashed potatoes either way, peeled or unpeeled. It actually depends on what potatoes I am using. Smooth waxy skin - peeled. Brown rough skin - unpeeled. 
Come to think of it, I love potatoes in all manner of recipes. 

Close to forty years ago I was hunting up in northern california's Siskiyou County.  It had been a looong day, and I was hiking back to the ranch headquarters where Hank and I were staying.  Anyway, I carrying my Arisaka Type 99, and a day pack with necessities and a canteen.  But nothing to munch on - and I was hungry.

I finally realized that I was skirting a potato field!  And I'm here to tell you, a fresh, dug-up, raw spud made an appreciated snack.  Peel and all.  ^_^

(I did get a buck the next day :rolleyes:)

russets i peel… reds or golds i don’t bother 

however i love adding just enough wasabi (perfect with a rare slab of prime rib)

I like potatoes mashed, peeled and un-peeled, but just a bit of butter in there, not a bunch of milk, takes away all the texture.

When I was a kid my Mom mostly did baked potatoes (less work, 5 kids) . My Dad taught us to carefully remove the potato from the peel, and after finishing the potato, put a bunch of butter in there and eat it too. I still like to do that, but my kids think I am crazy.

Grew up eating the peel, because it's food and them starvin' kids in China would be danged glad to have that bit that I thought I was too good to eat.

Now? Heck yes, I'll eat the peel. Boil some small reds, half-smash 'em a bit, drench 'em with butter and garlic, bake a bit and broil 'em a bit. A little parmesan sprinkled on for variety once in a while.

Or take some golds, slice 'em about a quarter inch, home fry 'em in a skillet with bacon drippins and a bit of salt and pepper. 

But mashed taters? I'll pass. 

I like potatoes any way you make-’em! Mashed is my favorite. Did you ever try Bob Evans mashed potatoes? They’re great! They’re in the grocery store. 1 1/2,minutes in the microwave!

2 minutes ago, Pb Mark said:

Red potatoes only.  Peel open the pouch, pour into two cups boiling water, stir and serve. 

Those are excellent, can't even tell they came in a package.

8 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Come to think of it, I love potatoes in all manner of recipes. 

The only way of fixing potatoes that I didn't like was the trend in the '80s of everyone serving mashed potatoes with nutmeg.  Not a tiny hint of nutmeg, but NUTMEG!!!!!

My preferred way is baked.  Not foil wrapped and baked, just baked. Put in the oven when you just turn it on, and cooked at 400 F for an hour.  Skins get nice and crispy, inside soft and fluffy.  Some butter, salt, and pepper, eat the flesh, then more butter, salt, pepper, with cheddar cheese and chopped bacon on the skins. 

Next is hash browns (or as one of my Jewish friends called them, "Goyish Latkes).

The best potato is the one in my plate.  I like potatoes regardless of how they might be cooked.

STL Suomi

I do like potato skins with a bit of cheddar cheese and bacon bits - all the good groups of food - vegetable, dairy, meat - and maybe a vitamin supplement - Guinness stout.

For mashed potatoes, I prefer Russets, peeled with butter, garlic salt, salt, pepper and a hint of sour cream mixed in. I'll eat them with peels on if that's how they're served.

My favorite potato side is scalloped potatoes. Somewhat of a chore to prepare and make but well worth the effort at the end.

As far as instant type potatoes, Sam's Club carries a brand called Idahoan Red Premium mashed potatoes. Comes in a large red paper milk carton container. Since it's just me and my gal, we mainly make these unless we have company. Pretty good actually.

With or without the skin, butter of course.  Best trick, if you like garlic mashed is from Pepin.  Peel the potatoes and add peeled rough chopped garlic to the water.  When the potatoes are cooked, drain, add butter salt & pepper and mash.  Perfect every time.  My wife grows our potatoes.  I teased her about it the first season, but they are far, far better than store bought.

I love “mashed” potatoes, preferably skin on!!  Cut ‘em up in chunks a little bigger than your thumb.  Throw in some smashed fresh garlic, minced onion or lots of chives, a little salt, some basil, and lots of black pepper.  Boil ‘em down and then use a potato masher or similar utensil to break ‘em up nice and lumpy.

Serve  ‘em up with real salted butter and some shredded Romano cheese.

Home fries with the skin on!  Au Gratin! Scalloped! French fried with the skin on! Potato soup! Most potato salad!! Baked!!

I don’t care much for hash browns. Usually too greasy!

NOTE: Some nice strong gravy is most welcome here!

NOTE: I despise creamed or whipped potatoes.  Won’t eat ‘em!!!  That mess is like eating paste or spackling compound!

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The only way of fixing potatoes that I didn't like was the trend in the '80s of everyone serving mashed potatoes with nutmeg.  Not a tiny hint of nutmeg, but NUTMEG!!!!!

Okay, that’s a way I would not bother. Nutmeg? Seriously?! No! Not doing that. image.png.19a6a4aa95aad98d205040952931a421.png

Unpeald mashed and frid 

I have an easy way I peel the potatoes, put them in the microwave for a few minutes then boil them. Take them out and mash them, add olive oil, salt and pepper and some grated Romano cheese. My mom called them Italian potatoes. :lol:

I like mashed potatoes. (smashed, crushed, beaten, lumpy, whipped or ???)

I prefer them without skins. but will eat them either way.

However one must include a large amount of quality gravy, (white, brown, sausage, beef, turkey, chicken, and ???) and a 1/4 pound of butter on them.

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Skin preferences come down to who is washing the potato.  It is easier to properly wash the potato and serve it with skin if I'm making it.  If the grandkids are cooking, the potatoes will be skinned because I don't like eating dirt.

Gray Scotch Brite is great for scrubbing potatoes.

Had some new ones today at the Church.  Poutine.  Yumm-ooo - French Fries with brown gravy and chucks of both yellow and white cheese.  Strange combo, but delicious -Gal who made these was a Canadian - whodathunk that would taste good?  Sort of like a bag of Fritos with a scoop of canned Chile.  Sounds ugly, but tastes pretty good.

STL Suomi

I will be getting an air frier to make the fries for the poutine- That was TASTY!

Archived