SASS Wire Forum

The Highwaymen

J-BAR #18287

Just watched “The Highwaymen”, Netflix’s new movie with Kevin Costner as Frank Hamer and Woody Harrelson as Maney Gault, Texas Rangers pursuing Bonnie and Clyde. Loved It!  Worth repeated viewing. Those two play off each other beautifully.

”Gas prices get folks riled up.”

”Clyde may be king but I’m a Texas Ranger you little....!”

So true.

Just finished watching it and enjoyed it very much. I thought it was very well done.

Watching now.  Surprisingly good, considering it has two of my least favorite Hollywood types...

I liked it but it was slow. I did appreciate that they did not glorify the criminals in any way. Didn't see either one of their faces until the end.............deer in the headlights. Would I buy it, hell no. That'd be money in the pocket of Cosner and company. 

By the way, you're paying your money to Netflix no matter what you watch.....not the individual actors.

Costner is a bit old to play Hamer though. He was 50 in 1934. 

Costner is 64.

Back in the 30's, people who were 50 then looked like today's 64-year olds...  :rolleyes:

Sheesh ~ I remember my grandpa, when he was fifty - that dude was downright ancient!  :lol:

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Back in the 30's, people who were 50 then looked like today's 64-year olds...  :rolleyes:

Sheesh ~ I remember my grandpa, when he was fifty - that dude was downright ancient!  :lol:

That's because its not the age' its the mileage. ;)

From Wiki:

“In 1953, Frank Hamer suffered a heat stroke and though he lived two more years, never regained his health.[41] He was buried near his son in Memorial Park Cemetery in Austin.[42] In his life he was wounded 17 times and left for dead four times. He is credited with having killed between 53[8] and almost 70[43] people.”

talk about mileage...!

Frank Hamer has been unfairly depicted as brutal and overbearing.  He was the right person at the right time.  While Bonnie and Clyde have acquired the visage of Robin Hood and his merry band.  Maybe this movie will make public opinions swing in the right direction. 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:16 AM, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Frank Hamer has been unfairly depicted as brutal and overbearing.  He was the right person at the right time.  While Bonnie and Clyde have acquired the visage of Robin Hood and his merry band.  Maybe this movie will make public opinions swing in the right direction. 

Unfortunately Bonnie & Clyde will always be glorified because we have an enduring fascination with bad people.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Costner is a bit old to play Hamer though. He was 50 in 1934. 

Costner is 64.

Hamer at 50, is about 200 in Hollywood years.

For more perspective into Hamer's life this book is a must read!!  For that matter...any other of O'Neals books!   Gladys was no slouch in a gun fight herself! https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Sims-Feud-Juliet-C-Greene/dp/1574414755/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=bill+o'neal+feud&qid=1554766234&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull 

Slow movie. No chemistry between Costner and Harrelson. Gault was sure enthused about the Colt SAA as opposed to, say, a Thompson. Lordy.

Not good enough to watch again.

4 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Why do we do that?  Is it the remnants of a rebellious spirit because we have never really grown up?

Tens of thousands of people attended the funerals of both Bonnie & Clyde as if they were rock stars. The surviving family members of the people they killed, especially the cops they ambushed were sickened by it. But unfortunately it tells a lot more about us than it does them. The public is both repulsed and fascinated by vicious killers at the same time, as we've seen even with recent mass killers like Ted Bundy, Charles Manson and Jeffery Dahmer. It's as if we expect them to be inhuman monsters completely unrelated to us, only to realize that they're no different than any of our friends and family members aside from the choices they made.

On 4/3/2019 at 10:38 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I liked the movie.  A good ol' shootem' up.  The scene that tickled me the most was when Hamer walked into the gun store and was able to buy his arsenal.

Me too! Those were the days, before politicians raped the Second Ammendment.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:38 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

The scene that tickled me the most was when Hamer walked into the gun store and was able to buy his arsenal.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Tens of thousands of people attended the funerals of both Bonnie & Clyde as if they were rock stars. The surviving family members of the people they killed, especially the cops they ambushed were sickened by it. But unfortunately it tells a lot more about us than it does them. The public is both repulsed and fascinated by vicious killers at the same time, as we've seen even with recent mass killers like Ted Bundy, Charles Manson and Jeffery Dahmer. It's as if we expect them to be inhuman monsters completely unrelated to us, only to realize that they're no different than any of our friends and family members aside from the choices they made.

Technically, you can’t label Manson as a murderer. Crazy evil b@$tard but not a murderer.

I'm just bummed that they cut a lot of my wife's nephew's scenes.  He's credited as "Tough Migrant Worker (Oklahoma)".  Apparently they filled a whole exchange there that got cut for time...

3 hours ago, Red Eye Jim said:

I'm just bummed that they cut a lot of my wife's nephew's scenes.  He's credited as "Tough Migrant Worker (Oklahoma)".  Apparently they filled a whole exchange there that got cut for time...

Was that the scene where the migrants stood in front of their car and blocked their way?

5 hours ago, grenadier said:

Technically, you can’t label Manson as a murderer. Crazy evil b@$tard but not a murderer.

The court would disagree. He was convicted of seven counts of first degree murder and one count of conspiracy to commit.

Archived