SASS Wire Forum

History revisited

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Yesterday I stayed home all day to recoup from a fall.

I decided to watch some DVDs I got from the local library.  I selected three of the most historically accurate movies could find, one based on The California Gold Rush, one from The Indian Wars, and one from the Alaskan Gold Rush.  I watched them in that order.  They were:

Paint Your Wagon

The Hallelujah Trail

North To Alaska

What ate your favorite politically and historically correct westerns?

1 minute ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

My all time favorite is Lonesome Dove even though, technically, it's a miniseries.  I just saw Quigley Down Under for the umpteenth time.

I watched Quigley again last week.  It's still a great story.

I really don't think there are any movies that are truly historically accurate. If  there were they would be very long and very boring movies.

But, I like some movies  that have accuracy in them with the attire, the firearms, the vernacular of the day but events have been modified to suit the limited window of  a 2 hour move.

These are my favorites:

Open Range - true to life attire, guns and the best western gunfight I have ever seen.

Tombstone - Attire and guns accurate. Some of the history timeline is inaccurate

Wyatt Earp - I believe the characters were very realistic

Quigley Down Under - Attire and guns accurate. No idea on the historical feasibility. Just a  darn good movie.

Young Guns - Loved the history of the Lincoln County War. The guns and attire were accurate. Actual events...probably not so much.

Crossfire Trail - Attire and gun accuracy.  No idea on history.

I am not a Historian and  I do  not play one on TV. Correcting the inaccuracy of my opinion will be wasteful typing so :P

Wyatt Earp pretty much followed the real

story of Wyatt.

Tombstone, even though it’s not 100% historically correct it’s close enough

Ride with the Devil is pretty close to what I’ve read about the Civil War era and very entertaining.

Jeremiah Johnson. Leaving it all behind after the war and going up into the trapped out mountains. The scenes where the gun goes off with no smoke gripe me though. 

Fifty years ago I was watching the Hallelujah Trail with my Girlfriend. She got on the phone with her sister and pretty much ignored me so I started to take a shot every time Bert did. Let’s just say that by the time her father got home from work at midnight I was rather intoxicated and spent the night on the couch. He was not impressed 

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I watched Quigley again last week.  It's still a great story.

I agree.

Heck I'm Riding History 1981 Suzuki GS 650 GL ,,,,,,,,<_<

And I shoot a 1894 made in 1895,,, A Husky Hammered Double made in 1884,,, A SAA made in 1874 and one from 1881 ....

And my Kids think I'm Older than Dirt ...

Jabez Cowboy

i just threw out two large boxes of VCR tapes - never looked or i might have tried to keep a couple , wife came home a few days ago and said "IT IS TIME" been under the table for over two years without being touched , they are no longer relevant , im good with that she is going through a lot right now with that attitude and ill support it .....long as its not me 

On 12/14/2020 at 12:45 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Yesterday I stayed home all day to recoup from a fall.

I decided to watch some DVDs I got from the local library.  I selected three of the most historically accurate movies could find, one based on The California Gold Rush, one from The Indian Wars, and one from the Alaskan Gold Rush.  I watched them in that order.  They were:

Paint Your Wagon

The Hallelujah Trail

North To Alaska

What ate your favorite politically and historically correct westerns?

I'm not sure there is such a thing! Not in this day and age. I don't recall my VCR ever eating one though.

As a kid, I loved North to Alaska. Still do come to think of it, and I watch it whenever I see it on. I should get it and a bunch of other John Wayne movies on DVD, I suppose. 

On 12/14/2020 at 7:02 PM, Henry T Harrison said:

Fifty years ago I was watching the Hallelujah Trail with my Girlfriend. She got on the phone with her sister and pretty much ignored me so I started to take a shot every time Bert did. Let’s just say that by the time her father got home from work at midnight I was rather intoxicated and spent the night on the couch. He was not impressed 

Henry, I do believe you invented "The Drinking Game". Hahahaha :lol:

Archived