SASS Wire Forum

The Highwaymen

J-BAR #18287

Good flick.

Finally got around to watching it. Dark portrayal of a dark time. Well done. And kudos to the director for not lauding B&C as heroes like other similar movies have done, but as the cold blooded murderers they were. 

They met a very violent end but that's the only way that was going to happen. 

I liked the movie. My wife and I watched it last night. As far as I can tell the movie was portrayed pretty close to the actual events. 

On another note, when I was a kid we had a big family get together and my Dad had invited some of his drinking buddies. Scofflaws, one and all. The subject of Bonnie and Clyde was being discussed. This was after the Bonnie & Clyde movie with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway had been out for a while. The discussion was much more pro Bonnie and Clyde and anti law enforcement.

My Dad’s friend Virgil asked me what I thought of the way the cops took out Bonnie and Clyde. 

My response was “They should have done it sooner and used a lot more bullets” - I was 8 years old at the time. 

My comment put a quick damper on the conversation. I was told to go outside and play.

I personally think we need a Frank Hamer, or a couple of thousand of him today.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...I personally think we need a Frank Hamer, or a couple of thousand of him today.

I would add to that a few Bill Tilghmans, Chris Madsens, Bass Reeves, a Heck Thomas or two, and a platoon of Bill Jordans.

At end I remembered that one of woody's first movies was natural born killers, which was like a modern retelling of bonnie and clyde.  So he's now played both sides of the murderous rampage on the silver screen. 

All in all it was very good, and as far as I can tell they did a good job with the firearms.  I noticed right off the bat that all the Winchesters had the long fore-end, which would have been correct in the 1930's. 

Archived